What do you feed your Hunting Dog

Wisconsin BH

I was just wondering what you folks feed your Hunting Dogs? I am leaning towards Purina Pro Plan Sport but I would like to know if there is anything better. I know that this may be somewhat subjective but I want my new dog to live the best and healthiest life possible and have the proper fuel for all the work she will be doing. Thanks in advance for the help!

That is a high quality brand of dry dog food you can't go wrong with. Purina One Smartblend is also pretty good and widely available.
Agree. There's a bazillion dog food threads I'm sure if you search.
I took my old guy in to the vet a couple of days ago. He had some symptoms that scare me and so I ran him in. He's ok, but the vet listened to his heart and said basically he has arrhythmia. He's 13, there's not much we can do at this point. Anyways, first question she asked was if he was on grain free. (He's not). Just keep that in mind - grain free is linked to DCM and heart issues so be wary.

If you do some searching on this site you will find a lot of threads about dog food and lots of different opinions. Not all dog foods work the best for every dog. So you may have to see what your dog does best on. However, starting with ProPlan Sport you can't go wrong. FYI, they make PP Sport in two formulas. One with 30% protein and 20% fat and the other one was 26/16 but is now 27/17. Sometimes 30/20 is a little hot for some dogs.

Pro Plan Sport 30/20.
Seems like Ace (who will be 2 in a week) eats an awful lot though, honestly. And I wouldn't call him terribly active right now.
He weighs 41-42 pounds & eats a little over 3 cups a day. Otherwise he'll lose weight, & he's already pretty trim. Bag suggests 2 cups.
During the season, he was eating about 4.5 cups a day, hunting 2 days a week.
Frankly, I'd be concerned, but the vet (who I trust VERY much) says he looks fantastic & if it ain't broke....

Pro Plan Sport here also both dogs stay in great shape with it. We cut back some when its not hunting season, both dogs go between 50-55 lbs.

Victor Professional in off-season and Victor Hi-Pro Plus in season. Great food. Shiny coats and less stool. Made in Mount Pleasant, Texas. I buy from Chewy but can get it at Big R stores. The Fed-Ex driver delivers the package inside my screened in patio. He get's tipped with a bag of home made beef jerky every once in awhile.

Victor Professional in off-season and Victor Hi-Pro Plus in season. Great food. Shiny coats and less stool. Made in Mount Pleasant, Texas. I buy threw Chewy but can get it at Big R stores.
The Breeder is feeding her the Hi-Pro Plus so I picked up a 15lb bag. I was going to transition to Purina Pro Plan Sport but I will see how she does on this. It is readily available at out local Farm and Fleet Store in Sturtevant, WI.

I feed Pro Plan 30/20 2.5 cups for a 57 lb female and 4 cups for a young 65 lb male. Personally I like Eukanuba better and find I get better coats with it but with another price increase from Chewy's I switched back to pro plan. Feed Euk for many many years.

PPP shredded chicken rice. I think its a 26/16 feed. I played the food merry go round too many times. No issues=no interest in changing

My first V got Science Diet, on the recommendation of her breeder. My vet suggested the large breed version. The current V gets PP Focus Large Breed. The dog I picked up yesterday will get PP Focus Large Breed.

Also a Purina Pro Plan sport guy. I feed mine the 30/20 blend leading up to and during hunting season. I scale back to the non high fat/protein about a month after hunting season ends. However last few years I've transitioned to Diamond in the off season. It's cheaper and ingredients and fat/protein wise, it's very similar to Pro Plan.

My GSP got Country Vet for the first 12 plus years of his life. Used to wean him off the maintenance formula over to the Hi Pro before season and then back off it after season. My vet told me to not do that a couple years back. Now the elevator changed brands to Red Fannel? He likes it, but he is a touch heavier than normal, but he is also about 13 and not as active, except in season, then he hunts like a young dog. I have been told for a long time he has a heart murmur...seems to have zero affect on his stamina....real doubt if the food had anything to do with it.

Purina Pro Plan is most popular choice. Purina also has the largest marketing company as well.

American Natural Premium and Fromm are both good dog foods made in WI. Mostly available at local feed stores.

Research ingredients and make informed decision. Good luck!

I've Fed Kinetic 30k formula for the past 7 years.

My 2 Labs get the 30/20 Pro Plan Performance (Now Sport?) from October 1 through January, then they get Purina One. The Pro Plan seems to agree with them, and I seem to be cleaning up fewer "messes" when they're on it. That makes my wife happier.

Purina Pro Plan is most popular choice. Purina also has the largest marketing company as well.

American Natural Premium and Fromm are both good dog foods made in WI. Mostly available at local feed stores.

Research ingredients and make informed decision. Good luck!
Can agree with the Fromm products, had a job interview with them a few years back and had a tour of the plant with the plant manager, the logistics didn't work out for me since they were in the process of building a new plant at the time and the travel time was going to be to excessive for me, first rate operation.

Back