2017 South Dakota Resident Only Pheasant Opener Weekend

Hey GuyNDog, stick it up your Arss. If I ran this forum you would be Gandi a long time ago. Have a good hunting season in Michigan.

Sorry Charlie, that kind of language is uncalled for. You promote your business on this forum and that is how you answer someone's post that calls you and your business out. Shame on you. Perhaps as a business man you should have a bit more thicker skin? Very poor choice of words in my opinion.
Perhaps you should take some time off from this forum and focus on your business?

I agree with the last few posters. Chris is very informed about his craft but his arrogant comments should stop in a public forum. I called him out previously for his and his peeps comments before. I thought he was degrading instead of standing for the truth. I just got done driving over 200 miles today looking for some real birds, Some coveys near some public land that I could hunt the so called whiner season. My old adage is if you see the birds before season they should be close. Did not see a pheasant. Granted there is lots of water and grass here in Hutchinson and Bon Homme county's. So maybe I'm not seeing what is truly there.

Oh by the way I'm working my young 2 labs on foot on whats left of selected CRP ,almost every day. They have flushed about 3 roosters. I'm going to have to buy 20 chukars to get some quality training. Now that's the truth here! Maybe U guide will make me a training deal. Ill pay 400 dollars for a 3 day hunt on his managed land and report fairly with pictures of my results!! No hot tub for me Ill stay in my camper far from the lodge loll Still amounts to $44.50 a bird!

Oh by the way I'm working my young 2 labs on foot on whats left of selected CRP ,almost every day. They have flushed about 3 roosters. I'm going to have to buy 20 chukars to get some quality training. Now that's the truth here! Maybe U guide will make me a training deal. Ill pay 400 dollars for a 3 day hunt on his managed land and report fairly with pictures of my results!! No hot tub for me Ill stay in my camper far from the lodge loll Still amounts to $44.50 a bird!

Sounds like you need to switch to GSP's.

Chris,
I say you take him up on this but only allow him to hunt 1 acre. He doesn't realize you're paying for the land not the birds.

Eastofriver

I don't blame UGUIDE one bit for calling the guy an Arss! Some of these guys on here are just asking for it because their just trolling for arguments on here. I happen to enjoy UGUIDES expertise on here, and when other guys start talking out of their Arss, and being jerks, then they deserve it.

Keep up the good work UGUIDE

Sorry Charlie, that kind of language is uncalled for. You promote your business on this forum and that is how you answer someone's post that calls you and your business out. Shame on you. Perhaps as a business man you should have a bit more thicker skin? Very poor choice of words in my opinion.
Perhaps you should take some time off from this forum and focus on your business?

Eastofriver

I don't blame UGUIDE one bit for calling the guy an Arss! Some of these guys on here are just asking for it because their just trolling for arguments on here. I happen to enjoy UGUIDES expertise on here, and when other guys start talking out of their Arss, and being jerks, then they deserve it.

Keep up the good work UGUIDE

You need to review the "rules" of this site regarding language et al and UGuide should know better. Perhaps take the high road with his comments vs stooping to another level.

Hey Great Idea Phez Switch to GSP"s and only hunt 1 acre. What a genius combination. Then I could save money not buying GPS Tracker E collars like you probably need to keep track of your far ranging dogs. Hell I could even stop owning Labs all together and stomp out the provided 1 acre myself. Wouldn't even have to hunt with 10 others to cover the field. No ducking pellets tossed my way or seeing a sea of orange blocking my view. Lots of pluses with your idea. One small problem I would have to do a lot of swimming to retrieve all those ducks I get each fall. Hows those GSP"S workin out for you in a cold Duck Blind? OH Last but not least docked tails don't turn me on loll. Nope Ill stick with my Labs and enjoy hunting my way. Hope you have a Great Season yourself.
P.S. After sleeping on it I'm with drawing my offer to Uguide. Not worth it to me. I'm not really in to paying land rent. Ill let the Farm Bill take care of that.

Hey Great Idea Phez Switch to GSP"s and only hunt 1 acre. What a genius combination. Then I could save money not buying GPS Tracker E collars like you probably need to keep track of your far ranging dogs. Hell I could even stop owning Labs all together and stomp out the provided 1 acre myself. Wouldn't even have to hunt with 10 others to cover the field. No ducking pellets tossed my way or seeing a sea of orange blocking my view. Lots of pluses with your idea. One small problem I would have to do a lot of swimming to retrieve all those ducks I get each fall. Hows those GSP"S workin out for you in a cold Duck Blind? OH Last but not least docked tails don't turn me on loll. Nope Ill stick with my Labs and enjoy hunting my way. Hope you have a Great Season yourself.
P.S. After sleeping on it I'm with drawing my offer to Uguide. Not worth it to me. I'm not really in to paying land rent. Ill let the Farm Bill take care of that.

I don't use a gps collar. You can range your dogs out or bring them close. You as a lab owner should know that you can teach control over your dog. No one ranges there pointers way out for pheasant hunting.

My comment about switching to GSPs is because you made a comment about only finding 3 roosters in working 2 labs for days through CRP. You either are working your dogs where you know pheasants wouldn't normally be, you are exaggerating or you have dogs with bad noses. I guess you have duck hunting labs and they're not versatile enough to upland hunt. I live in Texas so my GSPs work great in the duck blind but this is a pheasant forum. For the record, Texas has about 0.1 pheasants per mile and my dogs get on more than 3 pheasants in days of working my dogs.

I said 1 acre because you offered to under pay so I thought uguide should under deliver.

I've read this forum for years mainly because I'm excited for the season and I can't remember a year without some locals who only hunt public land giving doom and gloom reports in South Dakota. By the way, quail are nonexistent in Texas so everyone stay home.

So big and thick turns you on...have fun with that.

Last edited:

You will never get your point across to a pointer guy. While those little GSP's are nosing the edges, the flusher's are busting the cover pushing out the pheasants. But I don't need to brag on here because I could let some on here do the talking for me..... :)

You will never get your point across to a pointer guy. While those little GSP's are nosing the edges, the flusher's are busting the cover pushing out the pheasants. But I don't need to brag on here because I could let some on here do the talking for me..... :)

This response should get a rise out of the pointer guys!

I see the benefits of late season lab work. I come up during the first 2 weeks before quail season starts in Texas. I would guess your labs were dying last year in 70-80 degree weather while my dogs were pointing birds on the edges.

Oh here we go again with the pissing match about pointers vs flushers! Really people can we please move past the ego stroking about who's dog is better and what breed is better. Everyone loves there dog and certain breed because it works well for them and their type of hunting so can we please just move on.

Hey Phez Your comment was a little hasty. Nothing wrong with GSP"s. I hope your GSP pointers are awesome. Post some pictures. I don't know how old you are but I have been training my personal labs for 55 years or so. So after seeing a Yellow lab from a certain kennel work here late season in SD 2 years ago in a foot of snow,thick CRP I was impressed. Not a finished point but enough warning for my wife to get her first 2 roosters. After that I knew it was in the nose and style and training. The lab was 10 years old but my friend used his E collar when necessary. I decided to try something different. I had lost my yellow female lab, so laid down some high dollars to try something new. Richard Wolters my training mentor and his methods don't completely work with my sprinting, nose to the wind pups I'm training. Matter in fact my labs are not thick and thin as you so described. More athletic and far ranging. I know water fowlers love those big headed fish retrieving types. Do some research on Labs history and you will see what I mean by fish! My labs are pointing lab breed out of a kennel in Wyoming. First labs i ever had that had white on the underside of their paws and first labs that I have had to use a E collar to train. No docked tail..I draw the line...I could go on but with bird numbers down so low on public land It would be self defeating to try to train my pups in the areas I plan on hunting. Even a Texan should get that! Regards!

I didn't mean to direct it to a breed discussion. I've duck hunted a lot with labs and they're obviously a great dog. I was tired of reading negative/ non res should stay at home comments and responded to this thread. It wasn't even the worst one. I knew you weren't training in your prime hunting area and I read the post as you are saying there are no birds on public land. I was trying to point out that it was less than ideal land because you wouldn't train in your good spot.

I was referring to big and thick for the tail since you didn't like the GSP docked tail. You were talking about what kind of tail turned you on and I thought to myself that you like it big and thick.

Good luck this season.

I think it's a good discussion to have and the thing that I always come up with is, I would love to have a good GSP or other pointer breed working together with my Black Lab. I don't have friends or people I train with that have pointers to go hunting with, mostly all Labs and a couple Golden retrievers. I know what my Lab can do, which is a lot, but I'd love to have a good pointer hunting with my dog. They can make a great combination!!!

It would be a good combo. Pointers covering the open area and the labs crashing the thick stuff. Do your labs get beat up from the thick stuff? My GSPs look like coons after a couple days of pushing them in cover. All their hair is gone around their eyes and their nose gets beat up. Does the hair on labs help protect them better?

Back