What Was The Funniest/Embarssing Pheasant Hunt.

bobeyerite

Tell us about that funny happening had in the field once upon a time.

Mine happened many years in Minnesota. I was hunting the Isanti area with my uncle. The area we were in had creek running down through it. There islands of cattails in the creek. The brittany I had a that time soon told us most of the birds were hiding on the islands. As it was a wet area anyway. I was wearing Rubber Barn Boots. I wadded the creek stepping on each island as I came to it. I stepped on this one island. A Rooster came straight up and hit me right on the chin. (I had stepped on his tail.) I lost my balance one foot up and one foot down. I went backwards right into the creek. I shot at bird from the hip and missed. My Uncle was laughing at me so hard he couldn't shoot. It took me a long time to live down getting cold-cocked by a rooster. That is the way my Uncle told it anyway........Bob

This past season was the funniest for me. Hunting with my dad, bro-in-law and his dad. Shot a bird that went down by a creek. Mt bro in-laws dad was going to go get it. It was like a scene out of a movie... He was leaning out to look in some low grass at the foot of the creek while holding onto a branch... the branch sloooooooooooowly broke and it was a slow motion comedy act as he fell in.

i've had 2 one was when i shot my first rooster and like an idiot , i ran to it and in the process tried to jump a 3 strand barb-wire fence and caught my back foot on a wire and face planted in the dirt ,dust flew and all my dad heard was a gun shot and looked over at me to see me falling and dust boiling up he ran over there thinking i had shot myself on accident after we both realized all was well we broke out into laughter for several minutes, the other one me and my boy were hunting with birds busting up all around us tried to jump a little ditch and landed on some ice both feet went straight up in the air just like the roosters were doing laid there with my dog and boy looking at me like what the hell were you thinking, so needless to no more jumping fences or ditches anymore for me:eek:

I do not have a good pheasant one yet!!!!! But during a goose hunt on the South Platte River, I dropped a big Ol Gander on a ice island, When I was running up to him I was just going to grab him and ring his neck when he stood up and came at me hissing and flapping. I panicked and tried to stop, only to slip and fall and slide directly into the goose, where he promptly beat the living hell out of me. Seemed like minutes before I got the upper hand and had bruises and welts all over my face. No more chasing, just shoot.:eek:

I did the just about the same thing Goose hunting with my uncle I was 14 he shot a nice goose I jumped out of the pit ran to it picked it up by the neck to show the bird off and it beat me three times both sides of my chest before I could drop him.

Pheasant trip was with my friends Short Hair I totally missed a bird that dog looked at me like I was some kind of fool and left for the truck. It would not hunt the rest of the day. Just stared at me.

This fall I met Dakota Zeb in the gas station so we could hunt together and I got there a little early and visited with the lady working there for a while. When George came in we introduced each other and he said " your zippers down". I knew that lady was paying way to much attention to me. LOL!

In January my cousin and I hunted Kansas. On day three I had to give my male springer Elmer a breather from hunting for the day due to bloody nads from 2 days of dragging them across ice and weeds.

Around noon we embarked on a field leaving Elmer in the truck to watch. Well he must have really had to go cuz he piled up some diarreah on the front seat. He then proceeded to step in it and run around the truck looking out every window. It was everywhere. Cloth seats.

We got back and made the discovery. We sat there dumbfounded on what to do. We ended up throwing the dogs into the back under the topper, putting garbage bags on the seats and driving into Hill City 20 miles away. We went to a car wash and power washed the seats.

After an hour or so of cleaning we hit the fields again. We pulled up to a spot and wanted to hit the ground running. I reached in the back seat and grabbed some shells out of an open box. I uncased my gun and started walking. I grabbed 2 shells out of my pocket, and put one in my mouth as I loaded the other.

I felt a little something extra on the shotgun shell with my tounge. I pulled it out of my mouth and looked at it. Sure enough, it was a nice dry piece of dung that had fell into the shell box...

Wow!!!! Not sure I would have shared that one. LOL:eek:

Foundered in Big Drift

After a 12" snow in NW KS, four of us were entereing our first field of the morning. I stepped into the snow in the bar ditch and sank to my thighs. My friends looked over at me and said, "There's a driveway right here (10 feet away)." It takes a while to struggle out of thigh-high snow and your face can be red from the exertion which overtakes the red from embarassment.

two years ago my lab got real birdy!He flushed hen after hen then he slowed down i was confused on how he was hunting because he gave the look like he knew one more bird was close! Then i took one more step and that was on the tail of a nice hardy Rooster that flew right into my butt :eek:

This is not a pheasant story but it's pretty funny anyway. Years ago we were hunting elk in Southwest Colorado. One of our group was a flat land whitetail deer hunter from Kansas. He shot a nice bull on the side of a very steep slope and the elk slid down the slope probably 30 yards before it hung up on a tree. It was so steep that he was unable to field dress it by himself so he found a couple of us and we went back to help. We had to tie the front legs and head uphill while he field dressed it. When he was finished the gut pile slid another 20+ yards down the side of the mountain it was that steep! We had the elk tied with it's head up the mountain and back end down laying on it's back when he pulled out this whitetail deer drag rope that goes over both shoulders. He tied this rope onto the antlers and told us to cut the elk loose. Both of us told him that was a bad idea that he could never control that much weight on that steep of a sidehill. He told us we were full of S&*t that he could handle it. We finally agreed to cut it loose and when we did, down the hill they went!!! First Don was on top and then the elk was on top and then Don again. They slid down the hill, through the gut pile and finally got hung up on a tree. When the whole thing stopped he was quick to slip out of the deer drag rope!!! I was in my early 20's at the time and we laughed so hard I thought I would fall down. Both of us had tears running down our cheeks and the more we laughed the madder he got. He was covered with dirt, blood, guts and whatever else he got into on his way down the mountain.
I realize now how seriously hurt he could have been but he just wouldn't listen to us when we told him that he couldn't handle that much weight!
Sorry to hijack the thread with this story but it was funny!!!

several years ago some friends and i bought a pheasant preseve hunt at a church auction. we were shooting released birds, they were good practice for the kids and young dogs. one of my friends jumped a bird and it landed in a tree and stared at him. he takes careful aim and misses. we all bust a gut laughing at him :p the bird was so dumb it didnt even fly so he shot again and got it. to this day we still tease him about the infamous limb chicken that he missed.

This one is not a pheasant story either, but it is one that includes birds & dogs:

A couple of years ago I was on a Sept teal hunt down on the TX rice prairie with a friend whose lab pup happened to be the direct progeny of my male & his dad's female.

The first morning we had specifically requested that none of the guides' dogs be brought afield, to ensure that both of ours got in plenty of retrieves without any interference or being reduced to having to mind their manners and watch while a bunch of wild, uncontrollable knuckleheads did all the retrieving (many "professional" TX coastal duck/goose guides' dogs are notorious for breaking, knocking over guns and diving over hunters & other assorted out-of-control behaviors)...On the first day we didn't shoot all that many ducks, but both of our dogs got in several retrieves each and honored very well. My dog made a spectacular 400-500 yard direct-beeline blind retrieve out in the middle of an all-the-same looking rice field that went on for miles - I only had to stop & lightly cast him twice. Everyone in the blind just sat with their jaw dropped & said practically in unison, "WOW - I don't care who you are, now that's impressive"!!! I was as proud as a peacock & pleased as punch (and you can already start to feel where this one is going)...

The next day we had a much larger party of 8 guys (two guides & 6 hunters including us) + 5 dogs - and we shot a lot more teal! There was considerably more action, commotion and general mayhem! Sure enough, the two guides' dogs which we had requested stay back the previous day were an absolute nightmare - running all over the place up & down thru the line of hunters & back and forth in front of our dogs, flaring incoming birds, chasing off into the distance underneath unshot birds & hogging every retrieve, and on top of any bird knocked down before it ever even hit the ground or water! When my poor dog finally got his opportunity, once again I proudly (Uh-Oh) sent him on another long water & land blind - but this time he wouldn't take a single cast, wouldn't even stop or so much as acknowledge my presence, ran right over the bird multiple times & then refused to pick it up, finally absolutely refusing to come back in! By this time the same guys that were so wowed the day before were all rolling on the ground with tears in their eyes! If only it had been a little later in the year, they could have called in a flock of geese with all the cackling going on!!! :D

Last edited:
This is not a pheasant story but it's pretty funny anyway. Years ago we were hunting elk in Southwest Colorado. One of our group was a flat land whitetail deer hunter from Kansas. He shot a nice bull on the side of a very steep slope and the elk slid down the slope probably 30 yards before it hung up on a tree. It was so steep that he was unable to field dress it by himself so he found a couple of us and we went back to help. We had to tie the front legs and head uphill while he field dressed it. When he was finished the gut pile slid another 20+ yards down the side of the mountain it was that steep! We had the elk tied with it's head up the mountain and back end down laying on it's back when he pulled out this whitetail deer drag rope that goes over both shoulders. He tied this rope onto the antlers and told us to cut the elk loose. Both of us told him that was a bad idea that he could never control that much weight on that steep of a sidehill. He told us we were full of S&*t that he could handle it. We finally agreed to cut it loose and when we did, down the hill they went!!! First Don was on top and then the elk was on top and then Don again. They slid down the hill, through the gut pile and finally got hung up on a tree. When the whole thing stopped he was quick to slip out of the deer drag rope!!! I was in my early 20's at the time and we laughed so hard I thought I would fall down. Both of us had tears running down our cheeks and the more we laughed the madder he got. He was covered with dirt, blood, guts and whatever else he got into on his way down the mountain.
I realize now how seriously hurt he could have been but he just wouldn't listen to us when we told him that he couldn't handle that much weight!
Sorry to hijack the thread with this story but it was funny!!!

Clearly a case of "pride goeth before the fall. Thanks for the laugh. Best hi-jacking I hvae ever witnessed.

during our annual opening day hunt we take several teenage girls and boys along and have a big meal in the parking lot. i bring a couple charcoal grills and a microwave along. i smoke pork loins, grill portabella mushrooms, hashbrowns and baked beans. well i have everything set up and charcoal ready to go. could not find any matchs or a lighter. finally had to pull a mcgivver friend and i unhooked the power invertor running the microwave,friend held up weber grill and i carefully arched cables to thow sparks on lighter fluid soaked charcoal. WHOMMMMMM. it worked. good thing he didnt have a beard. hook up microwave and finish cooking. it was a great meal. everyone takes nap and then decides to go back out. i tell them i will clean up and join them. they leave. when i get done cleaning up. truck wont start, dead battery:(:( cell phone was dead also. some how they always remember to bring up that story every year during our annual feast.

Last December I dropped two of my buddies off on one end of an extremely thick treeline and drove the truck down to the other end to block. The day before we put about 150 pheasants out of the same place. Sometime the day before the farmer stetched a single strand electric fence across the tire tracks from the day before. I didn't see the wire until it was too late and I snapped it with the truck. I was worried the cattle would get out before I found the farmer so I was forced to re-stretch and tie the live wire with nothing for protection but a thick pair of leather work gloves. Just about everytime I'd get enough force on the wire to get the ends to meet up I'd get a heck of a shock. My buddies howled and rolled for ten minutes as I struggled to get the ends twisted together. When the cocktails were flowing later that night there were numerous impressions of done of my facial expressions, mannerisms and choice of vocabulary as the electricity flowed through me while I attempted my feat of strength and jackassery.

Back