Mr Hyde

So being that the new year is only hours away What are you guys doing for New Years Eve ?? any resolutions ??

I planned on trying to make it out to SD at least Twice in 2009

I laying low for news years so I can get up early to be at my pheasant honey hole by ten! Took my wife out on a date last night so I am good to go for hunting the next couple of days.

Going to loose a few pounds in 09.

Watching the Gophers in the Fiesta Bowl at 5pm and the my wife taped the Vikes win over NY so might watch that later.

I plan to stay in better shape to be able to enjoy life and do more and I would like to bring more hunters to SD to expereince the awesome wild bird hunting in 2009.

Happy New Year everyone.

:cheers:

Plan on facing the fact that my Brittany hunting partner is needing to be replaced.
Plan on cutting down the weight
Plan on makeing itout to Kansas 3-5 times this year
Plan on makeing more freinds for 2009
Plan on looking for a lighter shotgun to carry when I chase pheasants
Plan on enjoying life and adding more hunts for the new year!

This is basically just copied from a post on my blog, but here ya go:

Last year all my days in the field were basically last-minute adventures. Unfortunately, many of these days weren't very productive because I didn't set aside enough time to go to places where the birds are thick. I would either drive 1 hour North for grouse or 1 hour South for pheasants, just to get on the fringe of the habitat, where birds are often scarce.

I'm already starting to make plans for next year to ensure that I get good hunting. A 4-day weekend in northern MN for the grouse opener, a 3-day weekend in southern MN for the pheasant opener. 5 days in South Dakota at the beginning of November. 4 days in northern MN for nore grouse at the end of November. Back to southern MN at the end of November. Back to South Dakota in the middle of December. Southern MN will be hit one last time over the holidays.

That's the plan, anyway. I'll be happy if I even get to half of them. With two small children and wife who works every other weekend, free time is at a premium. Luckily, my extended family lives in southern MN so it's easy to combine family visits with bird hunting. Only a few more years till I can start bringing my son on hunting trips. That will open up a lot of options.

I also need to work on my shooting. I let far too many birds get away this year.

I'm working on a plan as of 1- 09. Taking the Fall off starting mid Sept. Just home long enough to rest up, then off on another adventure.

I got myself another dog for 2009. Picked her up yesterday. Just took this picture of her giving the stuffed pheasant a bad time.

Crap, I can't get the picture to upload.

Last edited:
Uncle Buck,

No I didn't get the SMP from Rasmussen. I backed out of that deal. When it came right down to it I just couldn't go away from the Brittany. I looked at SMP's, Gordon's, French Britt's, Bourbonnais, French Spaniel, Wirehaired Pointing Griffons and of course your PP's. All great dogs, but I've had such great luck with the Brittany's I had to get another one. I got a female from a breeder near Denver. This guy trains dogs and runs his Britt's in field trials. This little gal's pedigree is loaded with FC's and NFC's. There should be a ton of natural ability there. I was fortunate that my friend that is a veternarian in Pueblo and whom I have gotten my last two Brittany's from was able to go up to Denver and visit with the breeder and look at the parents and pups. He gave me a big thumbs up so I committed to a pup. I'll know more after next fall.

Dakotazeb

I plan to spend a month locating and hunting new area's in North Dakota. I've done well the last three years, but really like finding new "honey holes". Plan to start in the Northwest corner of N.D. and go from there. I am also starting to research breeders for a new GSP to go along with my pointing lab (Tiger Mnt. kennels). Maybe a new SxS, 20 ga. (Destino).

Back