Very important question

wlffmnnn

Ok I am getting ready to leave for SD in a couple of days and I have a silly question. Are you only allowed to kill 15 birds per trip, period? The reason I ask is I bought my license this evening and had to buy it in 2, 5 day increments. Do the regs mean a total of 15 total or 15 per 5 days of my license? Thanks for the help.

You can have 15 birds in your possession after 5 days of hunting. Anything after that is over your possession limit. It does not matter if you hunt 5 days or 50 you can only have 15 birds in your possession. In order to shoot more you will have to eat your way down. So unless you eat the first 15 birds after the first 5 days of hunting you can not shoot anymore. Welcome to my constant delima.

Last edited:
you can always hunt 5 days, kill a limit of 15 and send them home via ups as long as it has the proper info on the shipping container than hunt an additional 5 days. I think this is correct, if not I know our frinds here will correct me. You know it is great being a member of this brotherhood of phez hunters. Just like my brother, you guys are always willing to help a guy out especially a new guy at our sport. God bless you all, and I hope you all get a new gun and under the tree a new pup ,, who of course has just piddled on your wifes newcarpet. :) ::cheers

you can always hunt 5 days, kill a limit of 15 and send them home via ups as long as it has the proper info on the shipping container than hunt an additional 5 days. I think this is correct, if not I know our frinds here will correct me. You know it is great being a member of this brotherhood of phez hunters. Just like my brother, you guys are always willing to help a guy out especially a new guy at our sport. God bless you all, and I hope you all get a new gun and under the tree a new pup ,, who of course has just piddled on your wifes newcarpet. :) ::cheers

Then when he got home he would have more than 15 in possession and that would be illegal. You can only have 15 birds total no matter how many days you hunt or where you ship them.

You can have 15 birds in your possession after 5 days of hunting. Anything after that is over your possession limit. Welcome to my constant delima.
And then there's ND, where the NR license is allocated in two 7 day periods and the possession limit is 12.

I hunted ND this year, as well as Mn...so, right there I can have an extra 21 birds in my possession, plus my 15 from SD...of course, all that assumes that one actually cares about the 15 bird possession "rule" when they are back in their own home, in their home state...I don't typically have more than 15 birds in my possession, as I give lots of them away, but that rule wouldn't stop me...like I said, I wouldn't have to worry until I was at 37 anyway....FWIW

If you have Licenses in more then one state. You can have a possession limit for each state under each states possession limit. Totaling not more then the combines possession limit from your combined state Licenses.

I have Minnesota License and South Dakota License. This would apply in your home freezer where you live.

Otherwise, you are limited to the 15 birds by law in South Dakota

The only way you can avoid the possession limt, is to hunt a preserve. In some of those, there is no limits as long as you have the cash I'm told. I wounder how that works if stopped in a game check?

Last edited:
I always thought you could contact that states DNR and get some sort of special blessing to have have a higher possesion

On a hunting preserve they give you a voucher showing how many birds were released and how many were harvested. I guess a guy should keep that handy in case he leaves a preserve and gets stopped or if they, the DNR, checks your freezer which I doubt they would do, having to get a search warrant and all but who knows.

Back