Trees and shrub planting this year.

Looks good, it will look really good in 5 years or so. :thumbsup:

I can hardly wait as I will have the tree planters in here soon to do 5 rows about a .25 mile each--doing three rows of Cedars and 3 rows of Russian Olives. :D

You SD guys sure do know how to get it done for the birds. :cheers:

Laying weed barrier on the four row shelterbelt.

IMG_1706_zps43dbb3e7.jpg
[/URL]

Shrub row with the drip line going, prior to laying the weed barrier.

IMG_1703_zpsfd8fec39.jpg
[/URL]

A cedar row getting wet.

IMG_1704_zpscb3b1a31.jpg
[/URL]

Finished up about sundown. Looks good and I am excited about the future.

Something awful pretty about a newly established shelter belt! I always enjoyed everything about the planning, prep, and planting. I do like what that new tape is doing for the water provision! Should have very few replants to worry about!!!

The NRCS was out to check the planting the week before last. I mentioned that half of my cedars were dead. They said they were seeing 100% death loss on the cedars this year. Now looking at mine, it looks like I will be right at that 100% death loss. We turned the water on immediately after the planter finished the row, so it was not a water problem. NRCS said that there was a problem with the cedar stock this year. I think I will be furnished replacements this fall, but will have to hand plant all of them. Some times the best laid plans, just don't work. The shrubs are looking good. The osage orange have not broken dormancy yet. A little set back, but I will keep after it.

I too have that problem--the cedars I planted last spring that went into winter looking great have almost totally died this spring. don't know why--bummer :confused::mad::(

Maynard, I had that happen back in the days we planted trees on private ground for landowners. They are sure easier to plant with the tractor than with the dibble pole or spade! Sorry!

I too have that problem--the cedars I planted last spring that went into winter looking great have almost totally died this spring. don't know why--bummer :confused::mad::(

Sorry to hear that. Is there any explanation?

Over the last four years I have had ten year old cedars burn up from the drought. Some I found out this summer when flood waters backed up on the property were right in foot wide by ten foot deep cracks in the subsoil that were hidden by pliable deep topsoil and sod. I had no idea the subsoil was cracked like an earthquake had split the ground.

This stuff happens and I sure don't like it, but one has to keep on keeping on.

Maynard, I had that happen back in the days we planted trees on private ground for landowners. They are sure easier to plant with the tractor than with the dibble pole or spade! Sorry!

It sure surprised me. I thought maybe I was the only one, but the NRCS said, "No you aren't".

I'm sorry to hear that, Maynard. I'm sure the cedars would have given your birds and other wildlife some good protection from the drifting snow.

Will you try to replant the cedar row next year, or just allow the shrubs and hedge to grow and spread into the cedar's space over time?

Maynard, I would still recommend you at least consider Oriental Arborvitae instead of the cedar. They generally have the same growth characteristics and protective ability, but the don't tend to migrate from their planting site like cedars do. It will reduce your maintenance pressures from sprouting cedar seedlings for decades to come.

The year I lost all of the cedars I planted in the WHIP program, all the cedars that came out of KSU were bad. I don't know why!

I will check on that. The cedars came from Oklahoma this year. Maybe OK has something against Kansas.:)

Oklahoma will let Kansasans have all the Cedars they want:eek::D

New habitat projects

Did the prep work 5 new rows of trees and here are a few pictures

This will be a food plot near the new trees

Last edited:
Now thats how to raise pheasants!:thumbsup:
Lot of undisturbed grass, lots of woody cover.

Back