Worst things that happened while hunting ?

So, let's say you push the button that you have fallen and can't get up. In Airmeds case in a semi remote area, how long would it take to get any help dispatched and to your location? Do they send a helicopter or an Uber driver from the closest civilization post? What is the cost to send out the troops?

So, let's say you push the button that you have fallen and can't get up. In Airmeds case in a semi remote area, how long would it take to get any help dispatched and to your location? Do they send a helicopter or an Uber driver from the closest civilization post? What is the cost to send out the troops?
The request basically gets routed to a police department in your area. So a lot depends on how they handle things. Out west, rescues in the mountains are common so they have full teams dedicated to this stuff.

But it's a big part why I like the texting SOS over just a single button. If you can tell the other end what is wrong, they are better equipped to handle it. But a helicopter is a high likely hood out west at least. Cost is hard to say. I know Colorado you automatically pay 25 cents or something for a fishing/hunting license and that covers your cost if you do need search and rescue. Medical helicopters can be different though.

I took a medical helicopter ride once. My insurance paid for it, but the bill was 1 hour ride 44k!!!

Ha, well yes, I guess it was worth it, but I'd bet there are some who would argue that.
I was going to ask BD how long that line was! Just poking ya.
It won't be too many more years for me and punching out in the field will be a pretty acceptable ending. We are all checking out, it is just when and how that are not certain. I had heart issues almost 10 years ago, in about 10 minutes of reflecting and thinking before going into the surgery, I came to terms of accepting my fate. I am not too concerned with the ending at this point. I hope it is in the field. I will not be carrying a rescue me whistle. That may be selfish, but that is me.

It won't be too many more years for me and punching out in the field will be a pretty acceptable ending. We are all checking out, it is just when and how that are not certain. I had heart issues almost 10 years ago, in about 10 minutes of reflecting and thinking before going into the surgery, I came to terms of accepting my fate. I am not too concerned with the ending at this point. I hope it is in the field. I will not be carrying a rescue me whistle. That may be selfish, but that is me.
That's a pretty stoic attitude. I bet many of us share it.

Remy, in a few days I will become an octogenarian. But I just got a new pup and booked a VRBO for 2 weeks next season. I have some issues that come with age, but live life like tomorrow is guaranteed. I respect and share your philosophy.

I've fallen through ice 6 times.Once I almost drowned. I've had my dogs cut open, had to make emergency runs to vets, acl injuries to labs.Ive been shot,chewed out, had my ass grabbed,you name it.Been buried up to the doors way out in the boonies.

I've fallen through ice 6 times.Once I almost drowned. I've had my dogs cut open, had to make emergency runs to vets, acl injuries to labs.Ive been shot,chewed out, had my ass grabbed,you name it.Been buried up to the doors way out in the boonies.
It is just a tribute that you survived all that…..one tough sob….and I truly mean that…I always enjoy your posts because they are honest!!!!

The following story is a fishing story, not a hunting story but it is a doozy!! Additionally, it is absolutely 100% true. A friend and I were down at Lake Powell and our intent was to load a boat with camping gear for 4 days and head up Lake about 30 miles and camp out and fish. We loaded up and headed up lake with all our gear and when we hit the main channel we ran into a thunder storm, 50 mph wind and 4-5 foot waves. We took two waves over the bow which filled our boat with water. We immediately hooked a left in a trough between two waves and headed for a canyon that was conveniently available. We didn't know it at the time but there was another bigger boat about 1 mile in front of us that was watching us. They apparently lost sight of us when we hooked a left in between two waves and he came to the conclusion that we had capsized. Meanwhile we made it into the canyon and beached the boat and let the bilge empty the water. We camped right there for the night and continued our journey the early the next morning. Throughout that day we saw search and rescue planes and came to the conclusion that someone ran into trouble the day before and the plane was looking for them. We were on high alert, always looking for a boat in trouble, but we fished our way up north. We were catching the shit out of striped bass and crappie and having a great time. We decided to camp where we did the night before so we headed back south and started seeing search and rescue boats with grappling hooks and assumed again that someone had really gotten into trouble. Around sundown we ended up in the same canyon that we camped in the previous night catching crappie with another boat, when a search plane flew over and he came over close enough to get me bow number and said that he believe that plane was looking for us. We laughed for a bit and then had a Holy Shit!! moment about them calling our wives. So we headed to the boat ramp which was about 15 miles south. We got there and discovered that they were indeed looking for us. They had multiple state and federal agencies, search and rescue folks from Colorado, Arizona and Utah. We let them know that we were the ones they were looking for and come to find out they had police and a priest heading to our homes to tell our wives that we were missing and presumed dead. My biggest question for all of the searchers was why after all of the times that we saw the searchers, did they not see us!! They gave two reasons which still don't make sense. 1. All water search efforts have a pattern that they follow and it is in a clockwise search pattern and they always look to their left. Our travels were in a counter clockwise direction and we were always on their right. 2. They were looking for bodies and debris only, they never assumed that we were OK.

The end of the story was we called our wives to make sure they hadn't heard anything about our deaths. We then went back up lake for 3 more days of fishing and camping. And.....I completely lost faith in the search and rescue system and hope that I never truly need their help.

Couple of years ago I was jump shooting a ditch for ducks. A cow and 2 calves moose jump up and ran right at me. The calves blew by and she tried to get me as she passed. She then turned around and came back at me. I held by shotgun like a pistol trying to get distance. I kept poking her in the face and she started jumping up and trying to kick me with her front feet when I killed her. Game wardens came called it self defense and she went to the food bank. The calves just ran into the alfalfa and grazed. Barely see them in the picture. I know if she could have gotten me on the ground I was a goner. View attachment 7499
Moose just the opposite of elk when it comes to humans - always willing to "engage."

When you push the SOS button on an InReach it contacts the ERCC through the Iridium satellite network. The ERCC is staffed 24 hours a day.
They will activate the local emergency services for the area you are in. In my case it would have been the local 911 dispatch center which here in Nebraska is affiliated with the local Sheriff’s office. They would have probably contacted the local Fire Department and EMS agency and they would have responded with a Deputy. And, in my case they would have been able to drive to within a few yards to pick me up. I would have also been able to text my wife from the InReach to let her know what was going home but depending on what is wrong you might not be able to do that. In Nebraska, the EMS service may send you a bill but probably not the FD or the Sheriff’s office but I would damn sure send the FD a donation. It may be different in other parts of the country but I bet it’s very similar in SD and Kansas.

There is a subscription fee for this benefit! I leave mine activated year round and I’m invoiced monthly, it costs less than $12 per month or $144 a year but you can activate it for only the months you need it. I did that for a couple of years but when you activate September 1 to February 15 it was only a few dollars more to leave it active year round and I can carry when I mountain bike in the Sandhills in the summer. I spend more than $12 a month on other junk that won’t help save my life so it’s a good investment for me. And I hope I never use it!

A hunting companion accidently shot my dog, blinding it in one eye. The dog kept hunting oblivious to his injury and one-eyed sight and lived years after. Ironically, the shooter fostered my dog for a breed rescue organization. That's how we met and how I got the dog. A totally good guy, I never said a word because it was an accident. Initially the eye, though sightless, was fine and normal in appearance. But one day I came home and it was swollen and black. The dog must have bumped it on a wall corner or something. The eyeball had to be removed. Again, the dog didn't lose a step. Just kept being a great dog at home and afield. Dogs don't know self-pity.

Last edited:
A hunting companion accidently shot my dog, blinding it in one eye. The dog kept hunting oblivious to his injury and one-eyed sight and lived years after. Ironically, the shooter fostered my dog for a breed rescue organization. That's how we met. A totally good guy. I never said a word because it was an accident. Initially the eye, though sightless, was fine and normal in appearance. But one day I came home and it was swollen and black. The dog must have bumped it on a wall corner or something. The eyeball had to be removed. Again, the dog didn't lose a step. Just kept being a great dog at home and afield. Dogs don't know self-pity.
One time my cousin shot a farmers combine accidentally. I never did say anything.

Back