What are you doing to get ready for the upcoming season?

I’ve been mounting my gun 10 times a day for about a month now . Figure I’ll have about a thousand reps in by the time hunting season rolls around.
Breaking in new pack and boots.
Been trying to extend one of my dogs marking with a dummy launcher.
They’ll start swimming more and I walking more when it stops raining and the river cleans up a little bit.
I don't need to do any of that. We are both top notch at all times.

I took my boots to the cobbler yesterday and asked him to resole them again. The bottoms are worn smooth by my walking on concrete when I walk the dog to the park. I also asked him to shine them up using his buffer wheel, much easier than me doing it. When that is done, he is going to add another coat of liquid silicone.

What are you doing to get ready for the upcoming season? So far I’ve purchased a new pair of boots and working on getting them broken in. Started to review the ammo supply. Shopping for a different over/under because…… well because. Added another black lab to the pack last spring as one can never have too many hunting companions. This little fire breather will not only be a great hunting partner but should be a fun one to run derbies after the hunting season ends.
So what are you doing to get ready for the season?
Well, I've been walking the dogs to get them back into shape and me for that matter. I've also been trying to get everything purchased that Im going to need for this seasonal trip we take every year to the Dakotas. I've got to have a new kennel cover this year, some shells, some new boots and now possibly some new tires for my truck since one of them had to get a nail in it. That's life I guess. Good luck out there everybody and be safe.

Walking the dog more often now that the temps have cooled off.

Spent half a day scouting and asking for permission to hunt this upcoming season last weekend.

Truck needs a new windshield thanks to a F150 driving around KC with rocks in the back of his trailer. Will put on new wiper blades and replacing the stock tires with Falken Wildpeaks in the next few weeks. Probably get the oil changed and the brakes checked too.

Making my annual trip to the beach in SC on Friday. Will take daily long walks in sand and do some stair loops. I am going elk hunting in October, so I need to clean the rifle, reload, shoot and pull my equipment together when I get back. Going to take a week off after elk hunting and then load the truck up for bird hunting the rest of the year.

Truck needs a new windshield thanks to a F150 driving around KC with rocks in the back of his trailer. Will put on new wiper blades and replacing the stock tires with Falken Wildpeaks in the next few weeks. Probably get the oil changed and the brakes checked too.

Making my annual trip to the beach in SC on Friday. Will take daily long walks in sand and do some stair loops. I am going elk hunting in October, so I need to clean the rifle, reload, shoot and pull my equipment together when I get back. Going to take a week off after elk hunting and then load the truck up for bird hunting the rest of the year.
I think every truck in KC has rocks in the back of it. I have gotten a couple knocked out myself.

Walking the dog more often now that the temps have cooled off.

Spent half a day scouting and asking for permission to hunt this upcoming season last weekend.
When talking to property owners, what was the percentage of contacts vis a vis asking for new permission or re-upping an old permission you have had in the past?

When talking to property owners, what was the percentage of contacts vis a vis asking for new permission or re-upping an old permission you have had in the past?
I was able to gain permission at 2 new locations. The other ones I have hunted at in the past. I ask permission every year at all of the same spots but I'm always looking for new ground too because occasionally I do lose permission at spots, like if someone moves and a new person doesn't grant it.

I may not hunt all of them. It depends on how much snow we get and when the corn is harvested, etc. Its pretty useless to hunt land right next to a sea of corn, and thinner habitat isn't worth hunting when we get deeper snow in December.

Quite often, I have to make multiple trips to seek permission too because someone isn't home when I stop by. I lucked out this time. Every place I stopped at had someone at home.

So the last few years I have allowed my weight and lack of exercise get out of hand. I was miserable in the field last year and really was questioning if I would go on long trips anymore. About 2 months ago I decided I didn’t want to go out that way. I am now at the gym 5 days a week at 5am. Cut out bread products and refined sugar. Now while still not at MR universe level, I am down 30 lbs and feel pretty darn good. I have to keep up with this 18 month old fireball dog.

So the last few years I have allowed my weight and lack of exercise get out of hand. I was miserable in the field last year and really was questioning if I would go on long trips anymore. About 2 months ago I decided I didn’t want to go out that way. I am now at the gym 5 days a week at 5am. Cut out bread products and refined sugar. Now while still not at MR universe level, I am down 30 lbs and feel pretty darn good. I have to keep up with this 18 month old fireball dog.
That’s fantastic Tom. Great job!

Good on you. I need to be 30 pounds down also.

Back