Dog food survey

My Dog's Food Rated One Star

I have been feeding my dogs Purina One dry for 12 years. It's 26% crude protein and 16% crude fat, good percentages. It gets the lowest rating on the website. I remember when I took my Brittany, Sport, to the vet the first time. He was one. The vet walks in the examination room, gives him the once over, and says, "Wow. I don't know what you're feeding him, but he is ALL MUSCLE." And he was. When I said Purina One dry, the vet said nothing. My second vet asked the other day what I feed Gus, and said nothing when I told him. Both vets sold Science Diet. My dogs stools are perfect, they have tremendous field endurance and overall robust health. Best of all, you can buy Purina One dry at any Walmart or local grocery store so you never have to stress your dog by feeding a different brand when you're caught short on the road or a hunting trip. I do not intend to change.

the poorest food causes a lot of excess stools.....consistency isn't as important as the amount that gets bypassed, which is an indication of poor quality.

My dogs loved the ProPlan shredded blend, but it gave them the farts like you wouldn't believe!:laugh: We had to switch before they blew the roof off our house or melted the paint off the walls. They seem to do fine on the PP without the shreds in it though, but it is getting hard to find locally. I have to buy it whenever I see it. They always have plenty of bags of the fart-inducing shreds on hand though...:eek:

Best dog food?

Hey all, I'm a newbie on this forum from SD. I have two new labs and was just wondering what everybody runs thier dogs on. I have been giving mine nutrisource and have no complaints but thought it'd be fun to see everyones input. I'm sure there will be as many answers as dog owners so let's hear it!

hey there I merged your post here to give you some info. This one always gets people arguing believe it or not. So Here you go. If you search archives there is a couple more too on the subject. Good luck. I am switching from Native to Ukanuba performance due to the inconsistency of it. My self and other breeders I train with are having the same trouble. It changes bag to bag. They just lost 28 dogs and a fair amount of new owner referrals from all of us each year.

Last edited:
You'll have just as good a luck with Diamond or ProPac, with stool quality, and save about 20.00 a bag. I think there is way to much emphasis on stool firmness. Do you have a firm stool all the time? If you want concrete stools feed Science Diet Maintenence, don't read the bag though!!!

well said- I switched to Diamond High Energy 5 some years ago- I buy 500lbs at a time for $203.00- I feed all 4 of mine 2 cups in the evening- three of them have wheels- as long as there is water

I've been using Fromm Family dry grain-free surf and turf. Recommended by the breader and it's made just north of me outside of Milwaukee :thumbsup: And it's five stars on the website from page 1.

Before using this brand with the older pup, even before I checked the contents, I checked the country of manufacture; no China made foods will be found under my roof.

I ran my dogs on Taste of the Wild for a year or so but my younger dog seemed to be struggling. About a month ago I switched to eukanuba Premium Performace and all of the dogs seem to be much better on it.

Purina Pro Plan for my pack of dogs for over 5 years. I add some fresh bone meal and meat shavings from the bandsaw at the butcher's shop when huntin real hard.

I am sure there are a lot of good foods out there and cost is important but I look at it this way.

I don't run my truck on corn and I ain't running my dog on corn either.:D

My dogs just don't do well on foods with grain in them but I do find I have to add cooked rice to keep their weight up during hunting season.

What this person said...

I've fed just about everything to mine. Innova Evo, to Pro Plan, to Iams to Natural Balance. I like the grain free, (The dogs did TERRIBLE on Pro Plan Shredded Blend, it was donated to us from Purina to feed rescue dogs... Vomiting, Watery stools).
I've settled on Diamond Naturals. Good ingredients, not terrible expensive, the dogs are doing well on it. During the season, I'll switch to Extreme Athlete. I just wish that Diamond did a "buy ten bags, get one free deal or something like that.)

goes to show you that all dogs are different. One persons dogs thrive on one type of food while anothers dog does poorly on it.

If it works for you..stick with it.

Early this summer I made the switch from a regional dog food that branded itself as "natural" to Purina Pro Plan Performance formula. The immediate result was an incredible reduction in poop. If the dogs and I make it through the heat wave I'll find out if their conditioning and performance in the field is also improved. My problem or complaint with the dog food industry is that I just don't know if the information I have access to is trustworthy. If I could see objective, honest information showing that a particular brand is superior I would do my best to feed that brand to my dogs.

If I could see objective, honest information showing that a particular brand is superior I would do my best to feed that brand to my dogs.

Unfortunately most of what you read these dog food websites is mostly just hearsay or someone's opinion. There is no one brand that can be called the best. What one dog may thrive on another won't.. simple as that. I think by educating one's self on what a quality feed should include, would go a long way in determining a starting point on what to choose. From there it's based purely on results. Stools, coat, energy level and general overall health.

Last edited:
feed the same amount of PPP as your normal food for 5 months- then give an opinion

Sorry but I don't understand what point you are trying to make. What would it prove to blindly feed any amount of food? If I see my dogs gaining weight and don't make some changes to their diet and exercise that just makes me look stupid.

I am changing foods to improve my dogs health. I don't care what brand of food it is I am not going to make my dogs fat. I am not going to throw common sense out the door based on the brand name on a bag of dog food. Quality nutrition, portion control and exercise are required to keep dogs at a healthy weight and condition.

Due to the oppressive summer heat here in Texas I scale back the amount I feed in the summer and then as the weather cools (soon I hope) I increase the portions for each dog. Currently I am feeding 1 cup to my oldest dog (a spayed female weighing around 45lbs) and 1 1/2 cups to my youngest dog (35 lbs). I would not be surprised for those amounts to double during hunting season.

Back