Unpopular opinion - dog caught a hen

KEOutdoors

The other thread on retrieving birds reminded me of a conversation i had with a warden last month.

Unpopular opinion but in most states your dog is an extension of you- the hunter/owner. Any birds your dog kills are now in your limit whether you pulled the trigger or not, and if the dog catches a hen and kills it you are at fault. You must report this, and most times the warden will take the bird and issue no tickets as catching a bird usually means something was already wrong with it.

What to do?
He (iowa warden) told me to please call it in immediately and dont be afraid, common sense will prevail. He said he tells guys to call as soon as it happens and place the bird on the ground where you are in the open breast side up, and drop a pin on your phone. He will come out and find/take the bird from the field and speak to you. He said absolutely do not put the bird in your vest and wait to call when you get back to your truck, as now you are in possession of a hen and it looks like you are hiding it if you get checked in the field first. He told me there is virtually no chance you will get to keep the bird, and if the bird was shot you may have more explaining to do... But you calling and explaining everything up front will help you out vs someone behind you finding it and reporting you. He said being able to take this bird to get checked for possible diseases or poaching event is important for the whole area, so they wont throw the book at you.

He said if someone else sees your dog kill the bird and you just leave it, then it wont be going in your favor.. or obviously if you shot it...

Hope this helps someone, always be honest and take responsibility for what your dog does. Its part of being an ethical hunter. Remember most game wardens are hunters too, and arent out to get you.

A decade (maybe a bit longer) ago I was invited to hunt with a group of locals and farmers SW of Mankato. A bit more people that I like, but I said sure.

The only dog was my well-seasoned Brittany. On two separate walks she went on point on multiple wounded birds ... when I got close I could see the rooster or the tail. Three times out of four I actually picked up the bird. All were alive, but wounded ... Fields had not been hunted for a few weeks.

On the third lifted bird, a random guy (didn't quite get these were wounded or was just joking) - yells would you let them fly please. I threw the third bird in the air ... after saying hold your shots... the bird promptly lands on my boots and the dog got grabbed it.

I have had dogs catch a few hens, but they were always alive and just let go.

It seems like a lot of work on the warden's part for a dead hen. What are the odds of him/her actually driving to an area to pick up a dead hen, especially if it's in the middle of a 200+ acre parcel? Just doesn't make sense with them being so shorthanded these days.
I'm curious if anyone on this forum has ever received a ticket for their dog catching a hen.

So I would consider myself a fairly ethical hunter. I don’t shoot or catch more than my limit. I Don trespass, in fact I will count a lost bird in my daily limit. My last lab was an occasional hen catcher, particularly in snow. I got to where I could figure out when he was on one. His did kill one periodically. I seriously doubt I would ever call a warden to come out. If that makes me unethical I guess I am. We had this discussion a few years ago on here

There was a lengthy discussion about this a few years ago. If I can find it, I’ll post the link.

Anyway, there is apparently a court case in SD which the court said if a hen was killed, the violation is possession and if a hen is killed, the lawful solution is to leave it in the field.

Edited to include link to prior discussion-

Last edited:
There was a lengthy discussion about this a few years ago. If I can find it, I’ll post the link.

Anyway, there is apparently a court case in SD which the court said if a hen was killed, the violation is possession and if a hen is killed, the lawful solution is to leave it in the field.

Edited to include link to prior discussion-

Ha I forgot about that one.. thanks for posting it. Several years later and my dogs are still doing the same shit😂

The other thread on retrieving birds reminded me of a conversation i had with a warden last month.

Unpopular opinion but in most states your dog is an extension of you- the hunter/owner. Any birds your dog kills are now in your limit whether you pulled the trigger or not, and if the dog catches a hen and kills it you are at fault. You must report this, and most times the warden will take the bird and issue no tickets as catching a bird usually means something was already wrong with it.

What to do?
He (iowa warden) told me to please call it in immediately and dont be afraid, common sense will prevail. He said he tells guys to call as soon as it happens and place the bird on the ground where you are in the open breast side up, and drop a pin on your phone. He will come out and find/take the bird from the field and speak to you. He said absolutely do not put the bird in your vest and wait to call when you get back to your truck, as now you are in possession of a hen and it looks like you are hiding it if you get checked in the field first. He told me there is virtually no chance you will get to keep the bird, and if the bird was shot you may have more explaining to do... But you calling and explaining everything up front will help you out vs someone behind you finding it and reporting you. He said being able to take this bird to get checked for possible diseases or poaching event is important for the whole area, so they wont throw the book at you.

He said if someone else sees your dog kill the bird and you just leave it, then it wont be going in your favor.. or obviously if you shot it...

Hope this helps someone, always be honest and take responsibility for what your dog does. Its part of being an ethical hunter. Remember most game wardens are hunters too, and arent out to get you.
I haven't had it happen much but when I do I practice the old 2 s's shovel and shut up!!

So my cousin was deer hunting slowly walking across the rows of a snowed in standing cornfield. He sees a sleeping fawn in front of a big doe only about 50 yards away. He lowers himself to a knee and shoots the doe right thru the neck killing it in its bed. Only problem is the fawn had lifted its head and he shot her thru the neck and killed her also.
He only has one tag so he calls the warden. The warden says leave everything wait in your vehicle for about a hour I will be there. Warden arrives looks the situation over and says well I am sure you are willing to spend 80.00 to have that accidental deer processed and donated to feeding the hungry? Cousin says of course. Warden says we'll you tag that fawn and then help me dress this nice big doe so I can take it to the locker.

So my cousin was deer hunting slowly walking across the rows of a snowed in standing cornfield. He sees a sleeping fawn in front of a big doe only about 50 yards away. He lowers himself to a knee and shoots the doe right thru the neck killing it in its bed. Only problem is the fawn had lifted its head and he shot her thru the neck and killed her also.
He only has one tag so he calls the warden. The warden says leave everything wait in your vehicle for about a hour I will be there. Warden arrives looks the situation over and says well I am sure you are willing to spend 80.00 to have that accidental deer processed and donated to feeding the hungry? Cousin says of course. Warden says we'll you tag that fawn and then help me dress this nice big doe so I can take it to the locker.
Lol

I know a waterfowl guide that had a client shoot too many ducks on accident. They called the fed warden and no tickets were issued.

Back