Blaze Hat On The Dash

webguy

UPH Owner/Founder
Staff member
Question: Why do some of us as hunters put a blaze orange cap in the corner of the front dash? I was on I-90 in South Dakota and about every 9/10 hunting vehicles had the blaze caps in the corner of the front dash. Some even had a double going! Let's hear the psychological theories.

Tired of wearing it and that's where it lands as I toss it off...

Last place available! Between hunters, coolers, dogs, enough clothes and food to winter over at Valley Forge, it's the only place left, along with the maps.

It's like flying the American flag. You got to be proud of your colors:thumbsup:

Or for swating flies

I take it off when I drive and that is the easiest spot to put it.

Didn't you know that in SD the Blaze Orange Hat on the dash is state required and is part of the fair chase and pursuit act of 2005? It lets the birds know that a "Pheasant Killing Machine is Driving this Truck".

extra hat to let others know you are hunting there

I think a lot of us leave orange in the window in anticipation of parking at the edge of a field and letting that be the sign to others we are hunting there, not working in the field, crop adjusting or any of the other possible activities that could be going on.

On my way to SD last year, I was on I-80 going across Nebraska and I saw a small spot in my mirror. I continued to watch the spot get larger and after many minutes, a car a passed me with an orange hat on the dash. It was the hat that I first saw.

When in SD, I don't allow anyone in my car to wear an orange hat until we get to the field. I have not done anything wrong, but I don't want to be stopped by the police of any sort. I think the orange hat attracts attention and I don't want any.

When we're done hunting, the blaze caps come off and our favorite ball caps go on. A couple blaze caps always end up on the dash.

I hate wearing caps so as soon as I can I get rid of it. Which is as soon as I enter the SUV.........Bob

Great list of responses! My favorites...."puts me in a good mood" YES, every morning when heading out I put it there and I always have a set of tail feathers next to it.

The other one that holds very true...."it's the only available spot left in the truck"

I started doing it because everyone else did! I've worked real hard on my index finger wave from the top of the steering wheel, too!

blase orange caps???

My dash will be covered with the pink thingy that web guy is trying to get out to all of us.:D

I now know why to keep it on the dash. So when you first start walking away from the truck, you can look back and see its not on your head. And not figure that out when you get a half mile from where you parked.:(

Hunting in the rain today I remembered the second reason. To dry it off with the defroster.

Hat on the Dash says "Howdy"

I think a blaze orange hat on the dash says, "Howdy. I came here to hunt and I hope to have a good time, appreciate your country, and be appreciated in return. It's all good."

It's very simple - we want to reduce the chance of getting shot. We wear the orange hat on our head so the other hunters in the field can see us better. We put the orange hat on the dash so the road hunters can see us better.

Back