Wheat Harvest

I have worked in Liberal the last two days. Had several different travel routes going and coming. Saw an unbelievable number of roosters chasing hens. That was really encouraging to see that many birds, but as far as nesting success, that looks bleak.

Here are some pictures along 83 Highway between Liberal and Sublette. These pictures are not of unusual fields, but normal fields of dryland wheat. Once in a while you would see a fair field, but there were miles and miles of this.

IMG_8879.jpg

IMG_8882.jpg

The man upstairs must have heard some of us praying for a bit of rain. I just talked to the ole' man and he said they got a tenth of an inch this AM. It ain't much, but it's better than nothing.

Last edited:
Ditto That!!! Keep are fingers crossed that the men and women who's lively hoods depend on it!!!!

Ditto That!!! Keep are fingers crossed that the men and women who's lively hoods depend on it!!!!

Couldn't agree more Bleu. Lot's of money at stake, for lots of good people. Birds are secondary, although I'd like to see both prosper. Did anybody get rain with tonight's storm front?

Talked to dad last night in SEK, said it rained hard for 2 hours, not the way you really want it, but beats nothing.

He said my uncle talked to the farmer west of Great Bend he buys alfalfa from and we hunt on a lot. Said if it isn't irrigated, it isn't there. His dryland alfalfa isn't 3" tall yet and first cutting should be in the bale by now.

The long range forecast starting about the middle of next week has it pattern shifting and western Kansas getting some rain. Lets hope its right!

Wyoming conditions WIERD!

NC WY unusually cold. Thought central plains were getting what they needed. Usually do a late Jan. Oberland hunt. Now worried. Love it down there (roosters and bwq). Allways welcomed by local farmers. Sincerely hope they do well. Very good guys!!!! I'll come anyway. If any birds my beauties will find them (positive thinking). KEEP YOUR FINGERS CROSSED!!!!

Wierd weather patterns

Absolutely wierd weather up here in nc WY. almost no sunshine, loads of moisture, and temps chilly. still snowing in big horn mtns, no snow pack melt in mtns. gonna be a big flood here when melt starts. see plenty of hens and roosters but havnt seen any chicks. i thinks late cold wet spring risk for young ones (pneumonia ?). :confused:

If I remember correctly the farmers had until the 15th of May to kill their Wheat if they took the insurance . Someone on here will be more helpful and correct me if I am wrong. Most farmers can't afford 100% coverage, so if the adjuster comes out on tells him his yield will be 3 bushel an acre and he thinks he can get 10 bushel, he may keep it and take the chance. Either way he will lose money,just a matter of cutting the losses. There is a lot of tricky ins and outs that I do not understand fully about continuous crop and insurance crap. It is not good any way you slice it. I think they are only 4-5 years removed from the last drought and were recovering from that, only to have this hit!!! I believe a good dry land year for Wheat is around 45 bushel an acre.

Back