A new fetish....S x S's

I have several O/U's have to admitt I like the stacked barrel guns. I have had a Ithaca(SKB) 20ga SXS that has made my new gun meter peg lately, but I just rechecked the price.....$1300.00 too much for a fixed choke gun

No, I don't think it is too much. When you consider it an Ithaca SXS which are few and far betwen. It is a fair price. You might talk wityh your dealer if the is the MSRP you can get some taken of of that. If it is used make an offer and see if they will take it.---Bob

The Ithaca-SKB models are bringing some nice prices. I presume you mean the 100-200 series? SKB went on after that venture to make some fancy sxs, but you do not see many of them around. They sold a ton more of the o/u models. Good solid guns for the right $. Not enough English models out there though.
________
Buy vapolution

Last edited:
Problem is, I just spent a $1000 bucks with the guy about 3 weeks ago. I did get a fantastic deal. I got a Browning Citori Superlight with english stock and schnabel forend in 20ga.....Drum Roll....like new......$850.00 That was a great buy. I bought some other things from him too.

He does have a "FANTASTIC" deal on a new Benelli Legancy 20ga for $1225.00

Problem is, I just spent a $1000 bucks with the guy about 3 weeks ago. I did get a fantastic deal. I got a Browning Citori Superlight with english stock and schnabel forend in 20ga.....Drum Roll....like new......$850.00 That was a great buy. I bought some other things from him too.

He does have a "FANTASTIC" deal on a new Benelli Legancy 20ga for $1225.00

Excellent buy on the Citori. Do you feel guilty?
________
BUY GLASS BONG

Last edited:
Nope! I always been a man to take advantage when a deal too good to pass up presents it's self.

I think I may buy the Benelli 20ga Legacy from him. the Ithaca I found has a shortened stock. He made me a offer on my 20ga A5 Magnum. Just not enough cash for it. I'll keep it and maybe pick up the Benelli, I can shoot steel though it and it's very light weight to carry. I'm not a Benelli fan, I had too many falures with the SBE's I had. I do like this little 20s though

Last edited:
Bought the fausti "style" last weekend at the Cabela's in Rogers, Mn...got it for $1149 when it was all said and done. Like it alot, especially the fact that it was a couple grand less than I originally planned on spending, so I will be a bit less squeamish hunting hard with the gun knowing dings and scratches will occur. Shoots where I point it...like it quite well. Not an AYA, Merkel, CSMC or an Uggie, but it will give me the experience of hunting and shooting a S X S. Thanks all for your advice. BB.

BB,I have one that I like very much. I too am a lover of the stacked barrel design, either SxS or O/U I don't care I love them all.---Bob

BB,

Congratulations on acquiring SxS disease - most researchers have determined that it is incurable! :D

I myself went the "buy less expensive first" route to see what I liked. In addition to shooting my own guns, I've tried a couple other SxSs and shouldered a number in the shops and have figured out what I like in terms of configuration. Now I plan to take some time getting better at mounting, swinging, and hitting targets before I take the big plunge to get fitted for a SxS and move up in quality. I'll always have the cheaper guns - which work very well BTW - to bang about in the thick brush or loan out during a hunt.

FWIW I bought a used 20 ga. CZ Bobwhite (English grip w/DT & Schnable forearm) then did the CDNN trick with a 12 ga. CZ Partridge (same as Bobwhite but w/coin finish). At the prices I paid, they're very good deals for what you get.

Last edited:
Coulda and probaby shoulda bought a 20 Bobwhite at a hair over $500 when Sportsman's left Sioux Falls. I like the smaller ga CZs but the 12s seem pretty heavy after carring my Spanish guns around. The Franchi Destino will affect the gun budget for a long time.
________
Eiji Toyoda

Last edited:
I have owned my first S x S for about a month now...I have gotten my money's worth already, and I have only shot it once! I leave it in various rooms of my house, leaning up against a corner. I probably shoulder it 20 times a day, and there are at least 20 other times when I just gaze at it from whereever I happen to be sitting. I really like the lines of these guns...I have never been quite this smitten with a gun before. I do really like the aesthetics of my citori gran lightning 16 gauge, but I must say that the s x s is really a beautiful creature. Now I must go...there is a gun to be shouldered!

Coulda and probaby shoulda bought a 20 Bobwhite at a hair over $500 when Sportsman's left Sioux Falls. I like the smaller ga CZs but the 12s seem pretty heavy after carring my Spanish guns around. The Franchi Destino will affect the gun budget for a long time.

If your gun is half as nice as the one on Frachi's webpage, that's a fine gun!

My 20 weighs in at just over 6 1/2 lbs (very nice to carry) and the 12 is 7 1/3 lbs. I agree that CZ 12 gauges are a bit heavy for hours in the field, but it was bought for a backup to the 20 and fair-weather duck hunting. Someday a very fine upland 12 ga. will find its way into my possession. :D

Just thought I'd update. Carried my CZ 12 ga. for three hours on the opener and didn't notice the weight a bit. Got a nice rooster out of the deal, watched a lot of birds fly around, enjoyed some great dog-work and had a blast with the SxS!

Congratulations and condolences on your SXS fixation.
You should check out doubleshotguns.com and look at Ugarthechea. They are, in my opinion some of the best values out there. They have Grade I boxlock non ejectors (BLNE), Grade III boxlock ejectors (BLE) and Grade IV, true 5 pin sidelocks ejectors with intercepting sears (SLE) for $2995. I doubt that you can find a better value anywhere. I have a Grade IV 28" in 12ga that weighs 6lbs 12oz choked IC/M and it's a great gun to carry and shoot.

I have had SxS from time to time since 1962. A few tips I will pass along. 1. Never look at the barrels. Learn to shoot it using the Rib Beads only. .---Bob

If you're looking at the barrels or the rib or anything besides the bird, you're gonna miss. Shotguns are not rifles, don't aim them, point them

I bought a Franchi Highlander 20 SXS last year. Comes up very quick and shoots well. I like the screw in chokes and the auto safety is a good feature.

Back