UPH retrieving challange

FCSpringer

Since we have all the chatter on what dog does this, what dog does that as far as retrieving goes, why don't we have a UPH get together and have a retrieving challenge. No birds, no guns no permits, no DNR worry, no state regs to worry about. Just some super launcher and land and water fun. Lets see what breeds and brands can do what folks claim they can do. Have a cook out and some fun. Maybe a small fee and the dogs that take it to the limit and are standing at the end get a prize and bragging rights. all breeds welcome. Even pointers. We can launch some 100 yarders plus on land and water and see what goes. Delivery to hand is a must to move to the next rounds. Would be a fun way to spend a weekend, eat some BBQ and BS.:thumbsup: :cheers:

I am in! Sounds like a blast. Let me know how I can help with organizing

Steve

Let's add in a trailing test too

Gatz, how about just some marked retrieving land and water. Then all we need is a zinger and some 22cal launchers and dummies. No hassle with birds etc, and keep it simple. Keep each round more challenging until one is left. Kinda like playing horse in basket ball. Increase your shot in difficulty and see if the one who follows can hang on to the next round or is out. Once out, your out. Once we get out to two hundred or even less we will loose dogs. Especialy in water. Do one say starting at 50-75 land, then water. The ones that make them go to rnd 2 say 100 land then water etc until dogs drop out, fail or handler says I'm out. Dogs that miss mark and come back are out. if they hunt the area for a bit and get it, fine. But we can set a limit say 5 minutes to be fair, and you may handle, as long as you don't bring the dog back in, or the dog does not come in on his own. Then if we get to where we need to break a tie with a few we toss in a blind retrieve or something at the end. To run a field event on birds just takes too much hassle, too costly, and no commitment. We tried that idea in the past and it just don't pan out. Why some just have a hunt at a club and get together. This would have to be a weekend after everyone is done with breed events, trials navhda or what ever they are. Or people just cant make it. This would also just require any land with water near or at. No permits, can be private. Since we will not use any live ammo or birds, no DNR. basically just a glorified group yard training day. If it gets warm, well people will just have to be smart and sensible how much they let a dog work on a retrieve. But eliminating the "hunt" from it it should eliminate most of the concern for over heating. And I would say the dogs must be steady until the dummy hits the ground and handler sends on command. A dog who takes off under a launch and is half way or under the fall when it hits the ground is not marking anything. It is chasing. To prove marking and challenge a dog it must be steady. Its a thought any way, may have to wait till summer or fall to find grounds etc. Some including me will probably do hunt tests too. Which run later. I plan to go for a Master hunter title for Odie now that he is a Field champion, so those events I will be gone too. The problem has been finding time where several of us can get together at the same time for such a thing.

For me, I would love to do this, meet you guys and your pups.
I have the place, clean water, plenty of land, all mine no permits or permission required. nice shore, plenty of room etc.
Camp, whatever.

I would love to see your pups work.

Can't say that my spoiled rotten house pets can compete with the pros. Sure would be fun to watch your pups though. :cheers:

Wow, wish I was closer this sounds like a great time! Will be interesting to hear how this turns out. Good luck I know there are alot of great dogs out there.

Boy I would love to take your Money :eek::eek:

Hey, :) One year ago this weekend I went all the way to Lawrence KS:) To pick up a Britt pup. 7 states total. :eek:
Not all that far, come on up. :cheers:

For me, I would love to do this, meet you guys and your pups.
I have the place, clean water, plenty of land, all mine no permits or permission required. nice shore, plenty of room etc.
Camp, whatever.

I would love to see your pups work.

Can't say that my spoiled rotten house pets can compete with the pros. Sure would be fun to watch your pups though. :cheers:

Where is the location? That's the point is to just get away, BS and have a fun not so serious time. And if we were to try a field trial type thing like we looked at before, then were talking different divisions etc again for pointer dogs and flushers. This is something everyone can try. I guess we could do a steady and not steady class easy enough too.:thumbsup:

Easy to get to, Southern Hubbard County MN.
If You want to google Earth it, I'll give info. :cheers:

Maybe, probably should use email.

Hey, :) One year ago this weekend I went all the way to Lawrence KS:) To pick up a Britt pup. 7 states total. :eek:
Not all that far, come on up. :cheers:

Lawrence huh. That's me and britchasers backyard. Few others that are pretty close here. Yea I would drive that far for a pup, probably a spell farther:) It's something else to do it just to fart around. I know my wife and kids want to go to the great mall and school shop sometime this summer:eek:. Probably pushing my luck to ask if I could take the dog and veer off for a day of screwin around with something like this. Like clint said " a man needs to know his limitations". I'm sure I couldn't compete with the pro's, but it would still be fun to watch.

Gatz, how about just some marked retrieving land and water. Then all we need is a zinger and some 22cal launchers and dummies. No hassle with birds etc, and keep it simple. Keep each round more challenging until one is left. Kinda like playing horse in basket ball. Increase your shot in difficulty and see if the one who follows can hang on to the next round or is out. Once out, your out. Once we get out to two hundred or even less we will loose dogs. Especialy in water. Do one say starting at 50-75 land, then water. The ones that make them go to rnd 2 say 100 land then water etc until dogs drop out, fail or handler says I'm out. Dogs that miss mark and come back are out. if they hunt the area for a bit and get it, fine. But we can set a limit say 5 minutes to be fair, and you may handle, as long as you don't bring the dog back in, or the dog does not come in on his own. Then if we get to where we need to break a tie with a few we toss in a blind retrieve or something at the end. To run a field event on birds just takes too much hassle, too costly, and no commitment. We tried that idea in the past and it just don't pan out. Why some just have a hunt at a club and get together. This would have to be a weekend after everyone is done with breed events, trials navhda or what ever they are. Or people just cant make it. This would also just require any land with water near or at. No permits, can be private. Since we will not use any live ammo or birds, no DNR. basically just a glorified group yard training day. If it gets warm, well people will just have to be smart and sensible how much they let a dog work on a retrieve. But eliminating the "hunt" from it it should eliminate most of the concern for over heating. And I would say the dogs must be steady until the dummy hits the ground and handler sends on command. A dog who takes off under a launch and is half way or under the fall when it hits the ground is not marking anything. It is chasing. To prove marking and challenge a dog it must be steady. Its a thought any way, may have to wait till summer or fall to find grounds etc. Some including me will probably do hunt tests too. Which run later. I plan to go for a Master hunter title for Odie now that he is a Field champion, so those events I will be gone too. The problem has been finding time where several of us can get together at the same time for such a thing.

I like it, I thought by adding a trail we might get a few more V dogs. Steady, and delivery to hand, but maybe no handle as this is a marking test. Kinda sounds like a training day with dogs from different disciplins. I can probably get us access to some grounds in between Monticello and St. Cloud. Property is about 60 acres manicured for training with 7 training ponds.

Lawrence huh. That's me and britchasers backyard. Few others that are pretty close here. Yea I would drive that far for a pup, probably a spell farther:) It's something else to do it just to fart around. I know my wife and kids want to go to the great mall and school shop sometime this summer:eek:. Probably pushing my luck to ask if I could take the dog and veer off for a day of screwin around with something like this. Like clint said " a man needs to know his limitations". I'm sure I couldn't compete with the pro's, but it would still be fun to watch.

How far of a drive was it, I'm right outside of Lawrence myself. Would be a fun great weekend, picking everybodys brain about dog training would be nice. I'm definitely a novice trainer, would be fun to see how my griff stacks up.

No pros here:thumbsup:. I am not sure there is a pro on UPH, well I know one just turned pro. But he wont make it I'm sure. Maybe somewhere far sth MN SD to be central more for the majority that show interest. I guess first thing is how many from where, then when. I will look up my events and get back what would be my earliest weekend. Then after that stuff, I am pretty much open on weekends. The field should have some cover that's similar through out. So someone does not have to do one from a bounce in to thick green canary grass, while others are in light switch. Even a light brome would work so we can see them too. Not sure what cover will look like in some areas this spring. Plenty of time yet. I know my last trial I am judging in is May 10th, 11th in ND. But there is some hunt tests after those.

From Lawrence You just hop on I-29 and take a right at Fargo. :)
I think about 500 miles?
When I went down I zig zagged through S MN then Iowa to hit I 29 at about Sioux City. On the way home I worked my way West in KS then took more side roads through NB and SD.
I like to see country, made it a "rooster Road Trip":cheers:
I could see the drought problem then in KS. Otherwise thought it to nice country.

By the way, there are lots of KS people come to N MN for vacations and fishing.
My place is in an area where there's hundreds of lakes and hundreds of puplic accesses. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have a very nice 35 acre private lake. Some Bull Rushes.
There is native low ground grasses, it's watery, don't know how that would work?
The grassland was grazed last Summer, so not much there.
Lots of HEAVY cattails. :eek:

I have a very nice 35 acre private lake. Some Bull Rushes.
There is native low ground grasses, it's watery, don't know how that would work?
The grassland was grazed last Summer, so not much there.
Lots of HEAVY cattails. :eek:

How about we do this in early October, like duck opener. I'll bring decoys!

Back