What trips do you have planned?

As we get closer to fall, I am sure everyone is starting to get the itch. What trips to do you have planned this year? I only have a trip to SD planned for the weekend of Nov 15th. I tend to plan trips a couple days in advance. Usually sleep in the truck if I can't find a cheap motel room. Might make a trip earlier in the season to SD, otherwise mainly stick to MN and IA.

Dove on 9-1. Maybe the NE opener. KS opener for sure. SD maybe later in season.

As we get closer to fall, I am sure everyone is starting to get the itch. What trips to do you have planned this year? I only have a trip to SD planned for the weekend of Nov 15th. I tend to plan trips a couple days in advance. Usually sleep in the truck if I can't find a cheap motel room. Might make a trip earlier in the season to SD, otherwise mainly stick to MN and IA.

Great time of the year:10sign::cheers:

Just returned from 10 days in Alaska—(great fishing year) —annual trip with great guys
Ontario -next week with son-brother-nephew for a few days of walleyes
Probably-up to Saskatchewan for ducks geese in Oct.
Then to S.D. for hunting/guiding for opener and into late Nov.-early Dec.
Dog training and prep. Until then

The "big one" is SD the 1st weekend in Dec. I'm sure I'll make it back home to NE a couple of times, definitely looking at the possibility of NE in Jan for a long weekend of ducks and pheasants

Counting the days to November 6 when we leave for SD for 10 days. Was supposed to go to Canada for waterfowl but schedule filled so sounds like will head to Arkansas in December or January instead.

I plan to do my normal hunting here in South Dakota and Minnesota until the end of November. Then take an extended trip to our winter home in Arizona. My plan upon leaving SD is to hunt a few days in NW North Dakota or NE Montana, then head to Idaho where I have a guy that will take me out for a few days. Once in Arizona I'll try to get some quail hunting in.

Plan on taking a 2 week trip with my son spending on week in SD and the other in Nebraska. Just needing to lock in the dates.

Plan on taking a 2 week trip with my son spending on week in SD and the other in Nebraska. Just needing to lock in the dates.

Let me know when you lock in your SD dates.

Devils lake NR duck opener- with my 6 year old son, 12 year old lab and 1.5 year old lab.
back to Devils Lake Oct 24-28th for ducks -
South dakota roosters 28-30
South Dakota roosters nov 25-27
South Dakota roosters dec5-8
hoping to get back out to SD for the last day of the season.

plus hunting roosters and geese around Rochester.

the 12 year old lab will most likely only hunt once this year. pretty bad arthritis in back legs and I think she may have tore a mcl 4 months ago while doing hot laps with the other pup. with her being 12 and already taking her 2 weeks to recover from her trip last december to sodak her number of hunts are getting fewer and fewer. I'll take her out still around Rochester on the family farm where we manage a few late season birds.

and chasing down the big buck with bow

Last edited:
No big trips planned. Just the usual. Stay around home all fall & try to get out after 'em at least 20 times; hopefully more like 25. What with youth weekend, residents-only weekend, & the rest of October, puppy Ace should have them all figured out by Nov. 1. Not that I have high expectations or anything. :rolleyes:

Devils lake NR duck opener- with my 6 year old son, 12 year old lab and 1.5 year old lab.
back to Devils Lake Oct 24-28th for ducks -
South dakota roosters 28-30
South Dakota roosters nov 25-27
South Dakota roosters dec5-8
hoping to get back out to SD for the last day of the season.

plus hunting roosters and geese around Rochester.

the 12 year old lab will most likely only hunt once this year. pretty bad arthritis in back legs and I think she may have tore a mcl 4 months ago while doing hot laps with the other pup. with her being 12 and already taking her 2 weeks to recover from her trip last december to sodak her number of hunts are getting fewer and fewer. I'll take her out still around Rochester on the family farm where we manage a few late season birds.

and chasing down the big buck with bow

Sounds awesome! I wish I would have had a 12th year with my BLM Carver; but that was not to be. Take care of your old girl, let her hunt as much as she can!

:cheers:

MN opener, and weekend hunts, 2 trips to SD and IA for the opener and then multiple day trips to IA throughout the season.

I’m going to New Mexico for Duskys Sept 1. May go Kansas or Nebraska prairie chickens in late sept. I’m planning something oct 17 haven’t decided on that yet I only have 3 -4 days and live in Oklahoma. I’d love to go to Montana but that’d be a stretch I think time wise. In November I’ll make multiple trips to Kansas for pheasants. Then plenty of home state quail.

South Dakota this fall for the first time. Dogless, unfortunately. Will have pup shortly after returning (hopefully). Will probably use this year to educate myself for the future, but still excited.

I have a new english setter pup that has been working really well this summer and I can’t wait to get him some wild bird contact. First trip is to Michigan the 2nd weekend of October for grouse and woodcock. Some desperate attempts at some pheasants in NW Indiana and quail in SW Indiana in November. Then our annual trip to Kansas in early December and maybe a late season weekend trip to Iowa. After all seasons have passed we always take a group of guys from church out in February to a local preserve. Great way to recruit new hunters.

I have a new english setter pup that has been working really well this summer and I can’t wait to get him some wild bird contact. First trip is to Michigan the 2nd weekend of October for grouse and woodcock. Some desperate attempts at some pheasants in NW Indiana and quail in SW Indiana in November. Then our annual trip to Kansas in early December and maybe a late season weekend trip to Iowa. After all seasons have passed we always take a group of guys from church out in February to a local preserve. Great way to recruit new hunters.

Nebraska........ October opener for 5 days.
Nebraska/Kansas.....November for 5 days.
Kansas...................November for 5 days.
Kansas/Nebraska.... November for 5 days.
Kansas/Nebraska.... December for 5 days.
Kansas.................. December for 5 days.
Kansas/Nebraska....... January for 5 days.
Kansas..................... January for 5 days.

40 days, should be enough for my pup!

Back