what are you feeding your dog

Remtech

So now that the season is close good dog nutrition is important. My story starts with noticing that my dog had a lack of energy, a dry flakey coat, and she was not holding her shape. After taking to several vets I have found that it is important to have a dog food that is grain free, high protein they also recommend a brand that has different flavors because each flavor has different vitamins. One vet said look if you would only eat red meat you would lack other important vitamins. So then I went looking for an affordable dog food and that took some times and what I found is called taste of the wild. This food is grain free higher protein and has several flavors such as waterfowl, pacific wild salmon,lamb, wild boar, buffalo. Now let me say WOW how I can see a difference my dogs coat Is better she has a way better build and her energy level is back to when she was a puppy. I get comments from people that seen my dog before the food change and after the food change. And they all have said things your dog s coat looks really good and your dog looks buff. I love it.

Remtech

Purina One for 16 years. It's 26/16. Vets always compliment the good health of my dogs and their stools are perfect. Also, you can buy Purina One in any grocery store or WalMart so you never will have to unintentionally switch food on your dog or waste time, gas, and money trying to find some brand. Purina One comes in three varieties.

How many different brands and formulas of dog food are there? That's probably how many different answers you will get to this question. Glad you found a food that works well for your dog. That's the bottom line, what works for YOUR dog. Because it works for my dog doesn't mean it will be good for yours. Sorry, but the dog food topic has been beat to death on this site.

How many different brands and formulas of dog food are there? That's probably how many different answers you will get to this question. Glad you found a food that works well for your dog. That's the bottom line, what works for YOUR dog. Because it works for my dog doesn't mean it will be good for yours. Sorry, but the dog food topic has been beat to death on this site.

Amen!

To the OP... Do your own research too. "Big city vets" tend to try to sell you on stuff. I'm talking about places like Banfield. I will never go to a place like that again.

Those of you that knock threads "that have been bashed to death" need to realize that some of you have been around a lot longer than others.

When new people come to these sites and others say "well we talk about that subject five years ago" ... the newbies simply stop posting and / or not returning.

There seems to be a general deterioration of hunting forum participation.

Maybe a better answer is to post of a few links to prior threads or provide a search strategy. Just say'n

Amen!

To the OP... Do your own research too. "Big city vets" tend to try to sell you on stuff. I'm talking about places like Banfield. I will never go to a place like that again.

Maybe part of his research strategy is to ask for ideas and comments on hunting forums.

I was just posting an experence that I went through and some others I know and I was not trying to push any type of food on anyone and from what I learned I agree not one think works for all thank you for listening to stories.

Remtech

Maybe part of his research strategy is to ask for ideas and comments on hunting forums.

I hear ya... But I don't believe the OP asked for ideas, rather just shared an experience. Maybe I shouldn't have shared unsolicited advice.

Also, let me be clear about my "amen" comment. I agree that you'll get a different answer from nearly everyone.

There are very good Premium dog foods out there. They all good food. They are expensive.
I remember buying a book on dog nutrition. It explained alot. I chose based on what I learned. Also tried a couple different ones.
I'm glad you found one you really like.

One thing that book taught me. These discount foods. They are cheaper than what it costs to take a bag and put it on a pallet and ship it to the store. Think about it when you think you're getting a good deal.
Also there is no reason for a dog to have gas. That is bad food. Change the dog's food.

As far as food these days, I have had some trouble. I had been on diamond naturals for several years. It was awesome. 30-20. They last fall switched the formula to this new wave berry junk for market purpose. Why? has to be market related. The food used to fly off the shelf at a great price. Loads of folks I know were on it. The new stuf was weak in protein and lacks muscle building quality. Dogs quickly ran out of steam, had poor coats coming and they raised the price. Now everyone I know is off of it on to various other foods. I gave it an honest chance, and just a couple months ago switched to Exceed from sams club. Also a 30-20 product at a great price. One gal I train with used it for 15 years and still does. One issue in all those years with a moldy bag. And I gotta say, so far so good. Coats are getting better, stools are fine, and endurance is back up. I plan to try it through this hunting/trial season. So far so good, got some ribbons added to the pile and all seems to be well again.:D Finding a good food that works for all your dogs is a huge challenge at a decent price. Just hoping Sams now does not screw with this new product LOL.

Hey Ken, when I went to pick up a training pheasant at the game farm, they said they were hosting ESS field trials. I was there at the end of the amateur division and was told the professionals were to run the next day.

Were you down at Oasis near New Glarus, WI?

I waved, but you probably didn't see me. :D

Purina Pro Plan Performance

Not anywhere near the cheapest, but I've had no issues with it in well over a decade.

A little humor...

At the checkout counter. People have come up behind me with foods like Alpo. I get all excited and tell them: That's my favorite! ... Then tell the checkout girl that the steak is for the dog.

Hey Ken, when I went to pick up a training pheasant at the game farm, they said they were hosting ESS field trials. I was there at the end of the amateur division and was told the professionals were to run the next day.

Were you down at Oasis near New Glarus, WI?

I waved, but you probably didn't see me. :D

Yep, I was. I gunned the open and ran the AM that day. I got 2nd with the Odie boy in the AM. And 1st and 2nd with Hardy and Boucher in the pups.:D I will be back there for round 2 in a few weeks.

I feed mine mostly dog food with the occasional table scrap thrown in.:thumbsup:

I have tried a variety of food but in the end, I have found Purina Pro plan works as well as anything for my dogs.

Back