Heading to South Dakota

We’ll it looks like dad and I are heading to so dak today 11/18. I didn’t think it was going to happen. My son broke his arm earlier in the week and my mom has been having some hip problems but last night dad said we’re going. Just went through Casper and on way to Gillette wy now. Hope to make it to chamberlain tonight and start hunting tomorrow at 10:00!

We’ll it looks like dad and I are heading to so dak today 11/18. I didn’t think it was going to happen. My son broke his arm earlier in the week and my mom has been having some hip problems but last night dad said we’re going. Just went through Casper and on way to Gillette wy now. Hope to make it to chamberlain tonight and start hunting tomorrow at 10:00!
I've heard you can use a boat to access land around chamberlain.

There was an episode on rooster rush a couple years ago that talked about that. Ive always wanted to try that but I guess I’m not willing to drag my boat to SD all the way from ID. Planning to camp out in chamberlain a couple nights and hunt north and east of here. We’ll see how it goes. Somebody in steakhouse post gave some advice on places to eat here so looking forward to trying Charlie’s or smokin mule.

There was an episode on rooster rush a couple years ago that talked about that. Ive always wanted to try that but I guess I’m not willing to drag my boat to SD all the way from ID. Planning to camp out in chamberlain a couple nights and hunt north and east of here. We’ll see how it goes. Somebody in steakhouse post gave some advice on places to eat here so looking forward to trying Charlie’s or smokin mule.
I saw that episode, and I know a guy, who knows a guy, who uses a boat in that area. I can't bring my boat to south Dakota, but I have used it on Ft.Peck,and had success.

Saw that episode too. Based on how they explained it in the show I went and tracked it on maps and hunting atlases. They hit public land that was just as accessible from a road. They also hit a field run by a hunting lodge it looks like. There's not that many flat spots of any size within boat range that you can't figure it out pretty easy.

Just looking at a map I can't see any flat section either private or public that doesn't have a road into it for miles up and down stream. Nothing that is landlocked or impassible so it's just as easy to drive up to them and a lot less chilly than dealing with a boat and getting to the spot in an open top mode of transport. Might be different in the first week or two of season if you are deciding to both hunt and fish if the weather is decent.

Saw that episode too. Based on how they explained it in the show I went and tracked it on maps and hunting atlases. They hit public land that was just as accessible from a road. They also hit a field run by a hunting lodge it looks like. There's not that many flat spots of any size within boat range that you can't figure it out pretty easy.

Just looking at a map I can't see any flat section either private or public that doesn't have a road into it for miles up and down stream. Nothing that is landlocked or impassible so it's just as easy to drive up to them and a lot less chilly than dealing with a boat and getting to the spot in an open top mode of transport. Might be different in the first week or two of season if you are deciding to both hunt and fish if the weather is decent.
I'll have to see if I can find out why those guys use a boat.

We made it here last night.
We got out to hunt this afternoon, first area yielded 4 hens. Met a guy hunting in an adjacent field who had his limit. He was very kind and offered many pointers and area suggestions.
Later we put up two roosters that my son got one. My Weimaraner got the retrieve, it was totally blind as we had drifted far to his left and only heard the shot. I kept hunting until he called me over as his two dogs could not find it. It was in heavy cover about 5 feet tall and thick dead grass like growth. She took about five minutes and dug it out but couldn’t turn around to bring it to me.
The last one was lost in the same cover, it had flown a long way and we just couldn’t get close enough for a the dogs to find it.
Thanks for the help you guys, back at it again tomorrow!

That chamberlain area looks good from what I've seen.Nice town on water. I may try it next time I get to south Dakota.

I have probably seen more pheasants in the last two days than in all the years I have hunted in California.
We have seen a few of the legendary 20 plus bird flushes, singles in places we thought birds wouldn’t be. Mostly hens but a few roosters also.
Dogs are getting tired so we will take today off, back at it Friday.
Thank you to all the people here that have helped with advice. It really makes a difference to those from out of state that want to “do South Dakota”
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I have probably seen more pheasants in the last two days than in all the years I have hunted in California.
We have seen a few of the legendary 20 plus bird flushes, singles in places we thought birds wouldn’t be. Mostly hens but a few roosters also.
Dogs are getting tired so we will take today off, back at it Friday.
Thank you to all the people here that have helped with advice. It really makes a difference to those from out of state that want to “do South Dakota”
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!
Glad you had a great experience. My first trip to SD i called my Dad and said i had seen more birds in 2 days then we had seen in 10 years of hunting iowa. Have a safe trip back and Happy Turkey Day!

It is a special place for sure. And you picked a great year for your first trip for seeing birds!

We decided to go out again after we put the turkey in the oven.
We herd birds in the field but they ran out the back end as we followed them. We shifted west100 yards and worked our way back. My dog went on point by a row of trees and a good sized rooster flushed and put a good shot on it.
Thanksgiving pheasant for me!
We’ll go back out tomorrow.

Idaho,

There is a small bar in Chamberlin. Don't remember the name but they serve fantastic PIZZA. You got get one..Get a vegetarian...

Last edited:
Do you mean with areas that normally have water?
You guys have 4 seasons up here. We have seasons in Southern California also, green and brown. Mostly brown, normal rainfall for my area is 9 inches per year. So technically a desert.
I’m referring to the plants that have turned brown from winter up here.

Back