2018 south dakota trip - first time

BIRDDAWG

Hi everyone,

I am planning a trip to South Dakota next fall with my dad and brother. My dad has been out there before back in the day and I am sure some things have changed.

Looking for a nice place to stay, with a guide and dogs. I am overwhelmed with all the options to choose from, i figured it would be best to get some feedback from anyone that is willing to help.

Any recommendations on best time to go and favorite places to stay would be greatly appreciated. Looking to find a nice place we can come back to year after year.

Thanks

Pine Shadows Day Break north of Aberdeen. Go to Pine Shadows Kennels web site for information. You can tell Mark Haglen that Joel Conrad sent you.

Antler Ridge —Hamill —near Winner

Great people—most Hunters return year after year—
Great deer hunting for both white tail and mule deer as well

Never stayed there myself but I heard Paul Nelson Farm is a real nice place, Gettysburg SD.

For three day's, three people, only...$7095 ea....what a bargain! You can shoot 5/day! Assume tips are additional...

Pat: sign us up!

Check it out for yourself - Paul Nelson Farms @ Gettysburg,SD...$7095.00. Guess I forgot the .00 part! With the tips the number is probably a bit higher.

Naw, I know they're out there.... I was just giving a little hee haw at your find.

I prefer to light my fires with matches, not 100 dollar bills... but to each their own!

Oh I forgot, in the dining area, you can have a harp playing in the background, while savoring their cuisine and telling stories about the pen-raised birds you shot. Maybe they're wild...dunno.

No doubt they have some wild birds there. But they are a preserve & therefore have to release at least as many birds as get shot. So....probably mostly pen-raised. Even the close-up picture of the rooster they have on the website gallery, you can tell it had a blinder on. For sure, a fun place to spend a ton of money & have a great time being pampered. But pheasant hunting at it's finest? Not by my definition. But as was stated earlier, to each their own.

Wait a minute. If you are a single hunter it is 8095.00. Oh and want more than 5 birds and they are only 49 bucks apiece. Tell you what come over to my house and for 6 grand flat I will let you shoot 100 pheasants off my front porch. I will microwave you a couple Hot Pockets with some cheap wine. If you want entertainment I will run you up to Leavenworth in the '97 GMC and drop you off at the Asian massage parlor. ( we suspect they might give happy endings there).

That could be the name of your lodge, Happy Ending Farm. That Paul Nelson Farm must have a serious cash flow.

After reviewing the Paul Nelson Farm website there appears to be a full body massage chair as an option.

Wait a minute. If you are a single hunter it is 8095.00. Oh and want more than 5 birds and they are only 49 bucks apiece. Tell you what come over to my house and for 6 grand flat I will let you shoot 100 pheasants off my front porch. I will microwave you a couple Hot Pockets with some cheap wine. If you want entertainment I will run you up to Leavenworth in the '97 GMC and drop you off at the Asian massage parlor. ( we suspect they might give happy endings there).
. Lol, that's hilarious.How about some mad dog 20-20 in my room, chilled of course.

Back