Your Bird Dog throwing you hints that the season is near?

DonGKIT65

I'M sure we all experience it every year or at some point prior to the opener. right around this time of year when it begins to cool in the morninigs and evenings and a few leaves begin to fall here and there jag my bird dog begins to perk up and reminds my of how cool it really is to have a hunting companion to hunt with. he'll grab a sock and push me to go outside and play fetch or point out all of the sparrows in the front yard bushes (I know he thinks they're mini-quail) and also want to come to work with me and then I have to tell him i'll be back and then sniffs me down really good when I get home to make sure I didn't go hunting without him.Then gives me a look like you better not go hunting without me. these are just a few hints he'll throw at me letting me know the season is near. I'm curious to hear some of the rituals your dog goe's through prior to the opener? cheers!

I took my two out Prairie Chicken hunting last weekend. Before I even got the gun and vest out, they knew hunting season was here.

My dogs start looking at my chickens funny this time of year.:eek:

Im headed to N WI on Thursday and am starting to accumulate gear in the dining room - they sleep on or with the gear every night. I think they might know the jig is up.

Lots of pent up energy and some frustrated barking.

Lots of pent up energy and some frustrated barking.

Yes, this is exaclty what we're experiencing at our house. Constant yipping until I let 'em out. They were very angry (as they are every year) on the dove opener. I walk out before sunrise carrying the shooting-stick instead of my lunchbox and all hell breaks loose. My wife said they bawled for 2 hours on the dove opener. I took 'em to a buddy's house who had some nuisance pigeons he wanted dispatched. The dogs more than willing to help and so were the boys;) That day we found about 20 clay pigeons in the back of my truck and decided to throw and shoot 'em while the dogs played in the pond. The first one the boys missed was noticed by the GWP. He came hauling butt out of the pond and retrieved the unbroken clay to hand:D

On top of that, I'm beginning to lose sleep each night. Ahh, the season is indeed upon us:cheers:

I also have issues this time of year. The dogs know something is up and when they see me in camo heading out to deer hunt they go nutz and I pay for it later for leaving them home for the wife to deal with:D

They are getting ready just like us. Saw Rufus pointing a rabbit in the neighbors backyard yeaterday. Not a bird but it will do for the time being.

We all are getting birdy!

Kick'em Up!

Max is only 2-1/2, but he's got the number. Open the tailgate to go run about, no big deal. Open up the tailgate on Saturday morning and he's having a freakin cow. Banging on the crate door, moaning and howling. Then I pick up his beeper collar and it really gets nuts. We only use that thing for hunting and he sure knows what it means.

The first two weekends we've only put up a few grouse and no woodcock. I'm afraid that the cold, wet May and June killed a lot of chicks. A couple of the birds have been young of the year, so there's hope.

Hank typically goes everywhere with me, but he seems especially watchful of my every move ever since I found him sitting in the recliner reading the upland regs the other evening . . .

I almost exclusively hunt with my father in law and I generally drive to his place and we hop in his truck and go from there. Last weekend we were moving some stuff from his garage and I left the passenger door open on the truck. Mojo jumped in and wouldn't get out till I forced him an hour or so later. He knows.

Hank typically goes everywhere with me, but he seems especially watchful of my every move ever since I found him sitting in the recliner reading the upland regs the other evening . . .

Hahaha! Thats good stuff right there.:cheers:

Yep weird but the dogs start to push their way around the house, spin in circles jump a lot! My wife says they need to run, I think they are just reminding me, hey remember us remember why you feed us, let's go hunt!

Back