Dog food survey

knowing what % of total protein is meat based vs. plant based is my real concern. the dog food makers won't post those numbers on the bag or on their websites.

Well, there is at least ONE dog food maker that posts that info on the bag and website. Might be others; haven't personally seen any yet though.

This one is 81% Meat Sources, 3% Plants/Veggie Sources and 16% Grain sources.

View attachment 9332

Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Carrot Powder, Dried Seaweed Meal in this feed grade dog food......don't need these ingredients, but the 81% meat based protein level is good.

Alfalfa Meal is an all natural fertilizer made from fermented alfalfa plants. It's great at replenishing worn out soils when used as a soil amendment. It can also be used as an accelerant in compost piles. Organic plant fertilizer that enriches and helps rebuild soil.

alfalfa meal and seaweed meal sound like fillers to me?
hard to find a good dry kibble.

Clearly, this is a meat based dog food. 81% is amazingly high. Note also that the various meats are in "meal" form. So a food that lists "chicken" as the first ingredient has a very high water content in the weight of chicken used (70% !); it will have much less actual chicken than an equal amount or even much smaller amount of chicken meal. My dogs don't do that well on just water.

The alfalfa meal is down the list, it's ingredient #8, behind #1 beef meal, #5 blood meal, #6 chicken meal and #7 pork meal. There's a lot of meat meal before you get to the alfalfa; that's how they get to 81% protein. As for alfalfa, if ALL the plant protein in this food came from alfalfa, it would only amount to 3% of the total protein. Any individual ingredient before the alfalfa weighs more than the weight of the alfalfa. I have no idea of the weight of the alfalfa but it can't be all that much "filler".

In addition, alfalfa is a good source for calcium, potassium, magnesium, beta-carotene, vitamin A, vitamin B12, vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin E, and even vitamin K.

Seaweed meal; always differing opinions. Again, seaweed meal is #17 on the list of ingredients. It's unlikely that it contributes very much of the bulk of this dog food. Again, can't be much of a "filler". There isn't much there.

Kelp contains over 60 minerals, elements and plant hormones. Richard Pitcairn, DVM, Ph.D., author of Dr. Pitcairn’s Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats, suggests kelp can help dogs with with arthritis, heart disease, skin and respiratory problems, cancer and more. Further, a study by veterinarian Alfred J. Plechner study that showed dogs fed kelp experienced fewer food allergies, glandular imbalances and scratching issues. https://pets.thenest.com/seaweed-mineral-food-dogs-10668.html

So, I'm not too worried about "filler". First, alfalfa does have benefits. Second, Meat Meal in general makes up most of this dog food. Third, Seaweed also has benefits and it can't be much "filler" in this case.

Back