Went to the Darkside

carptom1

So I grew up with English Pointers as my dad raised, trained and hunted them. We always had four or five and often had puppies. I too hunted with them till I was near 30 when I started going to South Dakota and hunted with some Labs that were awesome. Honestly being from Kansas I had only hunted with the occasional ice cream eating couch dwelling lab and never really thought of them as a good hunting dog. Well after owning several the last 25+ years, I realized from the right stock they could be pheasant machines and perfectly suited to the terrain I hunted up north. My current dog, although now a couch dweller at 13+, was a meat hunters dream. Not going to win any ribbons, but one of the best flushing labs I ever hunted with. All heart and no quit. So I needed a new dog. On a whim I decided to go back to a pointing breed after talking to a friend that has a couple Pudelpointers. ( sorry Gatzby I promise I won’t talk about blood trailing 😀). This is Raven a ten week bundle of puppy. It has been awhile since I had a puppy and it is wearing me out a bit

Attachments

• 37F13FCF-1BEE-4445-80B1-39F11192D761.jpeg
    37F13FCF-1BEE-4445-80B1-39F11192D761.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 59
  • 97339AD6-D54A-4574-8172-F9C7D8643D37.jpeg
    97339AD6-D54A-4574-8172-F9C7D8643D37.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 61
  • 84803FA7-FD78-4A41-ACCC-665BCE05240A.jpeg
    84803FA7-FD78-4A41-ACCC-665BCE05240A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
Congratulations Tom..
Great friend at the lodge has one..
great little dog…
but..the burrs are a magnet
good Luck and have fun..great looking little pup😄

Tom hope to see you and Patrick up north on a reunion trip with the pup!
We need to do it. I didn’t hunt at all last year and really missed it. Between my wife’s hip replacement and no dog, it just never materialized. I have big plans this season to head north at least a couple of times.

Congratulations Tom..
Great friend at the lodge has one..
great little dog…
but..the burrs are a magnet
good Luck and have fun..great looking little pup😄
Yes that’s something I have never needed to worry about with labs. The lower shedding in the house is a plus to my wife

So I grew up with English Pointers as my dad raised, trained and hunted them. We always had four or five and often had puppies. I too hunted with them till I was near 30 when I started going to South Dakota and hunted with some Labs that were awesome. Honestly being from Kansas I had only hunted with the occasional ice cream eating couch dwelling lab and never really thought of them as a good hunting dog. Well after owning several the last 25+ years, I realized from the right stock they could be pheasant machines and perfectly suited to the terrain I hunted up north. My current dog, although now a couch dweller at 13+, was a meat hunters dream. Not going to win any ribbons, but one of the best flushing labs I ever hunted with. All heart and no quit. So I needed a new dog. On a whim I decided to go back to a pointing breed after talking to a friend that has a couple Pudelpointers. ( sorry Gatzby I promise I won’t talk about blood trailing 😀). This is Raven a ten week bundle of puppy. It has been awhile since I had a puppy and it is wearing me out a bit
That's an awfully cute puppy! How big do you expect him to get?

Right behind you Carptom, pick up my pudelpointer in 2 weeks… can’t wait!

Great looking pup. I just met my first Pudelpointer in person out hunting this past season. She was with a friend of a friend and he had a GSP. also. We only did a couple of fields with them and as usual the birds in eastern CO were scarce so I didn't get to see her do much other than going through the motion.

I guess I'll have to change my screen name in 3 weeks as I'll be picking up a new yellow lab pup out of Bearpoint Kennel in Calhan, CO. My older lab Parker (11) retired prior to this past season due to hind end issues. My "younger" lab Brady is now 8 so it was time to think about a new pup even though that meant we'd be a 3 dog family for some time. Does that make me a Trey of Labs? The thought of going through puppyhood after 8 years is a little daunting.

Great looking pup. If you get the right Lab, they can be a pheasant pointing machine. Mine just turned two and is an amazing gun dog.

Attachments

• CC4E179B-A42D-43A6-A984-C086950630D1.jpeg
    CC4E179B-A42D-43A6-A984-C086950630D1.jpeg
    619.2 KB · Views: 5
  • 572912DD-3485-4631-AA4B-E51FFB8109C5.jpeg
    572912DD-3485-4631-AA4B-E51FFB8109C5.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 5
  • 00757F36-04DD-423C-83E5-382404035612.jpeg
    00757F36-04DD-423C-83E5-382404035612.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 5
She is getting big already. Ton of energy and personality. My daughter was home for spring break and took this picture in the front yard. 12 weeks today.

Attachments

• 392E1B2D-A182-42D8-9426-E2DC8DA6BF3C.jpeg
    392E1B2D-A182-42D8-9426-E2DC8DA6BF3C.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 12
She's going to be perfect for you.

You already made most of the mistakes we all make, and you have firm vision of what you expect.

She will be happy to oblige you.

:D

Back