16g worth it?

I bought a Citori 16 ga. a couple years ago and added a 16 ga. SxS last year. These guns are about all I shoot for pheasants any more. My 12 ga. Benelli sits in the gun case. I use 1 1/8 oz. loads of #5 or #6 and have no problem killing birds out to 40 yds. and beyond. My Citori weighs about the same as a 20 ga. and is a dream to carry. I have no problem finding plenty of 16 ga. ammo around here. For non-tox loads I've had good luck with the Federal Premium shells in #4 and I also have some Kent Tungsten-Matrix in #5.

Better pattern than a 20ga. lighter weight generally than a 12, with a throw weight pretty close to a 12. Very popular in Europe, much more prevelent than 12's or 20's. Interesting side note,the 16ga. Model 12 Winchester is actually lighter than the 20 ga. due to being built on a twenty frame, with slightly more metal removed to accomodate the 16. The forgotten gauge now being re-discovered.

im a little iffy on buying a used sxs or o/u. i dont know why. i just am.

aside from stoeger and cz i cant find 16g in the $1500 and under price range (new)

im a little iffy on buying a used sxs or o/u. i dont know why. i just am.

aside from stoeger and cz i cant find 16g in the $1500 and under price range (new)

I bought a NIB BSA Classic 16 ga. SxS last year and have thought about selling it. It has fixed chokes IC/Mod, 26" barrels, single selective trigger and ejectors. Probably has had about 4-5 boxes of shell through it. I really like the gun and it performed flawlessly but I have a problem with it slamming my middle against the trigger guard. This is a common problem that I have so it has nothing to do with the gun. BSA imported these gun from Zabala in Spain. It's the same gun TriStar imported under the Brittany name. If you have any interest shoot me a PM. Here's a pic of the gun.

1556683_bsaclsc_03l.jpg
[/IMG]

There is made a rubber bumper that fits on the back of a trigger guard to protect the finger of those few who find it a problem.

Tried it, didn't work! :mad:

They are Great

I use a 16 ga. Winchester Model 12 at least a part of each year. Very nice.
As the old timers said, "Carries like a 20, hits like a 12".

Lock and Load! :D

I carried my 16 Ugartecha sxs about 60% of the season. The other 40 was a 20ga. sxs. I am liking the 16 more all the time.

I bought a Merkel 1620 a couple years ago and it was my main go to gun until I broke the stock. It's at the stockmakers now and I'm that I'm sure it will be a favorite once I get it back again. I also have an AYA 4/53 16b that I'm fond of.:cheers:

Now that is a very cool license plate!!! :10sign: I'd almost move to Kentucky to get that plate!!

Thanks Medic,
It would look even better if my Suburban and I were parked around my old stomping grounds in the Pawnee City area.

Spent ten years in bird heaven out there until the quail numbers and land access dried up.

Things have definitely changed for the worse in the last 10-15 years. I grew up and hunted west of Pawnee City about 100 miles in the Fairbury/Hebron area. One year back in the early 80's four of us shot almost 600 hundred quail. We hunted hard everyday that we had off together and had good dogs but we never shot more than 2-3 birds out of a single covey and never hunted the same covey twice! It was nothing to see 10-15 coveys a day and they were big 15-20 bird coveys. Things were really different then!
I don't hunt that area anymore but I would almost bet you couldn't find 15 coveys in Jefferson and Thayer County combined! :( It's a damned shame to!!!
We also went to South Central Iowa along the Missouri border to hunt pheasants. In those days it was nothing to shoot your limit in a few hours of hunting everyday! I went back this last fall to hunt with friends that are like family and we hunted all day on Opening day and 1/2 day on Sunday. We saw two roosters and shot one quail!:( Sad.

Ditto.
A good morning was 5-10 coveys from sun-up to lunch and then a limit of cocks after lunch before 4pm cocktails at the Pawnee VFW.

I made it over to your neighborhood a couple of times.

I migrated down to North Central Kansas after abandoning Pawnee.
God Bless their walk in program.

We started around 0900 and would hunt to 1600 and give the quail a chance to covey up before night. Those were trully the good old days! :10sign:
I got away from hunting for a few years when I got divorced, couldn't keep a dog and had to work 80 hours a week to survive!
+1 on the Kansas WIHA program. I hunted in Eastern Nebraska a few times this year but spent most of my free days in Central Kansas on WIHA ground. It kind of reminds me of the good ole days in Iowa, start at 0900 and shoot your limit by 1200. Some days weren't that good but a lot of them were.

I hope they are able to maintain that program. I read a lot of posts bemoaning the demise of the program because so many hunters go there.
I didn't see that many when I was hunting and if you work hard, (get off the road and walk) you can still find lot of wild roosters. I didn't find many quail and didn't shoot the ones that I found trying to preserve their numbers.

Is a 16 better than a 12 or 20, maybe not. However, if your budget can stand it, they are great. I have had a Citori Lightning 16 for several years, and like it a lot. Regarding ammo, it's out there, you just have to look a little harder sometimes to find it.

Give the 16 a try

I too share a deep respect and affection for the 16. I use two Parkers and a Sweet 16 A-5. They are all deadly. The A-5 is a little clubby compared to the SxS's but kills a lot of roosters. About 10-12 years ago I had steel capable choke tubes put in the Sweet 16 by Briley as in Iowa we are required to use no-tox in the public lands. That is not a problem as the birds are in the vast tracts of grass and reeds on the public areas after the harvest. I have killed the occassional Canada as well with it but it is not a go to waterfowl gun.

The old Parkers get fed a diet of Nice shot, bismuth, or Kent Impact. Pricey stuff but still cheaper than the gas to get there (anywhere) even if I only drive a couple of miles from home. The Parkers are outstanding grouse guns as well in the North Woods of Wisconsin.

Ammo is and will remain the Achillies' heel of the 16 as it is harder to find in quality products. Planning ahead makes the problem go away. Don't expect to find them in a C-store in South Dakota or in Wally-world. Your better expect to take it with you or take a 12.

Back