I plan to spend a month locating and hunting new area's in North Dakota. I've done well the last three years, but really like finding new "honey holes". Plan to start in the Northwest corner of N.D. and go from there. I am also starting to research breeders for a new GSP to go along with my pointing lab (Tiger Mnt. kennels). Maybe a new SxS, 20 ga. (Destino).

Have you located a Destino? I picked one up in October when they had a huge sale on them. $1,799 and I got a gorgeous piece of wood. Scheels had two in Sioux Falls, the other sold but not nearly as much figure in wood.I'll post some photos sometime.
________
Herb Scales

Last edited:
Uncle Buck, I have found a few of them on Guns America but the cheapest I have been able to find is $2,100! I would like to find one at the price you paid, it would be like winning the lottery. Although I do have a Parker Reproduction 2 barrel set (20 ga.), english stock that I bought as a retirement present to myself 3 years ago. But it's almost too pretty to take to the fields.

$2,100 may not be a bad deal given they listed at $2,800 and there are only 250. But for the wood I may not have been so excited. I like the choke tubes and fact I can put steel thru the barrel if I must, which I will not do with my spanish guns. I really cannot justify owning the gun where I am at re retirement looming etc. but then again I will not live for ever.
Cograts on thre Parker.
________
BUY MAGIC FLIGHT LAUNCH BOX

Last edited:
$2,100 may not be a bad deal given they listed at $2,800 and there are only 250. But for the wood I may not have been so excited. I like the choke tubes and fact I can put steel thru the barrel if I must, which I will not do with my spanish guns. I really cannot justify owning the gun where I am at re retirement looming etc. but then again I will not live for ever.
Congrats on thre Parker.
________
LADDER DAY SAINTS - MORMONISM FORUMS

Last edited:
I plan to spend a month locating and hunting new area's in North Dakota. I've done well the last three years, but really like finding new "honey holes". Plan to start in the Northwest corner of N.D. and go from there.

The pheasant population across much of ND's pheasant range will be absolutely hammered. NW ND escaped some early blows, but has quickly caught up ... the sloughs are filled with snow and now with the severe cold (-25 F actual air temps) the birds have nowhere to roost and create a "thermal snow or cattail blanket".

Of course a few birds that associate with working ranch yards and the best habitat along the lake with survive and provide "stock" for the population to rebuild in NW ND.

2007 ND harvest: 907K birds
2006 ND harvest: 750K birds

1999 ND harvest: 283K birds
1998 ND harvest: 220K birds (following winter of '97-'98)

Loss of CRP will reduce pheasant's ability to comeback quicker this time. Spring weather will determine reproductiove success (unknown until August 2009), but .... it is not looking to good ...

Loss of CRP will reduce pheasant's ability to comeback quicker this time. Spring weather will determine reproductiove success (unknown until August 2009), but .... it is not looking to good ...

To that end I plan to continue to implement new CRP annually on my farm in south Central South Dakota. I also plan to sell and toute CRP programs to my pheasant camp owner partners that control around 15,000 acres across various parts of South Dakota.

Diverse habitats are what create great hunting expereinces and that is what lights my fire.

I also hope to pull off a burn of much of my exsiting habitat this spring as future implementations of woody cover would prohibit the ability to burn in future.

Where is the "killer" snowline in SD?

I would imagine Aberdeen and Ipswitch areas and north to the ND border are being hit rather hard too and these areas carry many NR hunters in SoDak.

South of Hwy 12 looks like SD is doing OK weatherwise... according to internet snow maps.

By the way, ND moved the limit down to 2 birds in the years after '97 winter.

I'm in Aberdeen and we have been hit hard. It's going to be a long tough winter for the pheasants. We've had over 30 inches of snow this season along with a lot of wind. There is very little cover left and food sources have to be getting slim. In addition, for the past month we have had much lower than normal temps. It's been in the teens below zero lately and suppose to be -30 tomorrow morning. Highs today and tomorrow of -5. Good news is that my this weekend we are to see highs around 30 above.

Back