Workout / train (humans, not dogs) for upcoming season

jackrabbit

With fall seasons here or quickly approaching, what does everyone do to train themselves for the upcoming season? We spend so much time getting our bird dogs in shape but often fail to think about the shape we need to be in to hunt with them. No point in having the best dog in the world if we cant keep up with them or limit their ability or opportunities to hunt.

I personally am a bit of a health/fitness junky person and enjoy strength training year round. As fall approaches, I will incorporate in a few more exercises that develop my hip flexors, as those always seem to get worn down walking lots of cattails and thick grass. Along with lower body in general, glutes, hams, quads, through various strength exercises. I'm not a big cardio person, but I try to add in a bit more cardio work on a treadmill and add in some incline with it too.

Up my calorie intake to build my fat reserve in case I'm stranded in a blizzard. I don't think I'd like the taste of springer & don't plan to find out. Ace thanked me for overindulging in pork loin & mac-n-cheese tonight. He told me he didn't think a 2nd helping of brussel sprouts would be beneficial.

Last edited:
Check out this thread from last month.

Sorry for starting a new thread! I even did a search of the words "workout" and "train" before creating this one to make sure there was not a similar thread already going. However all I came across was dog workout and train threads, must have missed that one or it didn't have any of the words in it I searched.

I see that one is in the Bird Dog Forum. I may have just glanced right by it thinking it was specific to getting dogs in shape.

Last edited:
Jackrabbit, it's all good buddy, no big deal !

I had a buddy who is a fitness major and his wife is finishing her PhD in fitness put some circuit training together for me taking into account injuries and being over 50. It has seemed to help. Specifically noticed hauling my duck sled full of gear and some of the younger guys stuff also. The circuit training and hiking and trail running with the dogs hopefully will have me ready. I can text or email. Just pictures of what he hand wrote. I had to look some of them up.

Get ready for the season? Here is your answer. High intensity and low impact on the joints: https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-echo-bike (Air Bike). It's one of the best workouts on the planet. Additionally, I use a Concept2 Rower, Concept2 Bike and Concept2 SkiErg. I'm 6'6" with past sport injuries and all 4 of these machines will cater towards injuries, joint issues and will not sacrifice a sub-par workout. My 70+ year old parents are finally listening to me like I know what I'm talking about. Also Crossover Symmetry cables are a must to fix my shoulders for the time I spend on the computer.

Get ready for the season? Here is your answer. High intensity and low impact on the joints: https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-echo-bike (Air Bike). It's one of the best workouts on the planet. Additionally, I use a Concept2 Rower, Concept2 Bike and Concept2 SkiErg. I'm 6'6" with past sport injuries and all 4 of these machines will cater towards injuries, joint issues and will not sacrifice a sub-par workout. My 70+ year old parents are finally listening to me like I know what I'm talking about. Also Crossover Symmetry cables are a must to fix my shoulders for the time I spend on the computer.
I am for the cardio activity enhancing too in order to get in shape before the season, air bike sounds really cool, I try for myself peptide rejuvenation to improve all processes in the body in general, it is course of injections with peptides if you`ve heard about it - quite a useful thing, it is like you load into your body small items of protein and straight via injections which work better and faster for the quick organism regeneration, so I buy all the stuff for the peptides injections, including bacteriostatic water for preparing shots in here
https://paradigmpeptides.com/product/bacteriostatic-water-buy-from-paradigm-peptides/ and then I go to my doctor to do the course of shots

Last edited:
Oh yeah. I've been thinking a lot about how the guys I know train dogs but forget to get in shape. I don't drink alcohol and rarely use pain pills to be as healthy as possible. Also, I run in the mornings and evenings to ensure I don't catch my breath while hunting. I really want to be a great hunter who doesn't run after dogs with shortness of breath like some loser. I've recently started going to the gym to improve my body. My girlfriend will definitely be pleased that I want to have a nice torso and big biceps. But I wanted to see results quickly, so I also started using purerawz.co on my trainer's advice. Everything works great.

Last edited:
I swim. Its not nearly as bad on your joints as running or jogging is.

Not a whole lot I can do to prepare to walk through deep snow though, which often occurs in December here. That just drains my energy extremely quick. High stepping with boots on is just tough.

Had two knee replacements the same morning three years ago at age 69. Highly suggest recumbent exercise bike. Might was used from a hotel exercise room that was getting a make over, only a fraction of original cost with a built in TV. Knees are better after a ride on this bike. Try one first

I've been doing more lifting this year, but gonna start adding cardio in here next week, bump the workouts up to 2 a days. The hardest part to me is eating "healthy"...

I was trying to get in decent enough shape for an upcoming chukkar hunt, but I think that might fall through now. Either way it's definitely worth it.

I am now 65 year old.
My routine is to hike the hills every other day, gradually increasing distance and adding weight to the pack.

On off days I bike primarily to strengthen the hamstrings.
Then reverse lunges to strengthen the quads.
Finally a hip abduction exercise.

Year-round I walk the dog for 20-30 minutes most days of the week and do a few strength exercises. Nothing specific for the season. The dog's a leash puller, has a big back yard to run in, and I keep her on a strict diet, so she's always lean and in hunt-ready shape.

Year-round barbell/strength training really helps. Once the season gets closer, time spent running the dogs is as good of conditioning for pheasant hunting as possible.

I'm retired and 66 years old, so plenty of time to keep in shape.

Long morning walks every other day. (2 hours now, building up to 4 hours)
On "off days" I do reverse lunges for quads, hip exercises,
then mountain bike for hamstring strength.

Both labs get plenty of exercise training.
For example, three 200 yard water blinds would be about 1,200 yards of swimming.

Back