*Your finest shooting

quail hound

Influenced by the thread on the Grey Lord Poupon I've decide to start one on the best shooting feats or shots you've ever made. I will accepted truths, half truths and outright lies.:D

I'll start.

Like I said in the other thread, I have had 3 doves dead in the air shooting my O/U before but I don't think that is my greatest feat ever. Last year while quail hunting I managed to double off of a covey rise (amazing right?) and break open my SxS, reload and drop another double off of the tail end of a 75+ bird covey. 4 birds with 4 shots without moving a foot. I will leave out the bit about missing my next 6 or 7 shots on the singles though.:cheers:

So lets here your stories fellas.

Last edited:
in 1980 I was a youngster hunting with my dad's group of friends in Norton Ks. One of the guy's had his yard bird son-in-law with him that couldn't hit a barn wall with all the doors closed while inside. We had stopped to let him and his father-in-law hunt a small patch as he was the only one without a limit. Three cocks rose from the ditch, two next two each other with one about two feet behind the others. He shouldered his weapon and fired. You can imagine our amazement when not one, not two, but all three birds fell from the sky!. The last bird had to be dispatched on the ground, but the other two were dead on the ground.

Quail hound,
75 bird rise, yeah who is stretching it now:) sounds like some great shooting, better than I would have done as 75 birds coming up would have unearthed me or I would have stood there in amazement.

My dad likes to tell a story from his days on the farm
There used to be a hayfield running down the driveway on the south side of the house. One morning he headed down the driveway and towards the road, his plan was to walk the fence row along the lane back to the east
At the road ,first step into the grass all hell broke less. 4 shells 4 roosters, one foot still In the ditch.

Standing on muskrat mound taking a leak. My gun leaning up on a tree. It was a blue bird day sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky. My Dad was walking up a creek that fed the lake we were hunting for ducks when out of nowhere a drake wood duck went screaming by. That duck had to have been 100 feet high and 40 yards out. I picked up my youth model mossburg 20 and fire one shot. By the time Woody hit the water he was 75 yards out. I never had the time to even pull up my pants !!

That was the day my Dan and his friends quit letting me shoot first. I must have been about 13 years old. When asking my dad why I cant shoot like that anymore he gave me an answer that makes perfect sense. He says when you were a kid you spent endless hours all summer long for years carrying that BB gun around.

Walked miles pheasant hunting with my dad when I was 6-7 years old...carrying a Benjamin .177; Dad said I never missed, and that's the story and I'm sticking to it!

Standing on muskrat mound taking a leak. My gun leaning up on a tree. It was a blue bird day sun was shining and not a cloud in the sky. My Dad was walking up a creek that fed the lake we were hunting for ducks when out of nowhere a drake wood duck went screaming by. That duck had to have been 100 feet high and 40 yards out. I picked up my youth model mossburg 20 and fire one shot. By the time Woody hit the water he was 75 yards out. I never had the time to even pull up my pants !!

That was the day my Dan and his friends quit letting me shoot first. I must have been about 13 years old. When asking my dad why I cant shoot like that anymore he gave me an answer that makes perfect sense. He says when you were a kid you spent endless hours all summer long for years carrying that BB gun around.

I saw a friend get two scotch doubles on quail in a single day. Two shells, four quail.

Last edited:
A saw a friend get two scotch doubles on quail in a single day. Two shells, four quail.

Damn flock shooters.:D

That is impressive though. I've never hit a scotch double let alone two in a day.

I treasure the double on pheasants I got 3 years ago blocking the end of the corn field with my O/U 410. Both birds were DOA with the ground. :D

I have told this one on here a while back. I was 14 for 14 on Doves. Pulling shots out of my rear end up to 60 yds out. I got cocky or forgot how I was shooting and it took me almost a box to get the last one!! Hate that feeling of shotshells filled with cotton. It happens as Forrest Gump would say!!!!:)

Last year Molly went on point and I walked in to flush. Hens flushed, then a rooster, and another, and some hens, and another rooster. I pulled my first, and only, triple that day. Three shots, three roosters, in under 10 seconds.

When I was a youngster, my brother started me out with bunny hunting. One winter, we were hunting along the railroad tracks by the town where he lived. I was up on the embankment while he worked through the brush below me. He flushed one, but didn't have a shot, so I threw down on it and shot just before it ran behind a bush. It came bursting out the other side, so I cycled the bolt on my old Stevens .410 and got it just as it topped a snowbank. I came down off the bank, and picked up the bunny to put it in my vest. While looking at it, I heard my brother say "Well, I'll be damned...". I looked back to see him standing by the bush the bunny ran behind at the first shot. He bent over and picked up a dead bunny. Evidently I did hit it with the first shot, and when it fell behind the bush it spooked another one out the other side. We still chuckle about that one.

Was out at the range with my .44Mag one day. Couldn't hit the planet, luckily I was by myself. Used up all the rounds I had and switched to other guns and started shooting a little better.
People started showing up and I finished up the ammo I had brought and I started packing it up. Cleaning up my mess, I found one last .44Mag round.
I loaded it in the SuperBlackhawk, took aim one handed at the 200 plate (didn't care too much, last round and the gun was obviously off, I was just getting rid of the cartridge) and touched off the round................BONG!

Nods from the other shooters, and a couple of "Damn, nice shot" comments, and I casually left the range, looking like a real pistolero.

I had a hot streak in Dodge City for two years. One-shell-one-rooster. Some days the hunting was good and other days it wasn't. It probably amounted to maybe 12-14 birds total over the two years. But that is some pretty sweet shooting for an average at best gunner such as myself.

The streak was broken a few years ago when we hunted in 50 mph wind. I think I was shooting okay, but the birds were spooky and the shots were almost impossible.

Last year I was one-for-one on roosters in Dodge, so I guess the streak has started again. :laugh: I wish there were still some birds in Dodge City, because I usually shoot really well there... :(:cheers:

mine isn't a scattergun story, but 2 years ago I sent a bullet through a 3" gap in a tree and directly into the heart of a whitetail at 80 yards, in the freezing cold and wind from a wobbly treestand.

more luck than anything but nobody could believe that when they went up in my stand and looked that I made that shot.

i have yet to have the opportunity for any great upland shots. they are usually point, shoot, and drop.

maybe this year.

My best was a triple that consisted of 2 roosters and a sharp tail. The two roosters got up and went opposite directions. Shot one, swung right, shot the other, swung back to the left to track the first bird. As it hit, it kicked up a sharp tail right in my sites. Was pretty pumped.

15 or so years ago, I went in to a slough swarming with mallards. i took a whole brand new box of shells with me in the box. Chased them up as I went in but in seconds they were piling back in right on top of me. We could shoot four mallards. I shot more shells in 10 minutes then I ever had. 25 rounds and no ducks in 10 minutes. Walked away, with them landing all around me laughing like the aflac duck.

Last edited:
Late December pheasant hunt with snow on the ground. I'm posted at the end of a weed patch with my Savage 16 ga. single shot choked IC shooting 1 1/8 oz. loads of #6 shot. A rooster comes sailing toward me just above the ground and off to the left. I'm not even going to shoot as he is a long way out. But I figure, what the heck and touch one off. He dropped dead as a door nail. I stepped it off from where I have been sitting and it was 70+ yards.

Then there was a bull elk I shot in the Black Hills of South Dakota. 500-550 yds. and I hit him right in the right eye socket. Of course I was holding over him actually aiming for the rib cage. Pays to be lucky some times. :)

I've had a couple memorable ones.
The first was about 15 yrs ago hunting with a buddy in Iowa, south of Des Moines down by the state line. Working the creeks beds for quail, the pups locked up on a nice size covey. I let my buddy have the honors and he whiffed on 4 straight shots with his Browning pump 20. I watched the majority of birds fly another couple hundred yards and settle back down on the other side of the creek. We jumped across and proceeded to walk them up. Sure enough the pups pointed them right where I expected. My turn this time. I walked in and flushed about 15 birds. Five shots with my Browning B2000 20 ga brought down 5 quail. My buddy looks at me shaking his head and says "I guess that's how you do it" :D The key I've learned when shooting on a covey is to pick an outside bird or a high one to shoot each time. It's easier to focus when there aren't all those birds in your direct line of site.

The second time was with my best buddy on one of our Thanksgiving week trips in SD 5 yrs ago. We were pushing some public ground toward the road where there were cattails in the roadside ditch. We knew we were pushing birds and figured we'd get them up at the road ditch. Sure enough they all busted up about 25 yards in front of us. About 25 birds with 6 roosters all flushed at once. As the birds flushed it was a bit frantic trying to see the roosters cleanly. I spotted a pair of roosters angling off between my buddy and I and dropped each one between us. Not missing a beat, I swung back on another, dropped it cleanly, then pulled up for my last shot and dropped my 4th rooster at about 45 yds. All ended up dead where they landed. I looked over at my buddy and asked why he hadn't shot. He said "Dude, every time I pulled up on one, you dropped it. It was like you knew which one I was going to shoot before I did." Then he said "How come you let those last two get away?" I just held up my Benelli 12 ga and showed him the open action :thumbsup: "Cuz I didn't have a 5th shot" :D

Back