What's In Your SxS Battery?

david0311

Hi all, just for fun, what's in your SxS battery? I'm kind of a SxS nut case, just love them! To me no better gun in the world for upland hunting (or ducks for that matter!). Anyway, here's mine:

12b James Purdey, Best
12b Holland & Holland, Royal
12b E.J. Churchill, Premiere Quality
12b John Blanch, Best
12b Henry Atkin, Best
12b Cogswell & Harrison, Konor
12b FA Anderson, BLE
12b Joseph Harkom, Hammergun
12b Samuel Allport, Hammergun
12ga Buhag, Hubertus, SLE
12ga Merkel, 147E
12ga Bernadelli, Italia, Hammergun
12ga SIACE, 350g, Hammergun
16b John Wilkes, Best Grade SLE
16b Charles Hellis, Best Grade BLE
16b Charles Boswell, 2d Quality
16b D. Gotobed, Hammergun
16ga Arrieta, 871 (Boss style engraving)
16ga Garbi, 100
16ga Ugartechea, 1030
16ga FN, BLE
16ga Carl Goluch, Hammergun (made by Franz Sodia)
16ga Carl Grudig, Hammergun
16ga Dickinson, BLE

Like I said, I LOVE SxS's. Some of the above have damascus bbls, which are quite lovely.

So....yours?

Best!

Greg

-- Yawn

yep me to plus 20 and 28 in each--No not really--dc

Uncle Buck, howdy! You got me going on these darned things...thanks! I think...yes, kidding. GJW, I have followed you as well on other sights...nice guns! I am envious, and afflicted! I picked up a grade 3 uggie 16 ga. from Hill Rod and gun in 2010...then an AYA 4/53 20 ga about a month later...then an AOC Uggie 16 ga. the next year....and then a grade 1 Uggie 28 ga. last summer....and, I am safekeeping a Parker DHE 16 ga for my buddies widow (he died last year)...i just wipe it down once in a while and think of him. Bottom line, I really enjoy these darned things, and spend a lot of time window shopping online every day...would love a winchester model 21 some day...a bird shot with one of these is somehow more special to me than with any of my other guns, but that is just me. Enjoy!!! Great post.

I have a couple 16's.

1960 Beretta 409 Silver Hawk
1925 Simson "Spezial"

I enjoy SxS's and 16 gauges as a sort of nostalgic tangent to my more practical 12 gauge OU/auto nature.

Added a couple more this month.

16 ga. Dickinson Arms
12 ga. SKB 200E

Tried the SKB this morning on sporting clays. I was lost with it for the first three stations and then the lights came on and I finished with a respectable 70/100. Hopin' it becomes my official SxS clay buster! It just might based on how it shot today. The other three are 16 gauges and will mostly see live birdies.

Not sure I qualify as the owner of a "battery."

Best, longest owned, is an AYA 20ga Matador II, 26 in, improved/modified, single selective trigger.

Then the Stevens 311 12ga modified/full, 30 in which is a field grade lovely old gun.

Last, an AYA (sears) 12ga, chokes honed to improved/modified, 28 in.

All nice guns, as I consider reducing the # of guns I have, think the 20ga is the only one I'll stick with. The 311 was fun on ducks and turkeys, but has some weight to it, as does the AYA 12.

Somewhere I have pictures; I'll look for them. :)

All time fav is my Westley Richards hammer double!
72 grains of FFG and 1oz of shot is danged near perfect for birds over a pointer!
DT

Added a couple more this month.

16 ga. Dickinson Arms
12 ga. SKB 200E

Tried the SKB this morning on sporting clays. I was lost with it for the first three stations and then the lights came on and I finished with a respectable 70/100. Hopin' it becomes my official SxS clay buster! It just might based on how it shot today. The other three are 16 gauges and will mostly see live birdies.

Being this thread popped up again I shot the SKB well, my next round was an 86/100, but I ended up selling it to my shooting buddy who is an SKB SxS fanatic. I picked up a much less expensive 30" Miroku SxS for the clay games, and I'll hunt with my 16 SxS.

Carry on.

Found 'em!

AYA Matador II, 20ga, single selective, vent rib, imp cyl/mod.

Stevens 5100, 12ga, full/mod. I keep on thinking of it as a 311 :)

and

AYA/sears, model 100 (I think), 12ga. mod/full--honed to imp cyl/mod.

The Stevens had lost a lot of blueing, so I ended spraying barrels with high-temp engine enamel. Has held up fine.

The AYA is a lovely old gun, but I just don't use it.

and, as I said, the AYA 20 was a dumb-luck find years ago, and has been the go-to shotgun.

But....given that this is a pheasant HUNTING
Forum, the question which should be asked is not - who owns the largest number of most expensive guns, but who kills the most birds. I'll bet it's a guy who owns a old Model 12 or 31, and doesn't feel the need to impress anyone. Waaay, are you Jay Leno?

don't bet very much money on it, just a hint

cheers

doubles

my favorite is a 1926 Ithaca 410 NID in nearly mint condition, bought it more than a few years ago $75
my worst double I have ever owned, actually two of them is the aya 4/53 28 ga. there were so many things wrong with both of them they gave me my money back about a month ago
I have 12 muzzle loaders in shooting condition some, high grade and use some of them every season.
two lc. smith 20ga field grade
beretta silver pigeon, 28 ga. that's my waterfowl gun
two cz's in 28 and 410
a wonderful, condition at least, cresent arms 16 ga. hammer gun
a couple of Ithaca damascus 12ga. showing all the original finish on the barrels.

these are the few that get me through life and hunting season

cheers

OK, I'll play.............

1. CSMC RBL 16 GA, 29" tubes, straight grip, splinter, SK1/SK2
2. Ugartechea "Quail Special" 16 GA, 28", SG,SPL, SK1/SK2
3. Vincenzio Bernardelli Roma 4, 20 GA, SG, SPL, SK1/Mod

Living where we do, these are a mostly "grouse centric" battery. But the 16's get taken Out West each fall and carried behind pointy type dogs.:thumbsup:

NB

NB, I don't think I was aware you were into the 16's. Hope you have them in SD this fall and I have a chance to shoulder them. All I've hunted with the past 5 years have been 16's. My Sweet Sixteen and my Citori White Lightning.

2 CZ's and one L.C.Smith, all three 20ga.

This will be my 30th season using SxSs for bird hunting. My first was a BSS Sporter 12 ga., then some years later I bought a 16 ga. M-21 from a hunting buddy. Seems like every several years thereafter I've seen something else I persuaded myself would fill some kind of niche. But it's really just a matter of liking them and enjoying having them in my hands.

The rest are shown below, in approx. the order I got them. All are straight grip, only the last has double triggers. For pheasants I pretty much use only the 16s.

Jay

Ithaca-SKB 280E 20 ga.
BSS Sporter 20 ga.
Winchester/Parker Repro. DHE 28 ga.
CSMC RBL 16 ga.
Dickinson 16 ga.

Last edited:
This will be my 30th season using SxSs for bird hunting. My first was a BSS Sporter 12 ga., then some years later I bought a 16 ga. M-21 from a hunting buddy. Seems like every several years thereafter I've seen something else I persuaded myself would fill some kind of niche. But it's really just a matter of liking and enjoying having them in my hands.

The rest are shown below, in approx. the order I got them. All are straight grip, only the last has double triggers. For pheasants I pretty much use only the 16s.

Jay

Ithaca-SKB 280E 20 ga.
BSS Sporter 20 ga.
Winchester/Parker Repro. DHE 28 ga.
CSMC RBL 16 ga.
Dickinson 16 ga.
Nice bunch of SXS guns!
I two weekends ago that this is my 50th year hunting upland birds, and after reading your post I again realized that I have never shot a pheasant with anything but a SXS or an O/U!:p
To that end the first birds this year went down to Gramps' Lefaufcheux under lever 16 with 68 grains of FFG and 7/8 oz of plated 6's!
I had rebuilt it extensively last year but hadn't fired it since.

DT

Last edited:
Back