2022/2023 PHEASANT Hunting Videos

Thanks for the video - great dog work...does the tail ever stop?
Jon,
No, it doesn't. We took him out for a run in the snow yesterday, & I was telling my wife that I'd love to see a computer-generated model of a springer's musculoskeletal system while running. All the bones & muscles working together, doing "running" things. Then this little group back here, keeping that tail going 100 mph, seemingly off in la-la land.

Here's my latest. Kind of a shorty, but action packed!! :ROFLMAO:
It goes back to a gorgeous day in early December. I've seen so much snow lately, even in videos, struggling through drifted/snowed in cattails & trudging across frozen tundras, that it was kind of fun to re-live a beautiful day without it. Grass & weeds. Fencelines. Even some sun!

Thanks for slowly weaning me off of the season, Brent. Nice job once again.

It goes back to a gorgeous day in early December. I've seen so much snow lately, even in videos, struggling through drifted/snowed in cattails & trudging across frozen tundras, that it was kind of fun to re-live a beautiful day without it. Grass & weeds. Fencelines. Even some sun!

Another great video! Looks like your practicing of the gun mount summoned a rooster to see if you could do it again, and you answered the call nicely! That first bird in the slow motion video you see it pop back up after it fell, we it winged or just a dead bounce? Thanks for all the great video from the 22 season, enjoy your off season with Ace.

Another great video! Looks like your practicing of the gun mount summoned a rooster to see if you could do it again, and you answered the call nicely! That first bird in the slow motion video you see it pop back up after it fell, we it winged or just a dead bounce? Thanks for all the great video from the 22 season, enjoy your off season with Ace.
Thanks. I'm glad they're entertaining. That 1st bounce was a dead bird. Of course Murphy's Law assured that I didn't get that retrieve on camera, but I guess there are bigger problems in the world. You're not the 1st person to mention that it seemed like my gun mounts spoke to the pheasant gods & they answered with a rooster. The reality was I had 2 in the vest plus water bottles, I was getting warm, pushing up my sleeves, & wanted to make sure everything was free & loose, because I could tell Ace was somewhat birdy.

Thanks for posting the video! I really enjoy watching them. Ace does a mighty fine job on those birds. I'd like to put in a request that you and Golden Hour post a video or two each month to take all of us to this fall ;). It'll be kind of a support group for bird hunting withdrawal.

Im kind of caching up on all these videos it' s interesting who shoots alot per bird and who shoots better. Seems like all your shooting got worse later in teh season.. Not being criticizing, just saying its a fact. Still good and fun to watch I think my next dog will defnitely be a golden lab but I better not tell Benny that. lol

Im kind of caching up on all these videos it' s interesting who shoots alot per bird and who shoots better. Seems like all your shooting got worse later in teh season.. Not being criticizing, just saying its a fact. Still good and fun to watch I think my next dog will defnitely be a golden lab but I better not tell Benny that. lol
I'd choose a field-bred springer, rather than a lab, but I'm not very impartial. :ROFLMAO:
There are legit reasons for "shooting worse" late in the season, at least on wild pheasants in the upper Midwest. Given the time, I could list several & add a few that aren't so legit.

Pheasants grow stronger/faster as the season progresses. They really don't have to fly very much during the spring and summer and early fall, so their muscles aren't at peak capacity. Factor in that they are not only evading hunters and their dogs, the fall and winter start to remove a lot of cover and since it isn't safe to walk in the open they fly. All that to say, they are about as muscular as they're going to get in January.

Second part of the equation, for me, is foot placement. A guy's boots are in some pretty wonky directions in the cattails sometimes and that certainly has an effect. But, if you get yourself a yellow lab, you don't have to worry about missing as I promise you the dog is going to find you another rooster to shoot at. ;)

Pheasants grow stronger/faster as the season progresses. They really don't have to fly very much during the spring and summer and early fall, so their muscles aren't at peak capacity. Factor in that they are not only evading hunters and their dogs, the fall and winter start to remove a lot of cover and since it isn't safe to walk in the open they fly. All that to say, they are about as muscular as they're going to get in January.

Second part of the equation, for me, is foot placement. A guy's boots are in some pretty wonky directions in the cattails sometimes and that certainly has an effect. But, if you get yourself a yellow lab, you don't have to worry about missing as I promise you the dog is going to find you another rooster to shoot at. ;)
I read an anecdotal thing once that listed like 5 advantages a rooster has late season & 5 disadvantages a hunter has, which equated to a 10-point swing in favor of pheasants. It was based on reality, but pretty cutesy & entertaining. Seems like it was Mike McIntosh, Gene Hill, or somebody like that. I'll have to try to find it.

I read an anecdotal thing once that listed like 5 advantages a rooster has late season & 5 disadvantages a hunter has, which equated to a 10-point swing in favor of pheasants. It was based on reality, but pretty cutesy & entertaining. Seems like it was Mike McIntosh, Gene Hill, or somebody like that. I'll have to try to find it.
Very interesting. I'd be really interested to find it. I tried a quick Google search, but didn't see it.

As for the dog, I think you are wanting a Yellow Lab, not a Golden They are two different breeds. My yellow is of the Fox Red variety and is a Pointing Lab. He comes from a long line of pointing stock. He is super fun to hunt over for both upland and waterfowl.

As for the dog, I think you are wanting a Yellow Lab, not a Golden They are two different breeds. My yellow is of the Fox Red variety and is a Pointing Lab. He comes from a long line of pointing stock. He is super fun to hunt over for both upland and waterfowl.
Huh i guess your right. Didn't know they were officially called Yellow Labs & a Golden Lab was a mix but a Yellow Lab is what I'll get prolly. I heard things like red, pointing and silver aren't really breeds and just water down true lab lines. Don't know if theirs any truth to it.

Huh i guess your right. Didn't know they were officially called Yellow Labs & a Golden Lab was a mix but a Yellow Lab is what I'll get prolly. I heard things like red, pointing and silver aren't really breeds and just water down true lab lines. Don't know if theirs any truth to it.
Sorry I was not clearer in my original post...

Yellow, Chocolate, and Black are the official Lab colors. Silver is not! A Fox Red is a version color of Yellow. In research the Fox Red has been indicated as to what the yellow labs looked like at first. A Yellow can be from a dark red/orange all the way to the white/cream color.

Pointing Labs are legit. They are not part of the breed standard, etc. but special in that the instinct and ability is there through breeding. You can go visit the APLA web for a lot more details than I can provide, here.

As for a Golden, those are Golden Retrievers. A totally different breed from the Lab, as I am sure you are aware. I hope this helped.

Back