Wheat Harvest

BleuBijou

Well it looks bleak out West!!! Where I hunt and stay in Lane County , my friend has sprayed and zeroed out his crop, hoping to replant in September!!! Too dry and no sub moisture for him to plant Milo!!!! Hope the birds find suitable and newer CRP to nest and raise a Brood !!!!! Most of all, I hope they can find crops up North to Harvest to stay in business!!!!!!

That's terrible news... the weather pattern is really screwing things up out there. :mad:

I was hoping they'd get some of this last batch, but it appears they got missed again.

I have a friend that sprayed 2000 acres north of Dighton with Roundup to kill it. Crop insurance appraised it at 3 bu. to the acre.

Green wheat is great for nests and chicks. Very sad that it is being destroyed.

Green wheat is great for nests and chicks. Very sad that it is being destroyed.

It is not worthy of nesting hens!!!! It is pretty sparse!!!! Irrigated Wheat will hold a bunch I bet!!!!!

only areas with center pivots will hold a decent number of birds, we were overdue for a dry spell.

Unfortunately, 70% or more of the nests are usually in green wheat out there. It's lining up to be a tough season for farmers and the birds. Us too.

Some of the wheat is so sparse I don't think the hens will even try to nest there. 70% of the nest may be in the wheat in a normal year, but just because they don't have the wheat don't mean they won't go to the crp or pasture. They usually nest in the wheat because that is the best habitat which it isn't this year. I have some of last year wheat stubble and some pasture we leave for the birds, and I saw several hens acting nesty in both covers. All we can do is hope for the best.

I have worked the 3i Show at Garden the last two days and due to road construction on Highway 50 was taking Pole Line Road to and from Garden. There is a bunch of wheat 9 to 15 inches tall and headed. You can see lots of bare ground between the rows. Bad news.

Talked to a cousin from southern Ness County. He said his wheat was just good enough that the adjuster probably won't release it and he will have to cut it and then settle his insurance claim. Bad news.

Wish I had good news on the western Kansas wheat, but just don't.

I haven't talked to the wife's family out in SW KS lately. Kinda scared to now! Doesn't sound like there will be lots of those young, dumb pheasants running around next fall!

Mike C.

Dad planted 2200 acres of dryland wheat strips this year. They already have plans to spray kill 3 of those strips (40 acres each)and may have to do more if they can't get another good rain. They'll be planting those strips to milo later in the year. Too bad they can't just let the weeds come up in those strips:rolleyes: The strips that are still standing don't look like good nesting cover.

On a slightly positive note, they planted 2 full circles of irrigated wheat. They've always done it that way and so long as there are some folks doing that here and there throughout, there is hope for a few young birds this fall. As others have stated, pray for a bit of rain quick!!

We're expecting a change in the weather pattern here on the East side of the state come Wednesday. I'm hoping it'll bring you boys out West some rain as well.

Unfortunately, 70% or more of the nests are usually in green wheat out there. It's lining up to be a tough season for farmers and the birds. Us too.

Hate to hear that guys. Here in Ohio we have had rain and more rain. Lots of local floods past month or so.You could grow rice in the fields around my farm.

To much rain and cold here in central Wisconsin. Talked to the farmer I used to work for said he planted sweet corn a month ago and it still hasn't come up. It was to wet for the potatoe guys to plant too. We had a little dry spell and everybody was working the fields. Wish we could send it out to you guys.

I just heard on the news that Kansas intends on designating 29 counties as agricultural natural disasters. I was browsing the net for a list, but apparently it isn't up yet. Things aren't looking so well. :mad:

Back