Anyone seeing any quail in Mo

jimmy j

Was wondering if any one else is seeing little quail as I have seen a few and several pairs while I have been farming. The Mo forum has been quiet and since this is a pheasant forum do understand but we only have quail where I live in Mo but have traveled to Ks, Ok, and Sd in the past 30 years to hunt not only pheasants but quail and went once to Arizona and NM and hunted desert quail with some success in most places.

I am always interested in quail. I have not seen any young birds, I believe the nesting season getting a late start. If we get reasonable temperatures from here out, lower rainfall, short and warm, we might do all right. Here in the west part of the state, farmers are just getting in their fields for beans, earlier seeding of corn got a good start. Remember we had decent quail numbers with birds born in early August, got to November and they were like 12 weeks old, needed about 4 weeks to hunt!

Was wondering if any one else is seeing little quail as I have seen a few and several pairs while I have been farming. The Mo forum has been quiet and since this is a pheasant forum do understand but we only have quail where I live in Mo but have traveled to Ks, Ok, and Sd in the past 30 years to hunt not only pheasants but quail and went once to Arizona and NM and hunted desert quail with some success in most places.

I am glad you posted i love talking quail as well or how about just hearing them whistle hopefully in the nw corner as i have a feeling ks is going to be another rough one. In new mexico im guessing you just hunted public? I would like to go to montana and hunt huns pheasants or just whatever is legal there ive never killed any other bird than just bobwhites,phez and prairie chickens

Howdy quail hunters....

I'm not in MO.....but have seen and heard several quail calling here in KY.
We have had more cold and wet than normal......but the cover is thick and should provide good nesting habitat.....

Last season was pretty good here....as I did not travel to KS (drought).

Found several good coveys on land enrolled in the CREP program......best day was 8+ coveys.....and that's pretty good these days anywhere.

You all are welcome to visit and hunt if you feel up to traveling southwards.
Maybe we can trade a few hunts....?

Hopefully the bird numbers will rebound in KS soon.....I love hunting out west.

HB68

Yesterday, I heard 5 distinct rooster quail calling at dusk while I watched my youngster practice softball. New high school, surrounded by about a section of fescue pasture. It took me a while to believe it. I thought that they were gone in that area. Last year, there was a prevent plant field which grew up in the most glorious stand of ragweed, nice plum brush, in creek bottoms, across the road. I figured if I were a quail it would be heaven, I had to restrain myself not to run a dog through it, though it is in the city. I think the nesting is late, we just got decent weather here, the drought helped the quail last year, hopefully a good year this season, may be we will become bird hunters again, rather than bird watchers!

Two weeks ago was doing a lot of backroads driving. Counted 9 different pairs on the gravel roads (admittedly covered a lot of gravel roads doing this) but didn't see any young birds yet. Seeing pairs is better than seeing nothing.

Well my wife has been up too Nixa area for the past few days visiting the Grandchild. I asked her to get me a Quail report from the locals. I'd be willing to bet she forgets!:)

Iam now hearing lots of bob-whiting and while drinking coffee this morning there was a male bob-whiting in tree in the slough by our house and he came out to get grit and mullberrys that are on ground in same slough. We have lots of different birds here now eating mullberrys and other wildlife too eating them. Hopefully have a brood of quail in slough as there is usually a good covey there in the fall but normally don't kill many as they are hard to get pointed and aren't gentleman bobs anymore but cant be and survive.

My brother in law was mowing hay on his place about 10 days ago in central Mo. He bumped 2 huge coveys of all young birds he said. He backed out of those spots and left the lespedeeza standing for them. Says it's the 2 largest coveys he as ever seen on his place. Good news.

Thanks for sharing. Expect northern Missouri to be better this year. Hoping to average 3 or 4 shots a day and hunt the whole season.

Bollinger Co.

I have seen/heard more birds this spring and summer than any year in recent memory. The Dogs and I can't wait!!!

While dove hunting yesterday, my GSP was retrieving a dove, spit it out and bailed into a waterway. I was yelling at her about dropping the dove when she goes on point and out in front of her a covey of young quail flushed. They kept getting up for what seemed like minutes, just one or two at a time. Were only big enough to get up over the wings, sail for about 10 yards, and then drop back down in the waterway.

After I got her pulled off of them to leave them alone, she went back to the dropped dove, picked it up, and brought it back to me. :)

Quail

Got up nice covey of adults tonight while dove hunting in a spot I have never in ten years seen quail. Cleared area about 3 years ago. Got up a covey of juveniles about two weeks ago while exercising dogs by gravel road in same area. The land on and around that area was not farmed this year due to a death.

I have 2 coveys on and around my property of 15 or so birds. When I was out dove hunting up the road I heard a few calling down by the creek. It's looking like a better year than what we've had for a while.

My buddy flushed a small covey while dove hunting opening weekend. Seemed to be pretty small, maybe 6 adult birds. But it was on a quail emphasis conservation area so that is always a pleasant surprise.

Back