All tuned up for the weekend-

cheesy

Had about 3 hours to kill yesterday afternoon and ended with this near my house here in Missouri. 2 pointed coveys and a pointed single, 3 birds with 4 shots from the 60 year old Ithaca 37 16 guage. Unfortunately, worked and worked to find the first bird that fell in a bramble thicket and never found it. Even made a couple passes through an hour later and didn't pick up any scent.

Hopefully Sunday I'm posting big bird pics
61E93CBA-8D83-4F26-9AE7-7B7F48D6E408-235-00000010F36C759B_zpsb20ea8e3.jpg

That's a great picture!

Good to get the dog into birds.

I took my two out for a quick run. We found one small group of birds, and got them pointed at 400+ yards. My younger setter Indy has to make a big cast when he thinks we are almost done. It gets old to be at the truck, and he goes on point at the other end of the farm.

Cheesy,

That is a good looking dog, but that little boy's smile steals the picture. I miss having one that age some time. Love that old 37, I have my dad's old one circa 1945, but it has a polychoke on it:eek:. I think I am going to take it somewhere and have it removed.

Thanks fellas.

The dog came from the litter Cory had on here, I think several of us got pups off of him the fall of 2009.

That boy is a ham in front of the camera, my wife is kind of an amateur photographer (out doing engagement pics when this pic was taken), and I think he hasn't missed a day that she isn't taking his picture.

I picked up this Ithaca off gunbroker last year. Haven't checked the serial number for age, but it is at least pre-1953 (I think that was the year they quit installing the 'helper' bar on the magazine cap, been a while since I researched them) After each shot the spent shell was hanging up in the chamber. I took a 1/2" wood dowel wrapped in 200 grit paper, and polished it up pretty nice. Operates flawlessly now. Modified choke is just right for pheasants, a bit too much for quail but I did alright. Have its skinnier sister in a 20 guage, 1953 version, but it is full choked. I hit pretty good with it though, probably my favorite shotgun. When I come across a used but not abused 12 guage, I'll finish the trifecta of 37's.

Great photo! Looks like a hunting team.

Cheesy,

That is a good looking dog, but that little boy's smile steals the picture. I miss having one that age some time. Love that old 37, I have my dad's old one circa 1945, but it has a polychoke on it:eek:. I think I am going to take it somewhere and have it removed.

I agree nothing better! Even though there wasn't much i bet you two had a blast!

Great pic, even the dog has a smile. A few more years and that boy will be out shooting dad.:thumbsup:

Good times with family hunting is some of my and my kids fondest memories. I wish I could find another Ithaca 37 or featherlight. My daughter has a 20 ga. and I love it.

Back