2017 South Dakota Resident Only Pheasant Opener Weekend

Chris, why do you continue to try and stir the pot on this forum? Whiner's Weekend!! Give me a break. Maybe if you had to be one of us for a few years you would change your tone.

Im certainly not a regular to the SD thread , do read it from time to time. I am curious , why is the opener called ''Whiners Weekend'' By Uguide? Pleas educate me.

I would agree with George's assessment - these kind of messages, on this site, serve no one. Is it intended to tease or to minimize someone's feelings,thoughts, about the bird situation in SD.? A "putdown"?

Rather immature and condescending...

Im certainly not a regular to the SD thread , do read it from time to time. I am curious , why is the opener called ''Whiners Weekend'' By Uguide? Pleas educate me.

Obviously a new term created by Uguide to agitate. Never heard of it before this post.

my buddy always said, don't start no shit, there won't be no shit.........pretty good advice. it's going to be a tough year for many, jack jawing people won't make this site very pleasant.

I'm sure going. I think it's nice of the state to offer up some added benefit for being a resident. I also appreciate them holding a youth season the first weekend of the month as well. Growing up and participating in youth season pheasant hunting was a great experience. Wish they would let the folks who have private land available to them hunt that instead of pounding the public land. As the resident season is designated as public land only. That makes zero sense to me.

I'm sure going. I think it's nice of the state to offer up some added benefit for being a resident. I also appreciate them holding a youth season the first weekend of the month as well. Growing up and participating in youth season pheasant hunting was a great experience. Wish they would let the folks who have private land available to them hunt that instead of pounding the public land. As the resident season is designated as public land only. That makes zero sense to me.

can't afford to piss off the NR's who pay big money for access to private ground.......that NR license fee is big money for the state!

Who's heading out to try and bag some birds for whiners weekend (resident opener)?

I don't post much here but your thread and comment is out of line.

Our son and his family are residents and I am sure he would not appreciate your comment

It seems you have to try to agitate people that do not agree with you or call you out on some of your threads.

I was happy when you pulled your advertising and thought you might tone down your rhetoric. Guess not

Shame on you

Chris, why do you continue to try and stir the pot on this forum? Whiner's Weekend!! Give me a break. Maybe if you had to be one of us for a few years you would change your tone.

Probably because of guys like you honestly. I am a resident, just like you, love my state and plan to go out and hunt. A friend of mine from the local town of Armour came up with the term and I thought it was quite funny.

I would agree with George's assessment - these kind of messages, on this site, serve no one. Is it intended to tease or to minimize someone's feelings,thoughts, about the bird situation in SD.? A "putdown"?

Rather immature and condescending...

It is not uncommon knowledge that the history of the inception of this "special" weekend was from the Game and Fish to try and make the residents happy because they are not that happy with the non residents stealing all their hunting opportunities on the real opener. Even the locals I know have this viewpoint.

To me this viewpoint and need is one of the huge issues in the state and also of this forum and maybe the hunting population in general. Serious separation from what really creates good hunting opportunities.

I agree and would say that the seasons are good, youth, resident and landowner. As a resident landowner they won't let me hunt the land I manage so hard on the resident opener. So the resident + public only does send a little message there (see hunter 94's point).

PS. this is the best time to stir the pot because this site is deadsville in Feb:)

can't afford to piss off the NR's who pay big money for access to private ground.......that NR license fee is big money for the state!
That to me shouldn't matter. If you own land and want to go pheasant hunting on your own land during the resident season, you cannot hunt it. If you know friends or family that let you hunt, you cannot hunt it. It makes absolutely no sense to push everyone onto public land that gets enough pressure throughout the season. If a resident is willing to go and pay money to hunt private land for the resident season, I say let them go for it. I could care less if someone makes more money off only residents paying to hunt. Not sure how it would make the NR's who pay to play unhappy. Nobody is forcing the guys who offer pay to play to offer it exclusively for a resident season. If a resident comes along and is willing to pay that same price, I'm willing to bet nobody cares if the money is from a resident or a non-resident. The owner/operator can still charge whatever they want.

for one weekend, you have to hunt the public ground that thousands of NR have to hunt all season long, as many cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars to access private land........get over it!

for one weekend, you have to hunt the public ground that thousands of NR have to hunt all season long, as many cannot afford to pay hundreds of dollars to access private land........get over it!
I'm pretty well over it. It doesn't affect me either way. If you've read anything I've ever said in the past I've stated I hunt almost exclusively public land. With the once or twice a year I go to a friends place or family when they invite me to. Guess I just don't see the whole point. Just think if you have access to private ground, pay or free, you should be able to use it. Can't really see why anyone would care either way.

I did not mean to stir up the pot that much on this one. Just wondering who was going to enjoy it.

I for one will partake only because I am adopting my sons 2 year old black lab for the fall and will have to find a way to entertain it. 3 days worth, good exercise, will see what's out there.

Youth season is this weekend and it will be interesting to see if any reports come in.

I don't think uguide is trying to stir the pot on this one. Sitting here waiting on the rain to stop so I can go get some work done. Trying to figure out why residents only would be public land only and came across a blog of uguides from this time last year. He referred to it as whinners weakend and probaly has for years.

If you get offended or get your feelings hurt because of that comment by UGUIDE, you are part of what's wrong with this country today!!! My God, really? A guy can't even have a sense of humor and people get all offended. Put your big boy pants on people and enjoy the day, and have a sense of humor! Rooster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That's so offensive!!! How can you say that???

That should read any weekend you hunt w/ a Black Lab is Superior Dog Weekend.) :laugh

I'll be out there on Whiner's Weekend, and I'll also take my daughters this upcoming Baby Weekend. We & the spaniel will appreciate the opportunity & have a great time. (Of course, any weekend you hunt w/ a springer is Superior Dog Weekend.) :laugh:

Back