Best chokes for #4 shot in a 16 ga.

I have 3 16 gauge S x S’s that are choked skt 1/ skt 2…(a bit more open than IC/ a bit tighter than IC)…have worked well with #4 lead. I’m a fan of more open vs more tight. Good gun, crappy gun…the pattern is a function of the barrel constriction, IMO.

I have 3 16 gauge S x S’s that are choked skt 1/ skt 2…(a bit more open than IC/ a bit tighter than IC)…have worked well with #4 lead. I’m a fan of more open vs more tight. Good gun, crappy gun…the pattern is a function of the barrel constriction, IMO.
I prefer open chokes, but I wound more birds.If I miss with full, I miss completely, usually. I'm liking 16 guage, shooting 4s. I'll try 6s.

That’s not a bad thought…tight choke + more, smaller pellets…I’ve considered that too…👍
True to a certain extent. I turkey hunt and squirrel hunt with 7'5's. Obviously you get more hits within your range. But that's the key! WITHIN YOUR RANGE. Get too far out and you won't get the penetration a 6 will. Before steel, I hunted ducks with heavy load 7.5's from a 16 ga. full. So, my 1st wild pheasant hunt that's what I took. Big mistake as I took every shot I could. Came home with about 50% of birds down. Then it dawned on me that ducks can't run!

My thought is that # 6 lead isn’t that small; I normally shoot 5 lead with a pretty open choke all season long. I guess you experiment and find what works. I do shoot 6 lead early season if I have them…first week or two, maybe three…again, I prefer 5’s…will shoot 4’s, mainly because I have several boxes of 16 gauge #4 lead…

I made some really long shots last trip, mostly crossers with vitals more exposed…and lost several straight aways at closer range…🤔

True to a certain extent. I turkey hunt and squirrel hunt with 7'5's. Obviously you get more hits within your range. But that's the key! WITHIN YOUR RANGE. Get too far out and you won't get the penetration a 6 will. Before steel, I hunted ducks with heavy load 7.5's from a 16 ga. full. So, my 1st wild pheasant hunt that's what I took. Big mistake as I took every shot I could. Came home with about 50% of birds down. Then it dawned on me that ducks can't run!
I use 3 inch lead BB for turkey. They are big boys!!

That's a good point.Shooting any load past 45 yards, is iffy.

Back