2022/2023 PHEASANT Hunting Videos

No, I was talking about the pointing ability. But now that you bring it up...Hummmm:unsure:. Hows come when the Irish setters were outcrossed to create some drive that was lost they had to call them red setters. But Wiem/Labs are silver labs. Pointer/GSPS and pointer/GWPS?? When the white on those started to show up no one questioned it?? Coincidence I guess that those colors showed up around the time shoot to retrieve and such became popular. GWPS and GSPS needed more speed and range to compete??

No, I was talking about the pointing ability. But now that you bring it up...Hummmm:unsure:. Hows come when the Irish setters were outcrossed to create some drive that was lost they had to call them red setters. But Wiem/Labs are silver labs. Pointer/GSPS and pointer/GWPS?? When the white on those started to show up no one questioned it?? Coincidence I guess that those colors showed up around the time shoot to retrieve and such became popular. GWPS and GSPS needed more speed and range to compete??
I can't speak to the GSP conversation, but the silver Lab element is a NO GO in my book. The genetics just don't match up for coloration. The pointing in a Lab is purely instinct. To my knowledge, there is no history of any genetic connection with a GSP or any other pointer to create the pointing ability. The Lab breeders that I know and have learned about, that breed pointing Labs, have done so with very specific intent. If you look at the pedigrees of the really well titled/hunted Labs, yellow in particular, you will find a number of well-known names in the lines. Their traits and instincts carried forward to produce some really incredible dogs.

Sorry I was not clearer in my original post...

Yellow, Chocolate, and Black are the official Lab colors. Silver is not! A Fox Red is a version color of Yellow. In research the Fox Red has been indicated as to what the yellow labs looked like at first. A Yellow can be from a dark red/orange all the way to the white/cream color.

Pointing Labs are legit. They are not part of the breed standard, etc. but special in that the instinct and ability is there through breeding. You can go visit the APLA web for a lot more details than I can provide, here.

As for a Golden, those are Golden Retrievers. A totally different breed from the Lab, as I am sure you are aware. I hope this helped.
Yes I'm aware but this helped imenesely, specially the APLA website. Once I got past this f'ng crap that comes up first on google. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/APLA_Health

This one's not the greatest, but it's a pheasant hunting video nonetheless, so I'll post it here as requested.

I thought it was great, and thanks for posting it. I like the videos of just a guy and his dog, as opposed to the "professional" ones that are out there. These pretty much mirror my own outings. The hunts may not be perfect, but in a sense they are. Nice double!

Nice job Ellie! No offence to the flusher guys, but there's not much compares to walking up on a point. After 40 years it still quickens my pulse.
It's interesting what people consider the "highlights" of pheasant hunting. For me, the pinnacle is when my dog recovers a rooster that we really had no business putting in the vest, due to a crappy shot usually. But I love when my pheasant finder is homing in on a pheasant & suddenly about breaks his neck when he realizes "it's right there!!!", maybe pauses for about 1/2 second, & dives in for the flush.

Last edited:
The tense anticipation while watching the dog work and being "tuned in" to the environment....where's he gonna go?. Its like the shot clock winding down. I do get something extra from hearing that cackle when I'm lucky enough to get a wild bird to sound off. Even first light sitting in the car...that cackle gets me.

The tense anticipation while watching the dog work and being "tuned in" to the environment....where's he gonna go?. Its like the shot clock winding down. I do get something extra from hearing that cackle when I'm lucky enough to get a wild bird to sound off. Even first light sitting in the car...that cackle gets me.
Yeah, I'd almost wish they didn't cackle. It can send me over the edge and cause me to miss a gime shot!!

Back