Unintentional Genocide

oldandnew

I drove up from Kansas City to Omaha. Was satisfied to see the Missouri Mitigation effort in Missouri, Nebraska, and Iowa. Despite farmers claim that the Corp. of Engineers orchestrated the Missouri River flood 4 years ago, (I think?), to force land prices in the flood plain down, and make it available for restoring the river flood plain, chutes, and backwater. Startling is the continued wholesale destruction outside these areas, to erase any ditch, tree, fencerow, or any grass covered " idle land" ( as the farmer says), to grow more crops. I have been thinking of a way to express this for sometime, like every trip in rural America! it occurs to me, we in the conservation minority, need categorize this in what could be considered "shocking terms". I have determined that " unintentional genocide", is shocking, because genocide is a term, which harkens back to the worse of human culture, Unintentional, because, like the human genocide we are all familiar with, a lot of people who might have had knowledge, but not involved with the systematic implementation, did not object, and maintained deniability during and after the fact. This since, has been a galvanizing attitude in the human population, hopefully, there will be outcry, to stop this in the future. So with our natural world being stripped from around us, perhaps the table conversation with dinner party guests, political meetings, the subject might be focused on unintentional genocide. Expressed with this though, I realize that the average farmer has no will to rid the world of pheasants, quail, rabbits, songbirds, might even feed these at the backyard bird feeder! This also includes the investor who has holding in Monsanto, is a charitable contributor to Universities which provides product and management to continue the unabated assault of the countryside. The theory is while there is not intentional destruction or actively killing the species, the fact is if you destroy the brush pile, corner swamp, fencerow, and force out the game birds, rabbits, song birds, et.al., we force them to migrate to "other" habitat, most of which is also gone, we have now exterminated the species, not country wide, probably not even county wise, but alarmingly enough any casual viewer would be conscious of it! Do we want to be the people who stood silently by and facilitated this? You can even expound this with governmental unintelligent and unintentional duplicity. After all the U.S. government used a term of "total war". On our own Indians! We used the food resources, buffalo, to force the submission of a people by starvation, and in ability to fight for their way of life. A co-incidence, the buffalo were nearly extinct. I doubt the harden buffalo hunter, the cattleman, the sportsman, or the people who came to find a farm, on the wilderness to make a life for them selves and their kids, ever under stood the real issue, and probably waxed nostalgically over the passing of the herds, not realizing the small part of their activities contributed to the solution. Lets not let this happen again. We are a culture of "shock therapy", we ignored Japan till Pearl Harbor, now we ignore the "dead zone" I call little Iowa, where half of top soil goes with it's contaminants), ground water either polluted, or depleted, lesser prairie chicken on endangered species list, bobwhite quail habitat shrinking uninhabitable, and last but not least, the pheasants pushed back to shrinking corners of habitat that the plow has spared! We have seen it coming, and as "pogo" in comic books said, "we have seen the enemy, and he is US!".

Last edited:
Old and New

Great read. Only forgot the corporate greed and government mandate on ethanol products. Thank you for voicing many of our concerns, let's hope it's not too late.

Nice article Oldandnew:thumbsup: They should've let some of these farmers go broke in the 80's and not let them write off 100000's dollars. Wish I could have a couple years of free inputs like they got.

Well put O&N! All too often we join pursuits that, though headed toward an enviable goal, destroy much of what is good in the process. We get concerned about "feeding the world", but in doing so destroy our habitats and degrade our fertility to do so. The countries we are trying to feed have quality soil and an available work force. Why don't we teach them to feed themselves and reserve our habitats and soil so that our great grandchildren might also have the quality of life that we have had. I am not a great study of history, but it comes to my mind that many civilizations have come a gone because they have destroyed the Garden of Eden that they were blessed with! We're far too concerned with cheaper, easier food that we have lost sight of the costs of getting it that way and maybe of the nutritional quality of the newer varieties. So many people have no links to the land anymore and a "it comes from the market" mentality has no understanding of the process, the costs, and the trade-offs that are made to stock those shelves. As voters, they cannot understand what their button push in the polling booth will result in when they put a slash and burn politician in office. I truly think that getting away from diversity on the farm is going to be a big problem for us soon.

Well put O&N! All too often we join pursuits that, though headed toward an enviable goal, destroy much of what is good in the process. We get concerned about "feeding the world", but in doing so destroy our habitats and degrade our fertility to do so. The countries we are trying to feed have quality soil and an available work force. Why don't we teach them to feed themselves and reserve our habitats and soil so that our great grandchildren might also have the quality of life that we have had. I am not a great study of history, but it comes to my mind that many civilizations have come a gone because they have destroyed the Garden of Eden that they were blessed with! We're far too concerned with cheaper, easier food that we have lost sight of the costs of getting it that way and maybe of the nutritional quality of the newer varieties. So many people have no links to the land anymore and a "it comes from the market" mentality has no understanding of the process, the costs, and the trade-offs that are made to stock those shelves. As voters, they cannot understand what their button push in the polling booth will result in when they put a slash and burn politician in office. I truly think that getting away from diversity on the farm is going to be a big problem for us soon.
You know the need of diversity sure hit's a great cord of wisdom! That made me think, that even my grandfather, was a diversified farmer, he got that from his parents, who emigrated here. In those days they had work horses, milking shorthorn's ( have not seen one in years!) , chickens, farrow to finishing hogs. Whew!!! The whole goal was to FEED yourselves! The row crops went to feed the animals, what ever was left they sold to market place, or bartered. Now the corn and soybean farmer is beholding to the supermarket forces, the petroleum suppliers, the utility companies, just like the office worker! In a weird sort of anti-freedom slavery proposition. We might live, but being free? Not the theory our grandfathers had! If we pick arbitrarily pick species "winners" over other species, who have a certain quality, some of which we may not know currently, diminished us further. I see Monsanto is buying up every variety of "heirloom seed" they can, is it to modify it? or to take it off the market?

50 years ago there wasn't any " wheat farmers, corn farmers, or bean farmers ". They all had to plant a number of crops to fulfill the needs you outlined O&N! The rotation made sure that all their eggs weren't in one basket as well. Now, with the insurance and federal programs, they often plant one crop and call it good. The soil benefits from crop rotations and different root structures has been lost.

This area to the South and West was 160-200 acre farms. To the North and East is Woods and water. Red Barns and 10-12 milk cows, yup Shorthorns and Guernsey. A few brood sows, and laying hens, everybody had a chicken coop and a big garden.
Take the cream and eggs to town and bring back stuff like sugar, coffee etc.
I remember binders and threshers. :)
I loved riding the binder.

No irrigation, the soil held moisture. Red Clover and Alfalfa, grass mix for hay and grazing. When it slowed at production rotated to corn, after the corn, oats, then back to the Clover alfalfa mix. Manure and waste was the fertilizer.

All the red barns are gone, so are the old farmers, so are rotated crops. Center pivots. Potatoes, corn and dry edible beans. The irrigators go constantly rain or not. The soil is so loose it has to be watered constantly. Snow melt washes gullies so deep cats are used to smooth things out so the enormous "track" tractors can work the quarter in a few hours.
I just wonder? 20 years down the road?
I guess with enough water and fertilizer they can grow taters in sand?

This area to the South and West was 160-200 acre farms. To the North and East is Woods and water. Red Barns and 10-12 milk cows, yup Shorthorns and Guernsey. A few brood sows, and laying hens, everybody had a chicken coop and a big garden.
Take the cream and eggs to town and bring back stuff like sugar, coffee etc.
I remember binders and threshers. :)
I loved riding the binder.

No irrigation, the soil held moisture. Red Clover and Alfalfa, grass mix for hay and grazing. When it slowed at production rotated to corn, after the corn, oats, then back to the Clover alfalfa mix. Manure and waste was the fertilizer.

All the red barns are gone, so are the old farmers, so are rotated crops. Center pivots. Potatoes, corn and dry edible beans. The irrigators go constantly rain or not. The soil is so loose it has to be watered constantly. Snow melt washes gullies so deep cats are used to smooth things out so the enormous "track" tractors can work the quarter in a few hours.
I just wonder? 20 years down the road?
I guess with enough water and fertilizer they can grow taters in sand?

From what I've noticed the "small farms" seem to take pride in there land (in general). They own it. It's been in the family for generations. Complements regarding their habitat and the farm in general are always welcome. We have a few of such on this forum.;)

The areas I've noticed poor and at time irresponsible land management is on rented properties. The renter is trying to get everything he can out of that land. He's asking too much out of it and seems to carry a "I don't care what happens 20 years down the road" type attitude towards the rented property. In 20 years:confused: My Lord, if we keep up the way we are our lands wound grow much of anything.

There's a situation ( I believe in Kansas. I'll have to look into it again) where the top soil is now depleted, water is tapped from irrigation, and it will no longer grow crops. The state came in and bought it up. Not sure what they plan on doing with it seeing the land is rocking at this point. Anyway, it was a very large piece of land. Today it's done. Finished. All because of careless land management. As the saying goes, "the writing is on the wall" but as I asked another member a few years back; What's the solution:confused: I don't see a change in land management coming anytime soon.

Well I have always been the contrarian. I have a quarter of CRP that came out last year and I have been trying to figure out how to make it still produce wildlife and make some money at it. So here is the plan. We will divide it into five strips, and have a five crop rotation. Basically it will be spring wheat, winter wheat, full season cover crops, corn and finally soybeans. I am hoping that the winter wheat will provide some nesting and the corn and cover crops will provide some hunting. After we are done hunting we will graze cattle on it in early winter. It won't be like it was when it was a quarter of CRP but it won't be a quarter of bean ground either. Hopefully the diversity will be attactive and productive, if hunters show up and hunt it we can afford to not turn it into pure crop production. Do you think it will work?

Well I have always been the contrarian. I have a quarter of CRP that came out last year and I have been trying to figure out how to make it still produce wildlife and make some money at it. So here is the plan. We will divide it into five strips, and have a five crop rotation. Basically it will be spring wheat, winter wheat, full season cover crops, corn and finally soybeans. I am hoping that the winter wheat will provide some nesting and the corn and cover crops will provide some hunting. After we are done hunting we will graze cattle on it in early winter. It won't be like it was when it was a quarter of CRP but it won't be a quarter of bean ground either. Hopefully the diversity will be attactive and productive, if hunters show up and hunt it we can afford to not turn it into pure crop production. Do you think it will work?

It might just be better. For years there were 30' of wheat bordered by fallow ground to hold the soli. It was pheasant heaven. Now of course we believe the theory that drought and wind erosion are needless worry, because the new modern farmer is so well educated and these past problems are insignificant. I hope it works! Experimentation was the soul of the previous generation of famers. Good luck.

Last edited:
Haymaker, the five strips of different crops does sound like a good plan for the land, make a little profit and be pheasant friendly.
Nesting areas in this plan might be absent. I guess you do have nesting cover close by this 160?
If not, why not put in a alfalfa grass mix in one of the strips, then cut the hay after the nesting season. :cheers:

Haymaker, the five strips of different crops does sound like a good plan for the land, make a little profit and be pheasant friendly.
Nesting areas in this plan might be absent. I guess you do have nesting cover close by this 160?
If not, why not put in a alfalfa grass mix in one of the strips, then cut the hay after the nesting season. :cheers:

Yes the winter wheat is the only nesting in the plan but there is some CRP that borders it on the south and a mile of section line on the east and north sides plus some pasture to the north so I think we will be OK. I guess we will find out.

You may be able to experiment with the 1/5 that is in cover crop and use that as both habitat and a soil improving option. Any of a variety of legumes or legume/millet mixes could be habitat and possibly hay. Sounds like a better idea than a 1/4 all the same.

You may be able to experiment with the 1/5 that is in cover crop and use that as both habitat and a soil improving option. Any of a variety of legumes or legume/millet mixes could be habitat and possibly hay. Sounds like a better idea than a 1/4 all the same.

Yes the first year will be a combo of millet, milo, forage sorghum, sunflowers common vetch, peas, turnips and radishes. It will be grazed starting just before Christmas. Also all crops will be non GMO also and no roundup. I have found that cattle much prefer non GMO corn stalks so probably wildlife will too.

Good for you thinking out of the box. I think the winter wheat will provide good nesting cover. I know ducks love to nest in winter wheat but I am assuming pheasants would be the same. Interesting about the non GMO crops as I have heard the same thing about deer.

Good for you thinking out of the box. I think the winter wheat will provide good nesting cover. I know ducks love to nest in winter wheat but I am assuming pheasants would be the same. Interesting about the non GMO crops as I have heard the same thing about deer.

Funny that you should use the term "thinking out of the box", When I was with U-Guide we used to joke about how Chris was an inside the box thinker and I was so outside the box that I did not always know where the box was.

WE THE PEOPLE(remember "of the people, by the people, and for the people"?) need to purchase back 10% of pheasantland for conservation and habitat and be done with the problem.

WE THE PEOLPLE fought wars and died to obtain our country's land - then we gave it away to the private sector to promote farm development. Ok, fair enough but we should at least be able to buy 10% of it back to preserve our NATIONAL HUNTING HERITAGE.

Farm 90% - put 10% into CRP - done deal. PF would primarily exist to hold huge banquets that celebrate enormously successful hunting seasons and produce a great magazine to tell the stories about it.

RK glad to see you are still alive. Do you by any chance know a different tune. This one is old and has never been popular. You are a bright guy surely there is something you can contribute that is not the same old broken record.

I realize that hindsight has "20-20 vision" but WE THE PEOPLE made a horrible mistake by giving away almost all the farmland to the private sector. WE should have kept at least 20%. The private sector, for the most part, is a poor steward of the land. Not it's thing because money is king. Do not ask this dumb question: Hey, Private Landowners, will you set aside 10-20% of your land to help with air, water, and habitat quality? The obvious answer from 99.99% of them will be NO.

Haymaker and I are part of the .01%. That's not going to save "pheasantland".

Let's review what made pheasant hunting great:

Simple - 2 major government programs:

1. The Soil Bank

2. The CRP Program

Pheasant hunting is a product of "We The People"(aka, the government).

Back