Worst things that happened while hunting ?

Was dumping mud behind some random guys barn with his daughter watching, when my cousin came running across the property on his snowmobile and shot that farmers cow.

Just a prediction of a story we will hear shortly
Let's see: dumping mud beside house- check. Done that several times while my cousin was bs ing the farmer.Yes one time the farmers wife saw me and we were not granted permission. Yes my cousin shot a farmers goose.We were not allowed on that property again.Yes my brother got caught playing grab ass and was disciplined.

On a crisp2 degree day in the judith river,I fell through the ice trying to get to a honey hole.Luckily I was young and athletic and didn't drown. I went completely under water and there was current. I could have easily died that cold December day.My 78 Bronco was about a half mile away. I was hunting alone as usual. Luckily I had my beater 870 slung over my shoulder.That thing didn't skip a beat.I had crossed that thing many times, and always found roosters.I think it was private. It was just this one day,my luck ran out.That was the last time I ever tried to get into that spot.Very scary!!!
Do I see a Jeremiah Johnson reference??? The Judith!

That’s a fast recovery, was it ruptured?
yes, doc said the 2 ends each looked like the end of mops...I was by no means 100% at the end of January but after going thru all the rehab I could walk without pain. Just didn't have any calf muscle left. I really didn't feel 100% back to normal until July, as in running, jumping, etc....

About 8 years ago, opening day of Pheasant season in Ks, I stepped in a badger hole 3/4 mile from the truck. I knew something was wrong immediately, intense pain in the lower right leg/ankle area. Luckily my brother was with me, and he was able to get back to the truck and drive it to me. We made it to the closest, very small rural hospital and was diagnosed with what they thought was a complete rupture of the Achilles tendon. They say I could wait 4 days until the mobile MRI machine came to to verify and have surgery. That was an easy pass, asked the doc to give me some pain pills and drove the 14hrs back home to have the ankle expert that takes care of the Alabama football team do the surgery. Missed the rest of Nov, all of December and January bird hunting but on the last day of January the doc cleared to me go hunting to oklahoma for their last 2 weeks of the season.
I had that injury while Grouse hunting, and never went to the doctor. Took a long time to heal. Didn't know that surgery would help at the time.

Couple of years ago I was jump shooting a ditch for ducks. A cow and 2 calves moose jump up and ran right at me. The calves blew by and she tried to get me as she passed. She then turned around and came back at me. I held by shotgun like a pistol trying to get distance. I kept poking her in the face and she started jumping up and trying to kick me with her front feet when I killed her. Game wardens came called it self defense and she went to the food bank. The calves just ran into the alfalfa and grazed. Barely see them in the picture. I know if she could have gotten me on the ground I was a goner. Screenshot_20240207_211309_Gallery.jpg

Back