Ultra Light vs. Sport II

JMc

Super Moderator
Ok, I've decided on the Benelli (don't hit me with the have you tried...)(yes, I've tried them all). My only hangup now is Ultra Light 12 w/26" barrel or Sport II w/28. They both feel great...anybody willing to share some ideas? :confused:

I am not a great fan of 12 gauge ultra-light shotguns. They just plain slap the crap out of me. Maybe one or 2 shells in a days hunting is one thing but over that man they are a killer. I have seen guys chewing aspirin continuously just to keep shooting with one of them.

Before you say I'll just go to one ounce loads. Heck, you might as well just go get a 20 gauge and be done with it. Don't give this pattern stuff, for they are both about the same. One ounce of shot, is one ounce of shot no matter which gun it is shot from. Just as long as the chokes are the same the result will be pretty much the same. In conclusion I'd go with a Sport II, much better gun and the 28 inch barrels will help your swing.----Bob

Last edited:
I agree on the 20 and carry an Ithaca 500 O/U with 3" chambers. As for the twelves, I use a Browning Citori Upland for pheasant; it's just that I have a hankerin' for a new automatic. I bought an 11-87 upland 20 with 23" barrel and it felt great but I flat cannot shoot it. I don't really have a legitamate reason on a 12 auto...just leaning that way.

If you don't mind a suggestion, I'd invest in a 28 inch barrel for 11-87 before I did anything. Barrels for a Remington are easy to buy and not all that expensive. That 23 inch may be fast as all get out. They are harder than heck to shoot. 23 inch are good home defense and that is about it. Just my thoughts---Bob

I won an Ultra Light last fall and recently sold it. Mainly because I have a Montefeltro that I've had for 11 years that absolutely love. Because I was so use to the Monte I had a difficult time adjusting to the raised rib on the Ultra Light. I also noticed that the Ultra Light's recoil got out of control with 3" steel shells. With 2 3/4" regular loads in lead and steel it was okay. Depending on the loads you shoot recoil can be an issue with the Ultra Light.

I somewhat disagree with the guys suggesting a 20 ga. Especially if go with a light weight 20 ga. I had a Benelli Legacy in 20 ga. and the recoil with standard 2 3/4" lead shells was more than my 12 ga. Montefeltro.

The Ultra Light is a nice gun to carry and if you stick to 2 3/4" shells you shouldn't have any issues.

Ultra Light or Sport II? Different guns with different looks. Only you can make that decision. Go with your gut and get the one that appeals to you the most in fit and finish. Good luck.

Thanks guys for the input...I sure don't mind suggestions; what I meant was, I know the Brownings, Berettas, Ithacas, etc. are all nice but they are out. Just for some clarification...I actually went to a shooting instructor due to my sudden miss factor with the 11-87. I tried several other auto 12's and have the same problem. I tilt my head to get on the bead and it turns the gun out to the right. With the higher ribbed guns, I don't have that problem, thus the Benelli UL or Sport. I really like the Sport with the 28" barrel over the UL but I'll let you know. I might also consider sending the barrel of the 11-87 in and having a higher rib added. Thanks again...who knows, I may pull out the old Sears Ted Williams pump and not worry about it :p.

I shoot a Beretta Ultralight 12 that tips the scale at 5.7 lbs. The guy I bought it from sold it because of the recoil - he was 6 foot 160 lbs soaking wet. I am 5' 10" 215 so much better padded than him. I love the gun - regularly shoot 50 rounds at clays with it with no problems (I'd be lying if I said that I'm mot sore by the 47th shot, but don't need aspirin and doesn't leave be bruised). I cerrtaily don't even notice the recoil during hunting. I have a limbsaver pad on it. I love the easy of carry and the speed of mount. Anyhow, my opinion, is, if you're not recoil-sensitive, then go with the light one, all else being equal. However, if the SPort fits you better, that's more important than a bit of weight, so I'd got with the Fit/Feel first, weight second.
-Croc

I primarily hunt pheasants with a sub six pound Beretta Ultralight o/u. If you aren't recoil sensitive it's nice to hunt with a light gun. They carry nicer and keep you fresher for longer. If you are recoil sensitive I'd suggest thet Benelli montelfeltro like Dakozeb suggests. It's heavy enough to soak up the recoil and still has that Benelli reliability.

I'm definitely not recoil sensitive and so far have you guys beat as I'm 6'1, 270. The Montfeltro is very nice but again it gives me the low rib. I was sold on the Sport until this weekend when I handled the UL again. Oh well, I guess when it's done, it will be done. I'll let you guys know. THANKS for the input. As for light O/U's, I also have the Browing Feather in a 16...very light and it will let you know you have pulled the trigger.

Something about light guns. My regular Trap shooting gun is a Ruger RL O/U. 30 inch barrels, and it weighs about 7 pounds. A little heavy for a 20 gauge. Anyway, I was shooting some lighter guns that weighed 6 1/4 pounds. After a while my 22 average dropped. It went to 17-18 birds. Several people told me to try this and that. Then one day old shooter was watching me and he caught it. He told me I was lifting my head not a lot just about the same as raising your eye brows. The light guns slapping my cheek over time, made me recoil sensitive. I was raising my head that tiny bit to get away from the cheek slap. Just food for thought about light guns. What you think is not always what is really happening.---Bob

Bul

Last November I sprang for a new Benelli Ultralight 12ga semi-auto. I read so many good things about it over at shotgunworld.com and wanted one for over a year. I had to install a longer recoil pad to increase LOP as I need to on every shotgun (I documented how this was done and can provide a link that has pictures, a little trickier than normal due to a largely hollow buttstock). Finally got it out a couple weekends ago and put 100 rounds through it in an hour and a half. Shooting 2 3/4" #8 field/trap loads with a jacket on, recoil was no issue at all. No sign of a sore shoulder. Just like I read on the other site, even though this thing weighs only 6lbs and is not a gas gun, the felt recoil is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure 3" shells will be different but I would only use those on a hunt and for sure I never feel recoil when hunting. And I was hitting great with this gun, so far I love it. I patterned it at 30 yards and the pattern was dead center with the beads.

Ok, I've decided on the Benelli (don't hit me with the have you tried...)(yes, I've tried them all). My only hangup now is Ultra Light 12 w/26" barrel or Sport II w/28. They both feel great...anybody willing to share some ideas? :confused:

Jim, educate me on what the Sport II is? I am back in the stone ages with the SBE. Is that the comparable model? Can you get 4 shells in that one vs. only 3 in UL?

Right off the cuff 28" sounds LONG in this day and age. Also adds weight. I'm ashamed to state it this way but I think my SBE is 24" and I love it. Might be 26 but I'm thinkin 24. If they did not make a 24 then I guess its a 26. With the modern choking systems the added barrel length is old school.

UGUIDE,
The Sport II is very similar to the Montefeltro Silver Legacy but does not have the engraving. However, it does have the 10mm rib like the ultralight. I guess it's a hybrid :p. The Sport also come with a 28 or 30 inch barrel where the UL comes in a 24 or 26. The Sport has a high gloss black barrel and is ported and also comes with extended choke tubes.
Here is my problem: I can't stand the 28" barrel on that long action as it looks like it's a mile long; & I don't like the 24" barrel on the UL and can't find a 26". It's a good thing it's not hunting season. I'll get more serious around August or September.
Jim

Jim, I know this is a personal choice thing. But if get that 28 inch barrel take to a gun range shoot a few rounds of Skeet or Trap. You then see how sweet that 28 inch Barrel swings compared to a 26 inch. Don't let the looks make up your mind let the shooting of gun do it for you. I have a Rem. 11-87 with 28 inch barrel. Normally I shoot O/U's or a SxS. Try going back to the 11-87 after shooting a short gun like them for a while

UGUIDE,
Here is my problem: I can't stand the 28" barrel on that long action as it looks like it's a mile long; & I don't like the 24" barrel on the UL and can't find a 26". It's a good thing it's not hunting season. I'll get more serious around August or September.
Jim

Here is a 26 inch at GunBrokers.com that is new in box. http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=127033564

That being said the 28 incher just may be the ticket being that this is a very light gun to begin with. Longer barrels = longer sighting plane = more accurate pointing. I shoot a 32" O/U for sporting clays competition and even on closer targets I wouldn't change a thing. But it really depends on what your going to be using this gun for. For quail a 26 maybe just fine, on the other hand if you mix in a bit of Pheasant, duck and or goose the 28 may be the better choice IMO.

I went to my local Gander Mtn. in Amarillo last night and handled the Supersport (28") Sport II (28") and the Ultralight (24"). I really did like the Supersport and the Sport II as far as target acquisition. So now, I'm stirring the pot even more...do I go with the Supersports black carbon fiber look or the Sport II's wood? :confused:

Jim. Go WOOD, with all the carbon stuff hitting the market. It will not be to many years and wood will be at a premium. It will draw a better trade-in or price in a sale. Glad to hear you decided on the 28 inch barrel. I know you will be much happier with it.---Bob

Jim,

Now you are down to personal preference and no one on this forum can make that decision for you. Which one do you prefer? Composite or wood?

However, this is assuming that you have eliminated the UL from contention. I don't know if in this thread you ever stated what you would be using this shotgun for. Field, trap or sporting clays. Or a combination of the three. If you intend to use the gun strictly for field and want an easy to carry gun I would recommend the UL with a 26" barrel. (personally I prefer the 24", but that's just me!) There has to be someone in your area that has a UL in 26". In my area I see far more 26" UL's in the stores than 24 inchers.

Bob,

Just for the record. You couldn't give me an auto with a 28" barrel. Hate 'em. Too long. :)

But that's my personal preference. You have yours, I have mine. We don't know what Jim's is.

But then I only use the gun for upland bird hunting. The shorter barrel is easier to swing and quicker on the target. I have a 24" on my Monte and wouldn't want it 1 inch longer. I have 26" barrels on my new Citori 16 ga. and that makes for one quick pointing gun.

Jim, are you more confused now than ever?? Just buy the damn gun. The one you want. If you don't like it you can always sell it or trade it.

Good luck, buddy! :cheers:

George, I will be honest. I rarely shoot my 11-87. For field work I prefer my O/U's . They give me the choke selection I want and I just shoot better with them. They too are 28 inch barrel guns. I love the swing. The best part is they only weigh 6 1/4 pounds. So not that tiring in the field. The 11-87 is for like now. I fell last winter shoveling snow and my shoulder is still sore. I can shoot the 11-87 on Trap and not have a real sore shoulder the next day. The gas operation really helps me there.---Bob

Back