Best chokes for #4 shot in a 16 ga.

My choice: IC/Mod; unless the birds are 40 yards plus, the full choke is too tight for close in birds--especially if you want to eat them. You can feel confident with IC/Mod, particularly if you have a cpmpetent canine companion. If you are required to shoot steel at roosters where you hunt, DON'T use full, you could damage the barrels.

Better pattern it. 4s are pretty big for 16 ga., and sometimes the patterns are pretty thin.

shoot 3" 5s or 6s IC and mod. they'll do the trick. 4s are OK

It's been hinted that 4s are too big in 16 ga. Not in my opinion, as I'm satisfied if I can put 150 pellets in the air. Nothing wrong with 1-1/8 oz of lead 4s. Even 1 oz of bismuth 4s are good. Just need to put them in the right place at the right time. Steel 4s suck past 30-35 yds & therefore should be avoided under all circumstances. (unless you like severely limiting yourself) All that said, I don't think lead 4s are required, but about 2% of the time. A lead 4 will have around 65 yds of lethal pellet range, whereas a 5 still has nearly 55 yds, which is almost always more than enough in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'm thinking of using Mod & Imp. Mod. Anyone think that's too tight?
I'd lean more towards IC and Mod. No way to really know what's best in your gun unless you pattern it. The other variable is knowing at what distance most of your shots will be taken.

I’ll be using Mod/Full in my side by side this month. I’ll take my IC choke just in case they are getting up closer than I expect. My 20 has IC/Mod fixed and I’ll probably take it too.

I like mod/ full or full/full but as s davis said, 4s don't pattern that great from a 16, at least from my guns. My buddy has shot nothing but IC his whole life. He says anything else plays with his brain. I've messed with chokes and shot sizes more than most and It's been my experiences that it doesn't matter what choke you shoot, sometime during the day it will be the wrong one! Most guys would be better off with sticking to mod. and getting good at judging where your range is. When the gun hits your shoulder, you should have one of three thoughts. Killable, Iffy, too far. When I take the shot that I know is to far, I always have another thought. I'm a dumbass!

Most of my guns, 16 gauge or otherwise, are skt1/skt2 (a bit more open than IC, and a bit tighter than IC). Single barrel guns are usually IC…right up until January. I did buy a LM tube for my BUL 12 gauge, may use it late season.

Late in the season I will load a #4 in the L barrel of my 16 ga SxS. The gun is a fixed choked IC/M. It works just fine.

Most of my guns, 16 gauge or otherwise, are skt1/skt2 (a bit more open than IC, and a bit tighter than IC). Single barrel guns are usually IC…right up until January. I did buy a LM tube for my BUL 12 gauge, may use it late season.
And you hunt pointers or do you have a flushing dog as well? I dont recall

I'm no choke expert, but I do pattern my guns. If I was going to spend the money on an after market choke, I would definitely call the manufacturer and get their recommendations as to gun, load, and hunting style.

I took mine with Mod/Full to SD. Ended up putting the IC in the right barrel and full in left. IC was great for most birds, but had a few that got by us and being able to turn and get on them with the Full and that 2nd trigger, not many got away. Loving my double trigger gun.

I didn’t pattern mine before I went, but should have. I highly recommend patterning it with your chokes to be sure. But I am going to get Briley to make me a LM and IM choke for next year.

Back