What's In Your SxS Battery?

gjw

Hi all, just for fun, what's in your SxS battery? I'm kind of a SxS nut case, just love them! To me no better gun in the world for upland hunting (or ducks for that matter!). Anyway, here's mine:

12b James Purdey, Best
12b Holland & Holland, Royal
12b E.J. Churchill, Premiere Quality
12b John Blanch, Best
12b Henry Atkin, Best
12b Cogswell & Harrison, Konor
12b FA Anderson, BLE
12b Joseph Harkom, Hammergun
12b Samuel Allport, Hammergun
12ga Buhag, Hubertus, SLE
12ga Merkel, 147E
12ga Bernadelli, Italia, Hammergun
12ga SIACE, 350g, Hammergun
16b John Wilkes, Best Grade SLE
16b Charles Hellis, Best Grade BLE
16b Charles Boswell, 2d Quality
16b D. Gotobed, Hammergun
16ga Arrieta, 871 (Boss style engraving)
16ga Garbi, 100
16ga Ugartechea, 1030
16ga FN, BLE
16ga Carl Goluch, Hammergun (made by Franz Sodia)
16ga Carl Grudig, Hammergun
16ga Dickinson, BLE

Like I said, I LOVE SxS's. Some of the above have damascus bbls, which are quite lovely.

So....yours?

Best!

Greg

Last edited:
(1) 12ga. Dickinson, 26" barrels, I.C./I.M., double triggers, straight grip English stock, splinter forend. (2) 16ga. Springfield/Stevens 5100, 28' barrels, Mod./I.M., double triggers, pistol grip stock, regular forend. (3) 20ga. Laurona, 26" barrels, Cyl./I.c., double triggers, pistol grip stock, semi-beavertail forend.

I don't know if I should reply. Both of my SxSs wouldn't equal one of those on that impressive list. However I have a "new" Marlin brand L.C. Smith, made in Italy and I have an Ithaca/SKB M100. Both shoot well and both have taken pheasants. I like both of them.

Thank you thank you thank you. I am showing my wife your list. She calls me a nut due to my gun safe. In terms of quantity , we are roughly even. But mine includes rimfires , center fires, shotguns and pistols. If this thread won't gain me a good side by side then nothing will I am afraid.

Mine can't compare to that esteemed list, but I have 3 CZ's & my Dad's old Stevens. If your a "nut," that's an enviable form of insanity, lol. Nice collection.

Thank you thank you thank you. I am showing my wife your list. She calls me a nut due to my gun safe. In terms of quantity , we are roughly even. But mine includes rimfires , center fires, shotguns and pistols. If this thread won't gain me a good side by side then nothing will I am afraid.

I wish you luck!!! I have to say I'm lucky that my wife is good gal to allow me my "hobby" . This list was just my SxS's got some handguns, rifles, and other shotguns. My kids all have their own guns also....and take a guess what they hunt birds with?

Again, Good Luck!!!!

Greg

Just four.
a 16 gauge Fox Sterlingworth made in 1919
a 12 gauge Ferlach gun by Borovnik made in 1949.
a 20 gauge S&W Elite Gold.
A brand new Dickinson 12 gauge already having the lously plastic stock finish removed and a hand rubbed oil finish being applied. I did the same to its little brother the 20 gauge S&W.
Four is really my max. I can't do justice to each if I get many more.

I used to save for delightful doubles. The high grade English guns, I was afraid to take to the field, didn't shoot them well, same with alot high grade American guns. Always liked the side x sides, have a couple of L.C. Smith's, which fit me better than the others, sometimes sensationally if I don't think about it! Probably the raised rib. My girls shoot Ithaca flues 20 ga. Best shooters for me, O/U's, a Remington 32, and believe it or not a Savage/O/U 330! Mechanical triggers, lightning fast lock time, pattern where they are supposed to, easy to take care of, hunt in all kinds of weather, I wouldn't if I had the case-color guns, in the rain.

Not much ----just an old Fox 16 ga- and a 12 ga black powder muzzle loader :D

Grulla 209 12 ga., AYA#2 RB 16, Uggie 12 and 16, Zabala(American Arms Derby)20, Franchi Destino 20 and Fulton Arms Hunter 12.
Shot the Grulla for 37 years, went to Derby and still carry it a lot, when I do not have the Uggie 16 in hand. The AYA gets out on the rare occasion when I can be gentle with it and the Destino has never been shot. Have never had the Fulton out. Got it cheap at an auction. Will shoot it some day then put it away. Hardly ever shoot a 12 anymore.

Hi all, just for fun, what's in your SxS battery? I'm kind of a SxS nut case, just love them! To me no better gun in the world for upland hunting (or ducks for that matter!). Anyway, here's mine:

12b James Purdey, Best

Like I said, I LOVE SxS's. Some of the above have damascus bbls, which are quite lovely.

So....yours?

Best!

Greg

But....given that this is a pheasant HUNTING
Forum, the question which should be asked is not - who owns the largest number of most expensive guns, but who kills the most birds. I'll bet it's a guy who owns a old Model 12 or 31, and doesn't feel the need to impress anyone. Waaay, are you Jay Leno?

jnormanh - true this is a "hunting" forum, but this thread is in the "guns and ammo" section of the forum and I see nothing wrong with someone posting on their passion - even if it doesnt resonate with most of us on the site. Call me ignorant, but I don't know any of the gun brands on the posters extensive list. But it doesnt bother me either.

jnormanh is a social liberal, ridden with class envy. I shot the most pheasants last year and did it with side by sides and I am not apologizing for it. :rolleyes::thumbsup:

I did not like the finish on the Dickinson either. Their was one 20 ga at Cabela's in Mitchell that did have a satin finish. I would have liked to have it as my two twenties are 25 and 26 and I would like to try a 28".

Hey all, just a quick response. I do shoot all my guns, granted they may make it out only once or twice, but they get out. As to shooting birds, they are my hunting passion.

I keep a journal of each season, guns, birds killed etc. Last year was not the best year we had here, but I was able to kill over 50 roosters. All wild birds and no pay to hunt trips. Most of my trips consist of day outings around my part of the state.

If your interested, here's a thread on last years hunts (mine and many other guys as well):

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=345165&page=1

Call it bragging if you will, but a picture is worth a thousand words.

Thanks all for the great posts!

Best!

Greg

Gun collecting is a hobby of it's own and if you can and want a pile than you really should.

I do wonder how someone can possibly shoot 20+ shotguns well though.

Gun collecting is a hobby of it's own and if you can and want a pile than you really should.

I do wonder how someone can possibly shoot 20+ shotguns well though.

Thanks for the kind words! I guess the good Lord blessed me as I can shoot them all pretty well. As long as the LOP is not too short or long, I can adjust to the DAC, DAH etc. So I lucked out there.

I do enjoy taking each of them out, nice changes of pace and reliving someone else's past with their gun.

Thanks again!

Greg

I used to save for delightful doubles. The high grade English guns, I was afraid to take to the field, didn't shoot them well, same with alot high grade American guns. Always liked the side x sides, have a couple of L.C. Smith's, which fit me better than the others, sometimes sensationally if I don't think about it! Probably the raised rib. My girls shoot Ithaca flues 20 ga. Best shooters for me, O/U's, a Remington 32, and believe it or not a Savage/O/U 330! Mechanical triggers, lightning fast lock time, pattern where they are supposed to, easy to take care of, hunt in all kinds of weather, I wouldn't if I had the case-color guns, in the rain.

Oldandnew, I also owned a Savage 330 OU that I shot well. Always liked that sliding breech action. Those Finns build good guns.

Back