When do we start the push for change?

I'd be up for a call/email to whichever powers that be, but I've never been sure what's allowed and what isn't.
Just tell them what you think about your NR view of upland hunting in KS and what you think would make it better.

Here's the link to email all at once. Next meeting is Jan 13 I believe. I just sent them my thoughts.

Can someone give a brief summary of what we should say when we call? I am a resident hunter who has been blessed with private land to hunt, but I want to help.
Ever see Clark's rant on Christmas Vacation? Like that.

All kidding aside just let them know what you see compared to what they claim and you no longer feel the need to spend your dollars here any longer. As far as the farming practices and habitat money like mentioned by bowhunter those complaints go to the legislature. Gripes on Walk-in habitat go to kdwp.

Can someone give a brief summary of what we should say when we call? I am a resident hunter who has been blessed with private land to hunt, but I want to help.
If you're talking to our KS legislature I hate to be a negative nancy but there isn't much you can say as it falls on deaf ears - however I do believe there are 2 commissioners now that get the problem - the rest are clueless and dont care.

What needs to happen is the legislature needs ABSOLUTELY zero say in how the deer herd is managed and the Biologists need 100% control of issuing the tags with no legislative mandates.

Economically speaking if you can find any data online that supports the economic impact of upland bird hunters vs deer hunters for the local economy that would speak volumes as well. South Dakota I'm guessing would be the only state that may have such data -- I dunno.

As a long time NR Kansas hunter (except for this year) , I have certainly seen the upland bird populations and quality public lands decline. I think my first year hunting Kansas was '07 or '08. The first 7 or so years were really good. Lots of the CRP and brushy draws we used to hunt are being farmed now. A couple of our favorite WIHA came out of the program and look better now than they ever did , with the exception of the deer stands on them. Ive wondered how often KDWP gets out bid by deer leases once the contracts run out? KANSAS is still way better than here in the southeast for bird hunting though!

good luck.
a lot of CRP contracts have expired/or are going to expire. Over a million acres.
that leaves row crop cover to fill in, good luck.
by the time prairie fires (400k acres this year) and deer leases are complete, there is precious little left and that is over hunted public ground.
i will turn to preserve hunts and save gas, room and travel expenses plus hours on the road.
hard to get a new dog schooled when there is limited contact.
sad......i remember the 90's in Kansas. now just a memory.

If you're talking to our KS legislature I hate to be a negative nancy but there isn't much you can say as it falls on deaf ears - however I do believe there are 2 commissioners now that get the problem - the rest are clueless and dont care.

What needs to happen is the legislature needs ABSOLUTELY zero say in how the deer herd is managed and the Biologists need 100% control of issuing the tags with no legislative mandates.

Economically speaking if you can find any data online that supports the economic impact of upland bird hunters vs deer hunters for the local economy that would speak volumes as well. South Dakota I'm guessing would be the only state that may have such data -- I dunno.
doubtful, they are too damn lazy to even conduct a bird count in the fall.

good luck.
a lot of CRP contracts have expired/or are going to expire. Over a million acres.
that leaves row crop cover to fill in, good luck.
by the time prairie fires (400k acres this year) and deer leases are complete, there is precious little left and that is over hunted public ground.
i will turn to preserve hunts and save gas, room and travel expenses plus hours on the road.
hard to get a new dog schooled when there is limited contact.
sad......i remember the 90's in Kansas. now just a memory.
16.5 million acres were enrolled in the CRP program in 1997. I would think that would have something to do with the increase in pheasants from 2000-2011. In 2010 only 4.3 million CRP acres enrolled. 2012 we started to see a decline. Everyone likes to point towards drought, but pheasants survive just fine in drought years. Just look at the northern plains this year. I guarantee you that if there would have been 16.5 million acres enrolled again this year, in a couple of years you would have seen another pheasant boom.

Amen and agreed---the CRP drawdown, plus higher crop prices led to a tremendous decline of gamebird habitat in the Midwest. The 1985 Farm Bill was a real boon to bird populations; there'll need to be a similar plan to increase habitat before we see anything like the mid-90's-early 2000's again

Amen and agreed---the CRP drawdown, plus higher crop prices led to a tremendous decline of gamebird habitat in the Midwest. The 1985 Farm Bill was a real boon to bird populations; there'll need to be a similar plan to increase habitat before we see anything like the mid-90's-early 2000's again
Yep. Everyone on here is down on the KDWP and they have done a terrible job in regulations with Deer Management (especially Non Resident deer hunting) but they are limited on upland birds. It is private land owners that will determine pheasant populations, not the kdwp and not drought. Pheasants will always have a better hatch in a dry year versus a wet year, especially when we have adequate CRP. The more CRP you have, the more cover you have and less haying. Hay bales are a pheasants enemy. As far as drought, when Kansas had all the CRP back in the 90's and early 2000's, drought had no effect on birds. At least he wasn't the scape goat.

Bumping this old thread just to say I never heard anything at all from the Commissioners when I emailed them all with my thoughts prior to the January meeting. No response in any way, shape or form despite a requested response.

Stunned, I tell ya....I'm just stunned. NOT.

Bumping this old thread just to say I never heard anything at all from the Commissioners when I emailed them all with my thoughts prior to the January meeting. No response in any way, shape or form despite a requested response.

Stunned, I tell ya....I'm just stunned. NOT.
I am not stunned at all. Been putting up with that since 1995 when they started the out of state deer hunting B.S.

and that is exactly why i am done with hunting upland in Kansas. i will spend my money on Iowa and SD.
Kansas and NE are a joke. They want your money and don't want to be bothered.
All the complaining, emails to representative, emails to the legislature, emails to the commission, emails to the KDWP are a total waste of time. Unless you can convince them of a way that produces revenue, they are not going to entertain you at all. When revenue all but disappears, then you can make change. When they have a surplus for the 24,000 available NR deer tags, they are not going to listen to anyone's concerns about upland hunting. They are never going to listen to residents, we tried that in 1995 then again when they went with crossbow inclusion. The only thing they hear are NR's applying for deer tags and NR's coming here to hunt upland game and waterfowl. There is a reason that NR's hunters out number resident hunters, because that is who is catered too. Outfitters pave the way with non resident guided hunts for all species of game. Show Me The Money is the states slogan.

people are getting wise, upland NR revenue will plunge this next season. for many NR's it is beginning to make sense to stay home and shoot pen raised birds or you can spend a small fortune on gas, lodging, licenses and still pay $300 per day to shoot wild/preserve birds in SD.
for the most part, you are still shooting preserve birds in SD. why drive that far to get the same experience closer to home for less money?
economically, it makes no sense. i miss the old Kansas, 20 years ago.

Hunter, you are absolutely right. I don't know how many times different people have told me, if you hunt with a commercial guide, "No matter what you hear about how "wild" the birds are, with all the hunters that descend on SD in the Fall, most of the birds you shoot will be preserve birds." The cost is nontrivial and only the topography has changed. That stands to reason; when gangs of 4-8 guys limit out or near limits each day of a weeklong trip, multiplied by hundreds/thousands of groups, there just aren't that many wild birds out there!! This last fall I started hunting at a preserve 160 miles west of home--flat land in Illinois--good cover, birds were fast runners/strong flyers and honestly, after shooting over 400 wild birds in the last 25 years I was hard put to tell the difference, and my dog got a hell of a lot more work. I heartily salute the guys who live in Iowa, SD, Nebraska etc. who have time to scout religiously, talk to cafe and retail business owners, search the hunting apps and atlases
and ID all the "hot" walk in areas, but living in northern Indiana and with gas at near $3.40/gallon, for me that just does not make sense. It just isn't cost-effective at all. I'll still take a trip or two west each year, but certainly not because it makes economic sense--because it doesn't.

i don't want to be a debbie downer, weather, hatch, habitat, they all play a part in what is left for the upland hunter.
but when state GF folks don't respond or don't announce a plan to help mitigate the circumstances that face hunter success,
well, just ignoring the deficit of bird populations or failing to make counts available to the public is plain inexcusable.
yet still expecting me to pony up $100+ (for a license) is just bullshit.

i don't want to be a debbie downer, weather, hatch, habitat, they all play a part in what is left for the upland hunter.
but when state GF folks don't respond or don't announce a plan to help mitigate the circumstances that face hunter success,
well, just ignoring the deficit of bird populations or failing to make counts available to the public is plain inexcusable.
yet still expecting me to pony up $100+ (for a license) is just bullshit.
If you want a surplus of birds you have to talk landowners into putting land into CRP. Less than 4 million acres enrolled in 2021 compared to 16 million in 1997. Those acres expired the last 2 years.

can't expect farmers to give up their livelihood. $5-7 corn is the competition, not going to happen.
was fun while it lasted.
No I agree, however they could be persuaded to put a small portion, maybe 2.5% back into some type of habitat through a gov't funded program. Until that happens or we see 16 million acres of CRP enrolled, don't plan on having an abundance of upland birds in Kansas. If crop prices are up, pheasant number will be down. You say "can't expect farmers to give up their livelihood". At the same time I don't expect them to plant crops to the edge of the road. They plant all the way to the road, then wonder why the county can't maintain roads after a rain. The only place water can go is straight to the road. Some of you just want to blame the the KDWP for bird numbers. All they can control is the regulations. Its the landowners that can impact bird numbers. The KDWP owns about 60,000 acres in Kansas, private landowners control 98%. If private landowners contribute, we will have birds. That's the bottom line, like it or not.

Last edited:
people are getting wise, upland NR revenue will plunge this next season. for many NR's it is beginning to make sense to stay home and shoot pen raised birds or you can spend a small fortune on gas, lodging, licenses and still pay $300 per day to shoot wild/preserve birds in SD.
for the most part, you are still shooting preserve birds in SD. why drive that far to get the same experience closer to home for less money?
economically, it makes no sense. i miss the old Kansas, 20 years
Agreed, Last few years in K.S. has been more of a hiking vacation than a than a hunting one. You mentioned 5-7 dollar corn. I'm wondering what's going to happen next year after these anhydrous ammonia prices. Most guys around here not planting much corn. Astronomical corn prices next year? Beef/poultry prices? Hell, we may not even be able to afford to drive to K.S.!!

Back