Workout / train (humans, not dogs) for upcoming season

we've been bear baiting for a few weeks already and it will continue thru at least Labor Day. Thats about as good as its going to get.

I exercise year round. Many of the activities I enjoy doing are also a form of exercise. I play ice hockey, mountain bike, swim, and play just about every sport out there with a paddle or racquet. Certain times of the year I do more of it than others. This time of year its way too hot to be doing much of that outside other than swimming.

I've never been one to "pound ground all day long" for a couple of roosters. I'm always surprised when people say they can hunt for 8 hours on end. They must be walking much flatter landsacpes than I do. And they must not encounter any deep snow either.

I exercise year round as well. I run a couple half marathons every summer, and the dog runs with me everyday so we're both ready by the time the roosters come calling.

Much respect to you guys, I'm tired just reading about all the running going on. I'm taking the reserve all my energy for fall and leave it all on the field then approach. Fingers crossed

I lift a few times per week and play football and basketball when I can.. I'm adding 100 or so flights of stairs into the mix every few days until the season starts so that you can't hear me huffing and puffing when I record my hunts for YouTube.

I ride my bike with the dog running with me at times. I SCUBA dive a lot (all year long), and I walk a bit for work when visiting facilities.

At age 71 I hit the gym 5 days a week year round.
2x 25 reps- Back Extension machine with 150 lbs
2x25 reps Rear Delt machine with 80 pounds
2x 25 reps Abdominal crunch machine with 80 lbs
MWF Treadmill set at 3.5mph, first 5 minutes at 15 degrees elevation, drop to 12 degrees for another 23 minutes, then flatten it out for final 2 minutes.
TT Elliptical machine for 20 minutes with it set to keep heart rate in the 140s.
After getting home if it’s under 95 degrees I hike up the hill behind the house, 160 feet elevation with 110 ft in 1/4 mile. Hike across the pasture. Since the grass and ticks have come on I hold it down to 2 miles total. In colder weather where the ticks aren’t a problem it stretches to 3 1/2 miles.
The last few years pheasant hunting has been a piece of cake

Back