Trees and shrub planting this year.

M. R. Byrd

The tree planting contractor will show up in the morning. A little over two row miles of trees and shrubs. Two row, three row and some four row plantings. Hoped for some rain prior to planting, but all plantings will have weed barrier, plus drip tape buried below the barrier, so water will begin immediately.

I am excited to get some new plantings in the ground after a long hiatus.

That's great! I'm sure the wildlife at the ponderosa will really benefit from your efforts. You'll surely raise a bumper crop of rattlers under those weed barriers also. :eek:

Hoping you get good moisture this year!

That's great! I'm sure the wildlife at the ponderosa will really benefit from your efforts. You'll surely raise a bumper crop of rattlers under those weed barriers also. :eek:

Hoping you get good moisture this year!

That's all the buzz at the Ponderosa.

M.R. May I ask what species shrubs do You guys plant down there?

pictures please

M.R would be great if you post pic's as the trees go in! I'm also curious to what type of trees n shrubs your putting in.

I plan on putting in 50 Lilocs this spring on the east side of my deteriating tree belt, I am trying to focus on shorter trees n 4-8 foot tall shrubs.

Happy planting

Viking

The tree planting contractor will show up in the morning. A little over two row miles of trees and shrubs. Two row, three row and some four row plantings. Hoped for some rain prior to planting, but all plantings will have weed barrier, plus drip tape buried below the barrier, so water will begin immediately.

I am excited to get some new plantings in the ground after a long hiatus.

Maynard, please tell me more about the drip tape. very curious to know how it works.

Here is a picture of the tree planter. The drip tape is being dispensed from the roll. It starts out flat and becomes round with the water pressure. This tape has emitters every sixteen inches. I had to be gone when they laid the weed barrier, but will get a picture of that tomorrow.

IMG_1671_zpsea8df68e.jpg
[/URL]

My perimeter planting this year has a row of osage orange, a row of cedar and a row of shrubs. I have some interior plantings of two rows of shrubs. The new shelterbelt around the farmstead is a shrub row, two cedar rows and a shrub row.

American plum, not sandhill plum? Can you plant that because of the irrigation? I was told western KS is too tough for American plum.

I planted American plum up on my good soil, and the forester recommended that I plant sandhill plum where the soil is drier, sandier, and less "organic". He told me they normally use the sandhill in western KS, but he thought it would do well in my drier soil because he said it is a tougher shrub.

Looks good, thanks for the information.

Maynard, any thought go into using Arborvitae instead of Cedar? They have the same growth characteristics and survival % but don't spread into your adjoining grasslands. Sure saves on maintenance of those grasslands over time. I used to do those plantings. Was planting 26,000 trees a year for landowners. That was before weed barrier and drip tape:) Other than that, the planter looks quite similar. The sites are fun to watch develop. I planted a lot of mulberry and the deer kept those knee high for years. They looked like coffee tables!

Looks good, it will look really good in 5 years or so. :thumbsup:

I can hardly wait as I will have the tree planters in here soon to do 5 rows about a .25 mile each--doing three rows of Cedars and 3 rows of Russian Olives. :D

Maynard, any thought go into using Arborvitae instead of Cedar? They have the same growth characteristics and survival % but don't spread into your adjoining grasslands. Sure saves on maintenance of those grasslands over time. I used to do those plantings. Was planting 26,000 trees a year for landowners. That was before weed barrier and drip tape:) Other than that, the planter looks quite similar. The sites are fun to watch develop. I planted a lot of mulberry and the deer kept those knee high for years. They looked like coffee tables!

I will have to give them a try on the next planting. I did get a bundle of mulberry and a bundle of persimmon. They will be hand planted in a few areas.

Looks good, it will look really good in 5 years or so. :thumbsup:

I can hardly wait as I will have the tree planters in here soon to do 5 rows about a .25 mile each--doing three rows of Cedars and 3 rows of Russian Olives. :D

Good deal.

Promised some more pics, so here you go.

This is my ten foot rototiller/cultipacker that I used to prep the site.

IMG_1675_zps5b9cd9fc.jpg
[/URL]

Laying weed barrier-

IMG_1687_zpsf06599d5.jpg
[/URL]

Looking north at a three row planting. Osage orange on the west, cedar in center and shrubs on east.

IMG_1694_zpsc557b18e.jpg
[/URL]

Netafim drip tape-

IMG_1673_zps9538c77d.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_1695_zps7ee1255a.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_1696_zps79fd5663.jpg
[/URL]

Contractor used up all the Netafim tape and has switched to Toro-

IMG_1702_zpsd644aa6c.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_1698_zpsb883dbc8.jpg
[/URL]

IMG_1699_zpsc4980ee3.jpg
[/URL]

Here is the filter and pressure regulator

IMG_1692_zps5a1e7427.jpg
[/URL]

Looking good out there. :cheers:That drip tape comes from about 20 miles south of me M.R. Byrd.:thumbsup:

The Netafim tape. Most of that kind of stuff was developed out here in our irrigated desert.

Good stuff Maynard. With the effort and doing things correctly for the birds. :thumbsup:

Back