WPA's Closed

Went out and did some water retrieves by my house, actualy accross the road. And my buddy shot some ducks. Screw em. "Afterward" I called the game warden and even told him. At first I was going to act a bit tough, LOL. Then quickly realized he told me they were not authorized to patrol them, or check in to you on them. State wardens any way. He will not be writing any tickets for anything. Some other guys came in and set up decoys. They shot a few birds and were out there for hrs.:thumbsup:
He did say however there are a few federal wardens that could be doing something. I guess they are based out of Fergus Falls. I would like to hear what they have to say... No signs up around here. Some kids need to be drug behind the woodshed for doing whats wrong.;)

Last edited:
Its a mess, same as it was when MN shutdown. We are caught in the middle here and I bet MOST wardens and COs get it and will leave you alone.

Not saying there aren't a few who would write a ticket, but no way would it stand in court when challenged and they know that.

Dan

some friends of my son living in south Dakota were ticketed on sat. hunting on WPA's:mad: TOTAL BULL $%%. he didn't take any chances and hunted private ground.

I'm going to call the local GFP office this week and see what they have to say.

Let us know what they officially say. I emailed the Governor of MN and made a call to a guy at PF hopefully we can get a little more of this in the media.

All I know is here I am safe. Warden is duck hunting LOL. Cant speak for everywhere. Best to just call and see what your local says. Pretty easy. And as said they are not suposed to have athority till they go back to work. Just being a complete jerk, and most likely is every day...

I think the tickets were issued in south Dakota. tring to get more info from my boy. they were shocked to hear that the wpa was closed. they were lucky enough to find some private ponds to hunt ducks on. they shot a 5 man limit in 18 minutes

Government at is best, or shall be said worst! House passed resolution that gov't workers would be paid, there you have it lay them off and promise to pay them. The system has failed.

I called the local GFP office here in Watertown, SD today. They said WPA's are closed and that GFP CO's will be patrolling them as well as some feds. That really sucks, especially with the pheasant season right around the corner. Probably time for some calls to both our federal and state legislators.

Opener

I think I'm going to cancel my room for the opener here in MN, I just don't want to have half the lands open and that many hunters fighting over them. I will just hunt the game farm until they get this stuff figured out....

Sucks when you wait all year and they screw us over cause they cant screw us enough with taxes and usage fee's. :mad:

I'm going to call the local GFP office this week and see what they have to say.

Dakotazeb, probably not worth your time. The answer will be "closed". Can't imagine any CO going on public record against the policy. Risk their career for what?

I think I'm going to cancel my room for the opener here in MN, I just don't want to have half the lands open and that many hunters fighting over them. I will just hunt the game farm until they get this stuff figured out....

Sucks when you wait all year and they screw us over cause they cant screw us enough with taxes and usage fee's. :mad:

Check your maps. I know were I am going there is fewer than I thought. I'm still going to go its tradition. Don't let the government ruin opener. I'm not going to.:thumbsup:

Opener

I haven't hunted enough to know. Just got back into it 2 years ago. I just know that when you take away lands, you end up with many hunters in smaller areas and that's why I quit hunting before. I can wait for late season stuff and hunt SD again this year, a bunch. :thumbsup:

might be a stupid ? but are Game Production Areas closed?. i wouldnt think so but does anyone know for sure?

david0311

Dakotazeb, probably not worth your time. The answer will be "closed". Can't imagine any CO going on public record against the policy. Risk their career for what?

Spent 28 years as a officer--trust me I would not be afraid to speak up on this B.S. and damn well would not write a ticket on this -- told to or not---

Reminds me of some years back with the bird flu--avian colera scare when the had people at the boarders making hunters dump cleaned and frozen birds on direction of the Washington Office ----don't know what they intended to do with all those un shot birds flying over---STUPID---

Anyone actually talked to CO to see what they say? I tried contacting one in western MN but has not returned my call. I will let you know if I hear anything.

Back