Versatile Breed (all dogs) game taken

still_steamn

Would folks on this site be interested in a thread with pictures of the variety of game our dogs have helped us take? Not just the "versatile breed" hunting dogs, retrievers/flushers are also versatile in my opinion, because they are better at waterfowl than my shivery shorthair would be, and arguably better for pheasants in super thick cover. I could put up pictures of me and my GSP with woodcock, ruffed grouse, sharptail grouse, prairie chicken, pheasant, Hungarian partridge, and even coyotes!! But I don't want to start posting pictures unless others would be interested in joining in, and maybe the moderator would say this forum is not the right spot for it.

To let you know that the English Setter is a very versatile breed, mine have pointed pheasant, prairie chicken, bobwhite, scaled quail, woodcock, turkey, mallard, possum, skunk, coon, coyote, badger, rabbit, mouse, diller, whitetailed deer, and squirrel. Might have missed a few others, won't say I killed them all. I am up on the skunks, but several also got their shots in, me the smellier:)

To let you know that the English Setter is a very versatile breed, mine have pointed pheasant, prairie chicken, bobwhite, scaled quail, woodcock, turkey, mallard, possum, skunk, coon, coyote, badger, rabbit, mouse, diller, whitetailed deer, and squirrel. Might have missed a few others, won't say I killed them all. I am up on the skunks, but several also got their shots in, me the smellier:)
Was about to post something similar about my Brittanys. I guess they're pretty 'versatile' too. :D

Brits and setters are versitile dogs by NAVHDA standards. See some brits at the tests but only one setter in 25 years.

I lost a lot of my pics in photobucket but my dogs (springers) have had many adventures with all types of game including catching wild pigs, fawns (released safely), killing vermon, rats, opposums, raccoons, and most recently a skunk:(. They'll also fight coyotes given the chance and they'll even flush and retrieve a bird every now and then.:D These dogs are endless entertainment.:cheers:

I forgot about the time JP treed a squirrel for me, one of my prouder moments.

Last edited:
If your dog brings an automatic dog feeder home with him from the neighbors and is in the front yard trying to break into it, is he a v-dog? Or drags home a half of a deer and is gnawing on it? How about somebody's crock pot? Trash bags? Dead or half dead canadian geese, skunks, opossums, fox, raccoon, snakes? Just checking?

My border collie got sprayed last night. Then she killed it and ate it:eek:. That dog kills anything that comes on the property. Period. She will even try to get people.

On friday chip ran a coyote out of the grass and into a pasture. The coyote slowed to a lope like he was getting ready to turn around, then he saw me and took off. Was weird, must have been I second one in there somewhere. I guess:confused:

That one got a pass because there was no seperation. Some ducks and geese when he was a pup, couple coyotes, a hand full of quail.Thats about it really.

Last edited:
I don't mean to brag but this is what some real v-dogs look like.:D

What the heck! chips chits bigger than that! don't make me bust out a real V-picture.:D

Don't let that little guys size full you, he was ferocious... According to the dogs.:p

Ok, ok. Maybe you'll be more impressed by this catch? Not bad for one 45lb, year old pup.

that looks tasty! Can you roast a pig like that or does it have to processed?

No serious are they to gamey to roast when they are that size?

Last edited:
You could, I butchered that one but he would've roasted up nicely if you could leave most of the fat on when you skinned it. They don't get too gamey until they get over 150lbs or so.

Young Bert, the not-right dog, proudly displayed his versatility, in spite of being tethered in the yard on a long lead.

He was SO proud.

:D

Last edited:
Back