what are you feeding your dog

Fromms. I order it online, free shipping and better prices than anywhere I can find it locally. UPS guy takes it to my garage too.

Dog gets the Classic in the off season then in season their Surf and Turf which is 30/19.

I'll share my endeavor into feeding.

I bought a 2 year old . The dog had severe allergies. Incessant itching, loss of hair, sores from chewing, etc..

My city dwelling, female, liberal, high priced, (and very, very good) veterinarian of the formerly wealthy, suggested it was the food, the hormones in the chicken of my choice of Purina Pro Plan Performance. I read all I could find and concluded that a minimum of a month, preferably longer, was required to do a test to identify a food allergy. I switched her to the lab's food, lamb based, no chicken. Did that for a few months, no change.

Next, the vet suggested it was the grain. Grain is a big target of the goochi designer dog foods recently. Well, I had a freezer full of game birds that needed eating faster than I could eat them. So, I started cooking for the dog. Wild and pen pheasant and chukar. Cooked rice, carrots and some other stuff. Our kitchen looked like a restaurant kitchen. The fridge was packed with containers of meals. I did that for a couple months. I'd beg birds from friends on hunts, in the name of finding out what was wrong with my dog. I got good cooperation, mainly because people shot a lot of birds over my dog.

All the while, we were trying various suggested antihistimines, etc. In the end, none of it mattered.

Fortunately, a new drug came along that was effective, Apoquel. Like a miracle drug for my dog. Unfortunately, it's been hard to get or impossible to get at times. The availability has gotten better. Still expensive. Also, technology for testing dogs has improved to where a blood test will identify allergies and antigen serums can be developed to target the allergens. We now do both Apoquel and the serum injections and the dog has a brighter and more comfortable life.

Grains or added chicken hormones were not identified as an allergen to my dog.

Last edited:
Feed for Your Gun dog

Just joined this site, so give some slack for late entry. I've owned ESS's all my life & I too went through the dog food ritual. Switched a few years back to Diamond Naturals Extreme Athlete, 32% Protein & 25% Fat. Contains No Corn, Wheat or Soy. Calorie content is 4,710 kcal/kg (470 kcal/cup) Calculated Metabolizable Energy. For those interested in any brand & independent ratings, try searching Dog Food Adviser on the web. RC

For those interested in any brand & independent ratings, try searching Dog Food Adviser on the web. RC

Sorry, I don't put too much stock in those kinds of web sites. What works for one dog may be completely the opposite for another. Plus they generally seem to give mediocre reviews to some brands and formulas that are proven and have worked for performance dogs for years. Maybe not Dog Food adviser specifically, but others certainly seem that way. Take those websites with a grain of salt....

Last edited:
I use Diamond High protein. With three mouths to feed, it is economical and seems to keep the dogs in good shape.

Starting to get into hot dogs. One when we wake up, one for lunch. Dry for dinner.

I suggest anyone looking into what to feed their dogs & why, to look @ Dog Food Adviser. Your be surprised what the real value is. As stated, it advises. You make your own choice on what to feed your dog. Ratings are compiled by total analysis of each component and it's nutritional make-up of each component, etc., above & beyond what's printed on the bag from the manufacturer. It's your money.

Dog food

I feed my GSP Royan Canin Maxi Adult. It seems to be good food and he is healthy. I get it from my local vet in a small town. I used to Kent in the green bag, it was great for awhile and then my dog started to have problems.

fed pro plan for many years but their quality seemed to keep falling so after extensive research I feed nutri-source grain free chicken. I think its the best kibble available.

Kent Hi Pro 27 to both our labs and when our female is pregnant and / or nursing we feed her Kent Puppy Prime. We also give them one Pet Tab plus AF vitamin - mineral supplement every day and have since they were 7 week old pups.

Last edited:
Back