Travel Trailer VS. Hotel

njp158

I am currently considering buying a travel trailer to use for bird hunting in a variety of places. Mainly South Dakota and Kansas for pheasant and Michigan and Pennsylvania for grouse. It would probably get used once a year in SD or KS for about a week and then multiple long weekends in MI and PA. The model I"m looking at is 23 FT. long and will be about 5K. This would be my first travel trailer. I'm trying to decide if its worth the hassle. When most of you go on out of state bird hunts do you stay in a hotel or do you have something like this? Some of my worries are campgrounds being closed that time of year and if I"m hunting public land, which I will be 99% of the time, will I always be able to find a campground in close proximity to where I want to hunt. Also 5K buys a lot of hotel rooms. Obviously I can also use this for some "family" camping trips in the summertime as well, but as long as its warm I have no problem in a tent so this would jsut be an added bonus. Looking for some opinions from people who might already be doing this.

Buying vs. Renting for Hunting Trips

I always stay in motels, but I have developed a relationship with a motel owner that assures that my hunting companions and I have rooms opening weekend and through Thanksgiving weekend, about the only times lodging is hard to find. Getting a travel trailer eliminates the problem of lack of lodging early in the season (or any other time). I think it makes a lot of sense to get a trailer and I would consider it. I go to Nebraska or Dakota once or twice before the Kansas season opens and it is always questionable whether I will find a motel room. If I can't find a room, too bad.

Last edited:
Have toyed with the idea of getting a travel trailer for the various fishing, upland, and big game hunting we do, but can't make it work out on paper. Having to buy the camper, upgrading to a bigger truck to make pulling less traumatizing, upkeep on all of the above, added fuel costs, and less maneuverability once at the destination have always kept us from pulling the trigger.

While the trailer would allow for not having to transfer a bunch of gear back and forth to a hotel room, the maneuverability is the big drawback. Its nice to throw the dogbox in the back of the truck, load a couple totes full of other dry gear, fill the backseat with the rest of the gear, and then go wherever the backroad leads.

Ive also toyed with the idea of a trailer. I have always stayed in small motels that allow dogs in the room. The past few that Ive stayed in are absolutely a DUMP. Use your imagination here... Honestly, some are probably smaller than a 23ft trailer too. The last one in Waubay SD I actually went to the store and bought a sleeping bag and flip flops to sleep and take a shower. Really ruins the trip.

My biggest concern would be getting a true 4 season trailer that can be used in to January without pipe or plumbing problems.

Im sure you know this but dont ever assume you'll save any money by buying a trailer. Its the convenience thats appealing

As you say, you can buy a lot of motel rooms for that kind of money, and...it costs something to tow and maintain the trailer, you have to clean and repair it, find a place to park it, probably won't have hot water or AC or very good heat.

Somebody mentioned staying in a dump in Waubay. Maybe so, but I stayed less than 10 miles down the road in Webster, $46/night for two, a decent place with a clean room, fresh sheets, hot shower, telephone, bar/restaurant, free freezer, bird cleaning facility. Day County Inn - I'd recommend it to anyone. No, it's not the Ritz-Carlton, but it's just fine.

And when I left, I had nothing to clean/repair/ tow home/insure or store.

I'll bet you can find a decent, reasonably priced motel within a half hour of almost anywhere you'd like to hunt. Share a room with a pal or two, and it's $20/night, bottom line and no hassle.

Have toyed with the idea of getting a travel trailer for the various fishing, upland, and big game hunting we do, but can't make it work out on paper. Having to buy the camper, upgrading to a bigger truck to make pulling less traumatizing, upkeep on all of the above, added fuel costs, and less maneuverability once at the destination have always kept us from pulling the trigger.

While the trailer would allow for not having to transfer a bunch of gear back and forth to a hotel room, the maneuverability is the big drawback. Its nice to throw the dogbox in the back of the truck, load a couple totes full of other dry gear, fill the backseat with the rest of the gear, and then go wherever the backroad leads.

Chessy, I am with you all the way. I had a nice 26 foot travel trailer but never took it pheasant hunting. It seems much easier to get a motel room. Don't forget, you need to pay a small fee each night to park your travel trailer on top of all the other costs.

yes

i have to agree that for phez hunting it cheaper to pay for the motel/ hotel. winter weather, the cost of gas, trying to find a place,to park and hook it up, and have to pull it back, it just isnt cost effective imo. own one to dont use it for pheasant hunting. not since feul costs have gone up. great post:D

I have stayed at the Day Co Inn.... mehh

As I mentioned - you will find a million reasons against a trailer if youre trying to justify the cost.If thats your concern just stop, and focus your efforts on finding a hotel. Its most definately cheaper to go the motel route.

However, if you analyze evrything BUT the cost then you get a lot closer to justifying it. Thats where I am with this.

I had a pop-up camper that came in very handy during bird season and used the heck out of it at the lake in the summertime. It was very comfortable and lightweight with plenty of room for gear. I'm betting you could get into a nice used one for less than 5k, and storage is less of an issue than for a travel trailer. Mine fit in my garage pretty nicely. Just my 2cents.

I have made the trip from Ohio to SD numerous times with just an enclosed cargo trailer, 18 hours is one heck of a drive. Now add the weight of a camper and the ceaseless winds No thank you. There so many places to stay from hotels, to people who rent a room in their house. I bet up Michigan a cabin or hotel would be substantially cheaper in October as well.

I think I agree with most on this thread. I would stay at a motel. I would maybe spend the money to buy a nice dog trailer with storage. Then at night if dogs are not allowed in the motel you know they will be safe in the trailer.

Motels do have some advantages.
Some dis-advantages.
You don't know who occupied the room the night before.
The reason I seldom stay in motels, I've caught a couple bugs different times that totally ended/ruined my trips.

Travel trailers would be OK. Could be a hassle, parking, wind, bad roads.

My pop-up pickup camper is the real deal for me. Carry the camp with me into the roughest country. Doesn't cramp my style a bit. Pull into almost anywhere for the night, remote camps for sure. Takes just a couple minutes to crank er up for the night. Stove, ref and heat. Then in the morning couple minutes and she's ready to roll. Nice being out there, got nothing but the sounds of the back country all night long.:thumbsup:

I prefer the comfort of a motel and a nice hot shower after a day in the field. I usually look for the locally owned Mom & Pop kind of motels where I can drive right up to the door. Most of them also allow dogs in the rooms which is a plus, espcially after a cold, wet day.

NJB, I used to travel 1000's of miles with a 1 ton diesel pickup and either 26 ft. travel travel and the 5th whell 28'. Hauled betweeb WI, MN & SD. Now I drive a VW Jetta diesel and tow a 4X6 trailer if that tells you anything. Thoughts that come to mind are wind, fuel costs, fatigue, depreciation, repairs, resale....... I like what MNMT does and you can't beat being out yonder way at night but if what you need is lodging then the motel is the real deal. Pay reasonable fee and walk away.

I appreciate all the thoughts guys. Gave me a lot to think about. Right now my thinking is that I may not take it on the long trips to SD or KS. However, it makes more sense on the spots I hunt closer to home, especially PA. In this situation I know the area a lot more and have a pretty good idea of where most of my hunting will be done so I wouldn't be moving the trailer over the course of one trip.

I've seen the 3rd week of the season bring sun and warm temps and I've been in blizzards. Most campgrounds cut off the water after the the 1st week.

Day County Inn is nice and a great family runs is (Zink's).

We've been rent ing a house the last several years. It works out to $25 / man per night.

I've seen the 3rd week of the season bring sun and warm temps and I've been in blizzards. Most campgrounds cut off the water after the the 1st week.

Day County Inn is nice and a great family runs is (Zink's).

We've been rent ing a house the last several years. It works out to $25 / man per night.

In Webster? I wouldnt mind some info if you dont mind

Back