Blaze Orange?

I always have orange jacket or vest on and an orange hat. There are alot of folks that hunt with brown carhart coats, but most of those folks are gone after the opener.

Badger, real hunters hunt with a 20 gauge. Not sure I understand your logic, except it takes a good shot to use a 20 gauge. I prefer 20 gauge because it is light.

Jim, I'm always in to much of a rush to get hunting, when we get to the field. So I dress Tony at home. He gets his e-collar and Orange vest on there. He always wears a Orange nameplate collar so that one is always there. I stress this for all who read this, never put the dogs name on a collar. Your name and phone number only. If you put on the dog's name, you just make it that much easier for the thieves......Bob

Orange collar on the dogs and orange hat, vest, etc for me. If hunting by myself, I still wear the orange. If nothing else, I hope to make it easier for someone to find me if I ever needed help when out by myself.

Yes, blaze orange is the way to go. I always wear a blaze orange hat and most of the time an orange hoodie as well.

. I stress this for all who read this, never put the dogs name on a collar. Your name and phone number only. If you put on the dog's name, you just make it that much easier for the thieves......Bob

I disagree. I can change a smart dogs name in a week, so it makes no difference if your dogs name is on the collar. On the other hand if a month from when its stolen or lost and it still has its original name and you see it at the local dog park at least you can call it to you.

Although we all have the ability to change a dogs name, I agree with Bob on the collar. I have: Reward if Found and a phone number. Hopefully the reward will get him back to you; but if not at least you have the opportunity to find him before someone does change the name. Most people who will keep a dog are not one of us and may not have the dog 'mojo' that we possess. Have we hijacked this thread...:eek:

I'll rejack this thread back to blaze orange...

A nice gesture to the non-hunters is to keep at the least some blaze flagging tape with us in the field (or you could go with a cheapo vest, but the flagging tape is much easier to carry and of course, cheaper).

Since I don't hunt with a dog, I always keep a couple 2 - 3 foot legnts of flagging tape with a weight at the end. When I shoot a bird, I can mark where I was, and toss one to where the bird went down. This way, I have good references for my search for the birds. You all know how invisible a bird can be, and the tape keeps me from getting too far from where I should be looking.

The 'reaching out to non-hunters' part comes when you find someone in the woods during the season, and they don't have any bright clothing on (or a dog without anything bright on - especially in deer season). I once made a little girl very happy by giving her a "pretty orange ribbon" to wave around - and gently counseled her mother about the stupidity of having a little kid running around in a green coat in the woods during hunting season. The mother argued that only an idiot would mistake a child for a bird (she had asked what season it was earlier in the conversation), and I told her that the danger wasn't in her child being targeted, but by someone not seeing her BEHIND the target as her coat blended in pretty well with pines.

It makes us all look better when we show that we go that extra step to try to avoid accidents. Hopefully you don't live in an area where hunters are looked at as annoying at best and borderline criminals at worst, but for those like me here in occupied territory, we need to try to project a spotless image to the masses of sheep that live among us.

Cowdog, The dog was stolen out of my back yard kennel. I hope you never get the phone call I did. I quote, "Thanks for the nice hunting dog. Misty is one great hunter thanks again." That taught me, never but never put the dogs name on the ID plate on a collar........Bob

Last edited:
Cowdog, The dog was stolen out of my back yard kennel. I hope you never get the phone call I did. I quote, "Thanks for the nice hunting dog. Misty is one great hunter thanks again." That taught me, never but never put the dogs name on the ID plate on a collar........Bob

That sucks and I feel for your loss but I dont see how not putting the name on the tag would change anything, just sayin.
Back on topic, I never wear orange unless hunting with others, Nobody hunts the ground I do but me.I do keep an orange hat handy in case I pick up a partner.

Last edited:
Cowdog, The dog was stolen out of my back yard kennel. I hope you never get the phone call I did. I quote, "Thanks for the nice hunting dog. Misty is one great hunter thanks again."

Bob, I'm confused. So the guy actually called you? Did you talk to him or was it on your answering machine? Takes a pretty low individual to do something like that, then actually call you. Wow.

That sucks Bob, I hope that nobody else ever has to experience that. Back to the thread topic..:rolleyes: I think that Kansas state law is 100 sq inches front and back and I believe thats the same for headwear. I always wear orange, even though I don't hunt thick enough cover to actually warrant it. I do it because it's the law and accidents, well, they are just that an accident, happen and if the Blaze Orange gives me just a 1% better chance of not getting shot due to being seen than that's perfectly fine by me. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Kansasbrittany can validate this, I tell everyone at the beginning of our hunts that I brought X number of hunters out and I intend to end the day with X number of hunters so be safe. We're not bird hogs, everyone will get a chance to shoot a bird so I tell everyone not to take chances and think before they pull the trigger..

Ryan yes, it is true, He actually called me on the phone, that was back around 1988. So we didn't have the tech stuff we have today. I know not putting the name on the name tag don't help much. But it does make it a little harder for a while.

We have the same law here you must be wearing 400 sq. inch of Blase orange including hat. The wardens rarely check that close. You really have to be breaking the law or something bad for them to get into that law........Bob

Last edited:
I just returned from South Dakota on a pheasant hunt.The group of guys I was invited to hunt with had thier share of horror stories to tell about "accidents" that have happened in the 30 years they have been hunting there.One guy still has a bb in his cheek near his eye from being shot in the line of fire by another careless hunter,one boy shot his cousin and blinded him in one eye.I was concerned not knowing any of these guys and wore alot of blaze orange and safety glasses while hunting.We hunted standing corn mostly and I felt wearing the blaze orange helped all of us see each other and the blockers would see us coming through the fields and keep thier shots and muzzles pointed up.We had no incidents while I was there and I felt we all were as safe as we could be,wearing blaze orange definitely helped us.

Blaze orange is not required here in Oregon. I say that i have gone away from wearing blaze orange clothing. My strap style vest is blaze orange and i match it usually with a bright blue shirt/jacket. I have found that alot of the hunting area's i hunt especially this time of year has alot of brush/small trees with orange leaves and the grasses/crp is a brownish orange color. We have found that we stand out alot better matching a bunch of bright blue.

I do obviously agree that you need some kind of bright easily seen clothing on.

Back