When I grieve, I write...

crockett

How could this be? When I look at you now, 90 pounds of muscle and Fundy-proof fur, led at one end by your big block head bearing an infallible nose, wise brown eyes and impossibly soft ears. Bringing up the rear is that thick ever-thumping rudder of a tail. Yet inside that muscular shoulder, just infront of your strongly beating heart-of-a-lion, it's eating you, they tell me. And it's eating you fast.

This was not the outcome that I expected when I brought you to him yesterday. I was so sure. A limp in that same dodgy shoulder - surely just those problematic tendons flared up again? No problem, I thought ,cortisone injections and a month of leash-rest and you'll be good as new. Well, good as any "new" 9 year old lab can be. In my mind’s eye I had you sitting in my canoe a month from now, as we paddled up the meadow to the portage trail where you'd be trotting along ahead of me. Once in a while I'd tilt the canoe up to see you looking back, checking on me to make sure that I was still coming. I can see you now at the top of every steep rise, between the huge mossy rocks, looking down at me with a panting smile as I stumble my way up, panting and smiling a little myself.

So when the vet looked your over and you yelped and flattened your ears at his gentle touch, the furrow in his brow was not lost on me. My stomach did a little flipflop when he said that he wanted to do a quick x-ray before proceeding with the cortisone injections. I don't understand - you can’t SEE tendons on x-rays, can you? Oh well, nomatter, it's only money and nothing is too good for my Fur Kid. I went along to help the techs to get you comfortably and calmly onto the x-ray table. You were compliant as usual, as I nuzzled my face against yours while they positioned you for an image of the offending joint. I looked up and we watched the magic of the digital x-ray slowly appear on the screen. And then we were quiet. Even my untrained eye could see it plain as day - a matrix of honeycomb throughout the top of your humerus. When the vet was called to look, and he said quietly, 'Come with me'. No 'flipflop' this time - more like a punch in the guts.

I follow him and we sit. And the news hits me. Hard. And as he keeps talking, and I keep asking, it keeps hitting, as each tendril of hope snaps and rocks me back in my chair. In the silence that follows, I am left with very little to cling to. I have a few palliative drugs to try to make you comfortable. I have the looming knowledge that it will be up me to understand, and to listen to you, when you need me to bring you back here for the last time. And I have the knowledge that that day will be soon. All that I can give you is the promise, because while you owe me nothing, I owe you everything, that I will help you.

Back home, we move a bed downstairs so that we can live together on one floor, respecting the fact that you've always preferred to be within a few feet of my ankles at any time, and that the stairs, like our steep portage to the trout lake, are now off limits for you.

And time with you now is a rollercoaster. At times, lying splayed on your side in an opiate daze, you stare at the wall and I want it to be over. But then you drift off, and all five limbs (because if a lab's tail isn't a limb then what is it?) twitch and thump as you charge off after a pheasant flushed and tumbled to the ground in a field of dreams. And then you wake and wince to your feet while I leap to mine. Outside, I curse the snowy remnants of the longest winter in recent history as you stumble around painfully trying to get positioned. When you wince and I see the whites of your eyes, your velvet ears pinned back against your big yellow head I am shattered. I hope that no neighbors happen by at that moment to witness my grief. But a moment later you're snuffling your nose happily into the snow, flushing some ghost of a peanut deep beneath. Then, we both freeze at once and cock our ears to the sound. Clear as a bell in the cool spring air, even over the swish and splash of springtime urban traffic, we both heard it. Ga-HONK. I turn to look at you, and I'm gutted once again by your bird-stiffened stance, strong neck stretched upward, ears forwards, with that gleam in your eye as you focus on the sky and wait for them to appear. When they do appear you glance quickly at me, then back at the geese. Yes, I saw them too! As the nine of them glide right overhead, their own long necks stretched northward over the neighbourhood rooftops, I can see the slight tremble of anticipation that you always get. If you heard the click of a safety you'd flinch a bit and coil yourself for the retrieve. And if I shot one, you'd make that retrieve I'm quite sure - three-legged and osteosarcoma be damned. And this shatters me too. Once again, no neighbours to witness my heaving shoulders as I kneel and gather your big head into my arms. You pull away - I'm blocking your view of the departing geese dammit!

To be continued...

Last edited:
I'm grieving right along with you. You & your furry Child are in my prayers.

Thanks fellas for the supportive thoughts and kind words.

The past four days have been heartbreaking, and things have devolved even faster than the vet warned us that they might. I tried metacam, then added tramadol, then added amantadine. Sadly, these have proven ineffective in providing Ruby with a measure of relief that I would consider humane and that she very much deserves. There is no ambiguity about what needs to be done, and that the time to do it is now. To drag this out any longer would be selfish, pointless and cruel.

So tomorrow morning I will cook up the breast of the last fat mallard that she retrieved last fall on a cold and misty morning on the riverbank, and feed it to her (it would stick in my throat anyways). Even though I didn't know at the time that it would be her last, I remember it very clearly. Big black cattle had broken through the fence and were very curious about our activities - coming to the duck calls even when the mallards wouldn't! Ruby made a blind retrieve on the far bank of the river and the current carried her down on her return so that she came out right where the curious cattle were waiting, up to their hocks in the river. She was nervous enough that she did not stop to shake, but made her way through their legs and dripping noses with her prize held close and rivulets of water dripping from her body in the warm sunrise light. She retrieved another five mallards and three geese that day - one helluva retirement party.

Then we'll spend the day keeping her comfortable and comforted before making our way to the vet for the last appointment of the day to be with her, to hold her great yellow head against my face, and to send her on her way with the dignity that she deserves. We find comfort in the memories of 9 years of wonderful companionship and adventure with her.

I am saying a prayer as I write this for you, your family, Ruby and the Vet. This is the saddest of all life's events, for it requires you to be an active participant and not just a victim. Certainly the loss of a child, wife, husband or other loved one is a major tragedy, but there is no choice that you have to perform in those cases, but to know you are "the primary" involved in the whole process is particularly distressing when it is your dog, for your dog loves and trusts you more than anybody or any other thing in your life! It is because of this relationship of trust that it is necessary, mandatory, and THE most painful decision you will ever have to make. I have "been there done that" with perhaps thousands of owners and their pets in my role as "their vet", and I can tell you that it sucks for every one involved. Even when we know without a doubt that we are doing the deed to relieve them of suffering, there is scant comfort for the "pardner" left behind.

I can only offer these meager words:

That she loved you is a "given", and that you loved her is likewise a "given", so you need to KNOW that what you did, or are doing, is/was for her! That huge hole you are feeling in your heart, tells you it certainly wasn't for you. We all know that what you had to do was the last KIND thing you could do for your girl, and that in so doing, you are shouldering the pain and suffering ,and sense of loss that is inevitable in this life's experience. Still, it is difficult to accept it. We all share your pain , and remember our own in so doing, therefore, please know we are "right there" with you, and take comfort that we truly do share your pain. We might sometimes be "competitors" in the field, but know for a certainty that at this time, we are all remembering our time in this particular "foxhole", with you. I hope that brings comfort to you.

Now, a last piece of advice: Grieve some, but go get another dog soon! A new pup will not only help you heal, but will remind you of Ruby in so many ways and will therefore keep Ruby in your memories, even while building his or her own new place in your heart. The new and the old taking up residence side by side in your breast. Dogs never displace one another in your heart! God bless you, my friend. Wm. M. Knight D.V.M. retired

Dr Knight - if there were better words than thank-you I would not hesitate to use them. I went with "Dr" because it seems like even though you're no longer getting paid for your services you are clearly still doing a vets work of healing canines and their people.
It's hard to wrap our heads around the idea of another dog right now, of course. As painful as this is there is no question that the joy that she brought us over the years outweighs it ten-fold or more. There is no question that there will be a pup in our future with four big shoes to fill.
-Dave

I've enjoyed the photos of you and your terrific Lab over the years. Very sad what has happened. But you gave the dog the best possible life it could have which is all that a human can do for a dog. It's time to get another dog and do the same for it. Another dog needs you.

Last edited:
I write a tribute to all my dogs after they have passed, frame it, & post it with my favorite photo on my remembrance wall. The following was my most recent . . .

<Addendum 5/10/09 . . . As Will Rogers once said, "I don't know if dogs go to Heaven, but if they don't, I want to go to wherever they do go when I die." I'll second that wish . . . Maggie, my "Furry Child" and no one was ever blessed with a better Lab or a finer companion. Mags was a splendid creature . . . she above every other Lab I've had (there have been three), was by far and away the most gifted . . . both in terms of skill, instinct, intelligence, ability and above all, of her capacity to teach this old boy about unconditional love . . . of this she was full to bursting. When this photo was captured, Maggie had flawlessly retrieved 20 geese that crisp Fall morning, reveling in the experience and she was wondering why we were picking-up decoys. I call it, "Birds in the Air." Not pheasants, her passion, but most appropriate nonetheless. More than missing her, I'm thankful for having ever known her . . . she was my Loyal Friend, my Dog of a Lifetime. All people should be so blessed . . . the world would be a better place. Thanks, Mags . . . >

It sounds as if you too were "so blessed," Crockett. You & Ruby shared a wonderful life, and she had a great home. Dr. Knight gave sound advice re: a new pup. Hang in there. Actually, a dog's only fault is that they don't live long enough, but while they are with us they give us their all.

Last edited:
Crockett,

I just lost my Ruby a month or so ago. I know the pain, I feel it in your words. Someone wrote to me and reminded me that if she were to pick any life for herself it would have been with you, and all the retrieves and hunting she experienced was because you cared enough to give a hunting dog a truly wonderful life. Stay strong and take some time to grieve before getting that new pup.

I want you to know you and your Ruby are in my thoughts today. Like many others here, it's as if I've known both of you for awhile now. My "day-trips to Canada" as I tell my wife, have all been in your shoes, while following Ruby. This morning I followed you to the vet's office, with my throat balled up in a knot.

I'm sorry for your loss crockett!

Last edited:
Dave, I'm so sorry to hear about Ruby and I know how devastating it is. Take comfort in all the great times you spent together and the unconditional love she gave you. My heart goes out to you.
Tom

I'd say you were both very very lucky to have each other.
Sorry for what you and her are going thru. Hang in there.

I'm glad to be a part of you guys and your dogs.
Bird dogs are something else aren't they.
I have teary eyes like everyone reading this.
I still have tears and comfort at the same time looking at all the pics of the past adventures with my best pals, and ohhh how I miss them. Still, so very glad I got to know them, like You, WE had some!!!! times.
Wishing You and Your family comfort and the best.

Thank you so much everyone - it means more than you know.

We just got home to a very empty house. At 5 pm today I felt Ruby's great soft head go heavy in my hands as the sedative kicked in, and then she went as softly and calmly as we could have hoped. It's was with a broken heart but no small measure of relief that her suffering has ended that I let her go. Our vet wept alongside us.

Thanks again everyone - your words really are a testament to the brotherhood of bird hunters that bonds us all together and ignores international borders.

Dave

Dave,

I am truly sorry for your loss. Hopefully you can take some comfort knowing many of us have gone through the same pain. You surely did the best by her, your writing brought a tear to my eye. Take care it will get easier with time.

That was a nice tribute to Ruby, and you absolutely did right by her. You gave her a wonderful life, and you made the tough choice of letting her go at the right time. Any pup out there would be lucky to have you.

Thanks once again to all for your kinds words. I have been taking a trip down memory lane since we put Ruby down, both by revisiting all of her favourite spots in the woods and waters of Nova Scotia, but also by compiling a bunch of photos and video clips of all the great times that we had with her. I stitched these together into a few videos. They're a little on the long side (lots of memories I guess), so I wouldn't blame you for scrolling ahead through them. But I'll post them up anyhow. There's one just of her training/hunting adventures, and one of her "family" life.
-Dave

Ruby's hunting life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7nunf-eySE

Ruby's family life:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3g3Zjd7kJU

Crockett. I, along with the others, grieve with you from the terminal story you have shared. I thank you for the tribute you have shared. You blessed her memory through the extensive photo documentation you painstakingly took the time to create, it will lift you at low points in the future. We all know that day will come, but we can never truly prepare for it. The good Lord made a dog's life short, so we humans could enjoy several of them in our lifetime and as teachers of how we should conduct our lives. If we could only be half the man our dogs think we are!

One thing is for sure, you gave her the best life she could have hoped for. She picked one awesome human for her time here. That hole in your heart is merely a kennel, waiting for that next wonderful buddy to make a home in.

God Bless, and keep the strength.

GDF

Crockett. I, along with the others, grieve with you from the terminal story you have shared. I thank you for the tribute you have shared. You blessed her memory through the extensive photo documentation you painstakingly took the time to create, it will lift you at low points in the future. We all know that day will come, but we can never truly prepare for it. The good Lord made a dog's life short, so we humans could enjoy several of them in our lifetime and as teachers of how we should conduct our lives. If we could only be half the man our dogs think we are!

One thing is for sure, you gave her the best life she could have hoped for. She picked one awesome human for her time here. That hole in your heart is merely a kennel, waiting for that next wonderful buddy to make a home in.

God Bless, and keep the strength.

GDF
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Crockett, losing my dog is still very raw for me and your beautiful story of you and Ruby makes me realise that we bird dog people the world over have such a remarkable relationship with our dogs...who else but raving mad hunters and their wonderful dogs would go where we go; endure the cold, the wet, dog toothed thermuses of luke warm liquid with only a vague memory of coffee, ...

I think the last of your three fotos is beautiful...

Back