Varmint guns

Daisybuck

Sorry if this an old topic, but I have three choices for my inaugural `yote season this year:

.204 Ruger
.25-06 Remington
Remington 1100 IC fixed choke

Planning on calling as well as cruising (find a track, follow). I think the .204 will do the job, but has anyone had success? Failure?

Opinions? Do you bring more than one? Also, NOT BUYING A NEW GUN. So you AR-15 lead flingers, sorry, not happening.

Sorry if this an old topic, but I have three choices for my inaugural `yote season this year:

.204 Ruger
.25-06 Remington
Remington 1100 IC fixed choke

Planning on calling as well as cruising (find a track, follow). I think the .204 will do the job, but has anyone had success? Failure?

Opinions? Do you bring more than one? Also, NOT BUYING A NEW GUN. So you AR-15 lead flingers, sorry, not happening.

If your calling them in all of the above will get the job done. Yes we always take a rifle and a shotgun when calling. Thick cover almost always kill them with the shotgun, they run right in at point blank range.

That said, the Ic fixed choke might be a problem. We use full choke or extra full chokes with #4 buck shot. 204 Ruger is a good choice hot little round and will not damage pelt to badly. 25-06 isn't a bad choice if shooting longer ranges, but pelt damage maybe a problem. :cheers:

Lord help me, should I try 00 buck in the Benelli with the tighter choke? Is that going to damage the tube? If I break that thing I will be throwing rocks before the wife pries open the wallet for another...:rolleyes:

I use a 223 and a 870 12 ga--I keep my guns when I buy a new one so I don't have to use my good gun. Lucky me:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Lord help me, should I try 00 buck in the Benelli with the tighter choke? Is that going to damage the tube? If I break that thing I will be throwing rocks before the wife pries open the wallet for another...:rolleyes:

Daisybuck, I shoot #4 buck out of my benelli with a extra full dead yote choke , with no problems. Lead shot . I don't think 00 buck in that choke would be a good thing.:eek: You might try bb or bbb or #2. All will work just fine to put them DRT.:)

I have my heart set on a new Winchester model 70 Featherweight in 22-250. I'm a model 70 fan, The Rifleman's rifle.

1954 Model 70 Winchester in .220 swift, old Unertl Scope, or sometimes use a just as old Weaver V9. On it's third barrel, first was nickle steel, throat erosion gets them because like a 7mm it burns to much powder in the barrel due to the shallow case shoulder. But deadly accurate, hold dead on at 400 yards on coyote sized targets, their so far away they don't think you can reach 'em. 22-250 is an improvement in longevity, and case effinciency, not quite as much horsepower, but I doubt anyone could tell the difference in practical use.

1954 Model 70 Winchester in .220 swift, old Unertl Scope, or sometimes use a just as old Weaver V9. On it's third barrel, first was nickle steel, throat erosion gets them because like a 7mm it burns to much powder in the barrel due to the shallow case shoulder. But deadly accurate, hold dead on at 400 yards on coyote sized targets, their so far away they don't think you can reach 'em. 22-250 is an improvement in longevity, and case effinciency, not quite as much horsepower, but I doubt anyone could tell the difference in practical use.

220 swift is a "Hot" Rod for sure. A great gun and ammo combo you got

I was fortunate enough to inherit grandpas model 70 22-250. I love that gun and its hell on yotes.

870 supermag, hevi shot dead coyote, or buckshot and a turkey choke.

I try and setup so if a rabbit was dying a coyote wouldn't be able to see it until he was within shotgun range. Keep a open field,water,or frozen water behind me with the wind in my face and a fence line or brushy funnel to bring them right to me. :)

I f you guys knew how long I agonized over the .22-250/.204 Ruger decision... Glad to hear I can run lighter on the pellet size with the benelli.

So take them both? How does that work from a practical standpoint? I'll be keyed up enough as it is. Now trying to decide which piece to pick up and shoot?

Maybe the wife is right, I can't multi-task...:rolleyes:

Take the 204 if your tracking/spot and stalk in open country. If the tracks head down into a slough, walk back to the truck and grab the scattergun.

Im not much into calling, but Id take the rifle there also.

Spot and stalk is my gig. I either carry a .17 Rem or a 22-250.

IMG_5005.JPG

PC080001.JPG

foxB.jpg

My 8 yr old daughter. (whos getting married this Saturday) with her first red fox. 90 yds with a .17 Rem

Donni%20Jean.jpg

DJfox.jpg

Red, sweet pics

1954 Model 70 Winchester in .220 swift,

Now were talking I also shoot a 220 Swift Ruger (Love it):thumbsup:
And I have a ( AR-15 lead flinger,) also:D
My favorite is my shotgun (00 Buckshot)

DJfox.jpg

Red that is Just the biggest smile I have seen in a long time good for her:thumbsup:

I shoot a Winchester model 70 Coyote in 22-250 and I love it, for a box gun it is a tack driver. Have shot alot of prairie dogs and coyotes over the years with it. I do not shoot prairie dogs anymore so if I was to do it again I would probably get it in a .243 then I could use it for antelope and the occasional whitetail as well.

Golden: I think I better start stalking you for your spots. I have called a bunch and gotten raptors (owls, hawks, etc.) and never had THAT kind of result. Wow. Called coyote is on ``the bucket list'' for me.
Thanks folks. I am motivated.

Back