16g worth it?

I have used a 16 since 1972. I have never felt the need to change. I shoot a Model 12. I bought a NIB 870 wingmaster for my daughter last year. They are both great guns. The 870 is a little heavier but a beautiful gun. The longest shot I ever made was on a hun. I stepped it off at 60 yds. Probably more luck than anything. One 5 shot in the neck.

I got a Stoger 16 o/u a couple of years ago and I love it. True it doesn't have all the nice things like selective trigger or ejectors, it just kills pheasants very effectively. I've even used it for waterfowl once or twice, yes kills geese too.

I have no trouble finding ammo for it, Wal-mart, Cabelas, Sheels,and even both hardware stores in Platte SD.

SDJIM:

I sometimes think some of us forget what it is all really about. The fact that you are happy with your gun is all that really matters!:10sign:
The 16b rules!

I have used a 16 since 1972. I have never felt the need to change. I shoot a Model 12. I bought a NIB 870 wingmaster for my daughter last year. They are both great guns. The 870 is a little heavier but a beautiful gun. The longest shot I ever made was on a hun. I stepped it off at 60 yds. Probably more luck than anything. One 5 shot in the neck.

I shot my first bird with a Model 12 16 full back in '92 (30 now) and hunted with it almost exclusively for at least 10 years. It's a cock bird killer! Shot a lot of blue grouse, dove, 1 duck, and a turkey to boot. Compared to the M12 12 and 20, there's just something better about it. It's just about the perfect pump gun.

Recently I've really had the itch to get a sweet sixteen, got the Heavy 12 and a Mag 20 (belgian), but no 16...
There's a decent article about them in the spring Upland Alamanac

I like South Dakota's attitude towards pheasants, pheasant hunting and pheasant hunters. Pheasant hunting is practically the state industry over there. I am not surprised about 16 ga shells being readily available in SD.

I looked for a sweet sixteen Browning A5 for near 20 years. I wanted a early 60s gun with round knob, a vent rib and mod choke. They are not easy to come by and when you find one. They most always bring big money, more then I was able or willing to pay. Well, I found one on a gun action site. It was a low starting bid with no buy it now. I prepared myself for a bidding war, one I was most certain to loose, as I have many times before. I bid the Min bid and the gun sat for 4-5 days with only me bidding. Then someone jumped the bid. I moved my high bid up a $100. The gentleman tried 3-4 times to find where I was at and quit. To my astonishment, I sat watching the auction waiting for a last second bidder to jump in and steal it away in the last seconds. unbelievably, no one showed. I picked it up for less then 7 bills. I just watched another late Belgium square knob vent rib, Mod choke bring 47 bids and $1775.00. I was lucky as all get out is all I can say. I now have three sixteen's. Two A5's and one model 12 Winchester pump

Here some pics of the new sweet

Picture013A.jpg

Picture012A.jpg

Picture011A.jpg

Great Gauge

I often use a 16 ga. Model 12 in South Dakota. There were a number of pheaseants that would have preferred that I had left it at home!

Lock and Load! :D

16 gauge works for me

The 16 gauge is a throw back to when there were more choices in gauges. There are not very many new 16 ga. guns available. My personal favorites of the oldies are a Marlin Model 90 O/U, a Remington 11-48 semi-auto, and an A-5 Sweet Sixteen. All of these are lightweight and just as potent as any other gun you might carry. Actually there are no good or bad choices. It is all personal choices and what feels good in your hands. 16 gauge works for me.

Back