What is the best pair of boots you ever owned for hunting pheasants?

I’ve gradually gotten to the point of wearing my muck “chore cool” boots for everything…put 10+ miles a day on them routinely…I love slipping in and out of them with no lacing. I put orthotic arch supports in them…good heel support…run up and down the hill country for sharpies in MT and ND…love my Irish setter havocs, but I just always default to the mucks…

I’ve gradually gotten to the point of wearing my muck “chore cool” boots for everything…put 10+ miles a day on them routinely…I love slipping in and out of them with no lacing. I put orthotic arch supports in them…good heel support…run up and down the hill country for sharpies in MT and ND…love my Irish setter havocs, but I just always default to the mucks…
Lots of years I do the same with my Muck Chores. Very nice for when you unexpectedly come across some water. This year with the lack of water in most places, I have not worn mine yet.

I just got a pair of Danner Alsea yesterday. I will alternate this year with my 5 y/o Danner Pronghorns. Trying to cut down the foot fatigue. I wore them around for a few hours yesterday and so far there arent any pinch points which is good. Pretty light weight as well. Both types are un-insulated.
So far so good with my new Danners. Very comfy and waterproof ...so far.. I like alternating back and forth on multi day hunts.
I admit Ive never really had any foot issues like some folks have. Im lucky

I use the LL Bean upland boots. Latest pair is the BOA system. Broke in fit out of the box, great customer support. They do wear fairly quick, but seems the other brands I have worn do as well. Hunt mostly CRP.

Really dig the BOA system.
I use those Maine hunting boots.Great boots.

I ordered a pair of Thorogood 1957 8" waterproof boots a few weeks back. I used my boot allowance from work, so I had to get a composite toe. My feet were a little sore after the first couple of walks to break them in, but since that initial break in my feet have felt great. I've got 8 or 9 half day hunts in already, and I think I'm really going to love these boots.

I’m sold on Red Head boots. I got a pair of Kosoha and Expeditions. Both are under a $100. The break in time is so minimal before you go on that 12 mile hunt. My last pair I walked in so much grass and brush it just wore the outsides completely down. I came to the conclusion that Setters or Danners which are double the money and seem to be made out of same materials would not last twice as long. Are they throw away boots? Yes, but they break in so fast if I can get two to three years outta them I’m happy. I wish I could experiment with a nice pair of those $400 boots and see if they can really stand up to the abuse. I just don’t see them lasting 4 times as long. For work I wear Thorgood water proofs. I’m hesitant to wear them hunting for fear the grass would really destroy the leather. They would still last but the looks would really take a beating.

I just put about 10 miles a day for a couple days, over the NW Kansas hunting fields, on my brand new Crispi Idaho GTX II and they were absolutely incredible. I didn’t break them in any more than wearing around the house a few times.

I have used Timberland Hikers 8" for many years. Lightest boot I found. You do have to waterproof them but no biggie. PM me for more info on waterproofing them.

boot.jpg

Just finished season 11 - Russell Premium Bird shooters.
New Obenhauf's Heavy Duty application this past weekend.

There is one thing I do not like about them. The laces are stretchy. Going to have to see if my wife will approve the purchase of replacements.

These boots are on sale at Scheels right now. Muck style designed to walk long distances in

Attachments

• 1ACE938E-F77D-4E5D-B106-C1FC6D83A00E.jpeg
    1ACE938E-F77D-4E5D-B106-C1FC6D83A00E.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
Ironically, just this past week i decided i need to get some boots, so I started to do some research, and was overwhelmed with whats out there. Then i found this post & figured i could come up with an answer. As an earlier poster noted, you need a scorecard as there appears to be personal favorites with no clear consensus. During my researches, i at least discovered that practically all of these boots are imported, oh with fancy colloquial names like "irish setter" etc, but the majority of these companies no longer manufacture here. In this blog that fact was barely mentioned and it seems that everyone is willing to shell out $250-500 for a pair of BOOTS (?) I can't get over the fact that some little vietnamese woman is getting .85c/hr to make these while an "american" company is charging $250 or higher for these things. The owners of these companies are laughing all the way to the bank. Are these imported boots THAT good that we can't find something equal made here? I wonder if the starting thread said NEED TO PURCHASE BOOTS MADE IN USA. How about confining reviews to only Chippewa, Rocky, LL Bean, Russell Moccasin Co., White’s Boots, and Schnee’s Boots. Can anyone recommend one from these as an upland hunting boot?

Ironically, just this past week i decided i need to get some boots, so I started to do some research, and was overwhelmed with whats out there. Then i found this post & figured i could come up with an answer. As an earlier poster noted, you need a scorecard as there appears to be personal favorites with no clear consensus. During my researches, i at least discovered that practically all of these boots are imported, oh with fancy colloquial names like "irish setter" etc, but the majority of these companies no longer manufacture here. In this blog that fact was barely mentioned and it seems that everyone is willing to shell out $250-500 for a pair of BOOTS (?) I can't get over the fact that some little vietnamese woman is getting .85c/hr to make these while an "american" company is charging $250 or higher for these things. The owners of these companies are laughing all the way to the bank. Are these imported boots THAT good that we can't find something equal made here? I wonder if the starting thread said NEED TO PURCHASE BOOTS MADE IN USA. How about confining reviews to only Chippewa, Rocky, LL Bean, Russell Moccasin Co., White’s Boots, and Schnee’s Boots. Can anyone recommend one from these as an upland hunting boot?
I like my Italian made Meindls just fine

I have to say Kenetrek. I have many boots. If they fit they are wonderful, if they don't do not buy.
We all have different feet and they have to be comfortable, otherwise our bodies are not! From what I
know Schnee's are great as well. I also have a pair of Lathrup and Son's. They are nice , a 9 on the
scale but Kenetreks are 10 pus.

In my outdoor closet I see Russells and Schnees. One pair cannot do it all. I love putting them on and after a long day, enjoy taking them off. Take care of them and they will take you a long way. Enjoy

Back